confer nobility titles according to renown or fief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tacker

Recruit
stitle.png

I think it would be nice to gain nobility titles according to your renown or the fief you own.
For example:
at the beginning be only "Commoner" then "Knight", "Baron", "Viscount", "Count" etc etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

The titles could be just for fun or could have more practical use. For example:

you can participate in tournaments only if you have (x) title or above
you can participate in feasts only if you have (x) title or above
you can join campaigns only if you have (x) title or above
you can become vassal only if you have (x) title or above
you can visit the King only if you have (x) title or above
etc etc

What do you think? Suggestions? bad comments? please feel free to express yourself

Amir Kassad said:
Titles would be good indeed but something you could choose on

There will be different titles according to the faction you chose if this is what you mean.
Or you mean we should chose from the beginning?

I don't know about having restrictions to what you can do based on title, but it would be nice if, when you were awarded a fief, castle or town, you got a title based on that (Count of Dhirim or Earl of Estoc, for example)
it wouldn't really do much gameplay wise, but it would add to the immersion and roleplaying which, in an RPG, is almost as important  :mrgreen:

People had also different titles for different lands.

The King of England at one time was called, King of England, Duke of Normandy, Count of Anjou.

Katana_Geldar said:

The King of England at one time was called, King of England, Duke of Normandy, Count of Anjou.

that's sort of what I meant.
each village, castle and town has an associated title and those titles get added to your name in your character notes.

Urlik said:
Katana_Geldar said:

that's sort of what I meant.
each village, castle and town has an associated title and those titles get added to your name in your character notes.

And that way you don't have to think to figure out what vilage each count owns, and if they don't have any fief their title could just don't have any fiefs on it (eg: Count James instead of Count James of Suno)

rrdrl12 said:
i agree, but i dont like the restrictions. (you need (X) TITLE to be a vassal)

some of the restrictions are indeed bad, but others are nice.
i find it strange that as a commoner you can enter the king's castle and speak to him. on the field this is one thing, but a commoner was usually not allowed into the castle unless summoned by the liege himself. the titles, maybe... but i've got a char with 13 castles, 8 villages and 5 towns, that would be one hell of a title, wich would be nice, and bad at the same time, given that a greeting with another lord would take longer then the actual battle :smile:

i'm thinking more like, when you have no fiefs, you are a "man at arms" of the kingdom, this allows you to request a meeting with the vassals in their own castle, and maybe even the king.
next would be knight, once you get your first fief you would be knighted as lord protector of that fief, with all benefits like the right to speak to the king whenever pleased.
next would be duke or count, when you own several fiefs. this would come with the right to hold out lesser nobles from your castles themself, as give you the right to command lesser nobles of the land (like a one fief knight).
higher up you would have the king, who can basicly do whatever he pleases.

maybe some ranks in between, but this way the title would speak a rather big deal about the lord in question, meeting with "count clais" suggests he owns more then one fiefs, and that he's an intresting lad to know. meeting with "knight clais" would suggest he has lesser fiefs, and therefore less important. allso it would be nice to see equipment change depending on the title/wealth that comes with these privileges.

The way I would  do it for Swadia would be:

Lord/Lady: unlanded nobility
Baron/Baroness: own at least one village but no castles or towns
Count/Countess: own at least one castle, but no towns
Duke/Duchess: own at least one town

Becoming a mercenary in service of a king could get a knighthood, and the title Sir or Lady.

The advantage of having this is that you can get a quick idea of who the real movers and shakers of a particular kingdom are, eg Count Haringoth is less important than Duke Klargus. Obviously if somebody loses their only town they lose the title of Duke (they have lost their Duchy).

so if you had the town of Wercheg, you would be like, Duke(owns town) Jarl(belongs to Nords) -name- of Wercheg(owns Wercheg)

so all together for me it would be;

Duke, Jarl Lancecor of Wercheg. this is what i think.

or Jarl Lancecor, Duke of Wercheg

that way is easier to say and easier to tack other titles on after

or Jarl Lancecor, Earl of Chalbek, Duke of Wercheg, Duke of Rivacheg, Lord of Fearichen

lancecor said:
so if you had the town of Wercheg, you would be like, Duke(owns town) Jarl(belongs to Nords) -name- of Wercheg(owns Wercheg)

so all together for me it would be;

Duke, Jarl Lancecor of Wercheg. this is what i think.

I would rather go for faction specific titles. For Nords I would say something like

Lord/Lady (Swadian): Herra/Fru (Nord)
Baron/Baroness: Baron/Baronsfru
Count/Countess: Jarl/Greifafru
Duke/Duchess: Hertogi/Hertogafru

Incidentally, if people want to see what sort of titles were used outside England in Medieval Europe see http://heraldry.sca.org/titles.html . This is an SCA page, but should be pretty accurate.

we should have a list of;
1. The equivalent names of all faction ranks
2. requirements for each rank
3. All The Warband Lords listed with their new titles

4.possibly different banners to represent better nobility, like when you are free (example) you have a lion on a blue back, when you are a lord you have a lion with 2 stars (one on each side), then crossed swords ect. thats a bit much but i have seen people make an option to manually change your banner so it shouldn't be thaaaaat tough.

In terms of changing Heraldry based on rank what I would suggest is that the heraldry itself doesn't change, but the way it is displayed changes.

One possibility is to have the type of banner your army uses change depending on rank. The only rule of I am aware of historically is in Scotland, where the size of standard you were allowed to use was based on your rank. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldic_standard for more.

The other bit about heraldry that changed with rank was the "achievement of arms", which are basically those fancy drawings of the coat of arms with animals on either side, a motto on the bottom and a crown on top. I'd go with something like Lord or knight gets a helmet on top, Baron gets a motto, Count gets supporters and Duke gets a mantle, but that's a lot of effort for something that is purely visual.

I agree with you on he other stuff lanceor and will get back to you on that.

Back
Top Bottom