the battle groups and formations

Users who are viewing this thread

jazzadellic

Recruit
I am having a little trouble understanding how best to use battle groups. Should you basically just break up your different types of units into separate battles? I think I was having trouble giving formation commands to specific units in my "main battle". I'm I correct in assuming you can only tell an entire battle a formation to use, and not individual units within a (mixed) battle? I would like hit the default infantry button 2, and then select the formation phalanx, but it would say in the left hand corner "main battle, phalanx formation!", and every unit in my battle would do the phalanx, I think....couldn't tell too well in the heat of battle. My basic question is: if you have 2 battle groups going, is there a way to get the horses to do the wedge, infantry phalanx, and archers line formations if they are all in the main battle?

My other question is, when you put a npc as the command of a new battle group, will the AI actually intelligently give it's own formation and charge commands? Or do I have to still tell each battle to make a formation and when to charge? (which is what I was trying to do my first attempt at using battles). I also saw something in a post about certain NPCs not working as battle commanders, but "the original members of the hawks work fine" or something, but the person failed to mention who the original members of the hawks are, so I have no idea what npcs they are talking about. Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to add more tips on how to use battles.

I'd also be interested in knowing if the troops you give to battles will still level up?

Looks like when the formation AI is on enabled, commanders won't listen to my commands at all, is that normal ?

I think units managed by commanders don't gain XP, so I've assigned them end-of-troop-tree units only.

Well one thing I've discovered is only certain npcs will work as battle commanders. If you give a command to a battle unit, like for example rearward battle, and it says "Nobody in rearward battle is left standing!", and it is at like the very start of the battle....that is a sign that you have given command of a battle to an npc that can't command them. I think they will also show up as Blue colored allies on the battle field, as opposed to green color (their names above their heads that is).

If you play as Gutts, then you can only use original members of the hawks (except I think casca and rickert) as battle commanders. So for example, later in your game, different npcs will join you after certain events happen. Like I had this guy named Magnifico or something, join later on. When I tried to give him command of a battle, it didn't work, because he wasn't one of the original members of the hawks. If you play as male or female, I think you can only use the mercenary officers you find in taverns...When you talk to them they will say they are specialized in commanding units in formations or something and cost like 5k to hire.

In fact, even with formation AI disabled, those commanders do as they please.

If you play as Gutts, then you can only use original members of the hawks (except I think casca and rickert) as battle commanders.

Good to know... that might explain what I have, since I play as Gatts, and my only commanders so far are new characters.

I need them anyway to gather as much trops as possible in my party. Those 300-ish armies running all around the map are bugging me  :razz:

I think they will also show up as Blue colored allies on the battle field, as opposed to green color (their names above their heads that is).

I thought that was completely normal, as allies are supposed to be blue when you join a battle to help another lord, for example.

Back
Top Bottom