Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

Users who are viewing this thread

ancalimon said:
It's possible that Pope Leo told Attila the following sentence: "I am your father"
luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpg

NikeBG said:
ancalimon said:
It's possible that Pope Leo told Attila the following sentence: "I am your father"
luke-skywalker-nooooo1.jpg

Thanks for finding the appropriate picture. :wink:

Merlkir said:
Good grief, here I was, thinking that the only nation in the world not Turkic were the cold hearted Celts, who don't ever have fun. As we learnt in Ancalimon's ravings in the past.

By the way, "shire" never meant "flat place full of grass and water"- the real world sadly isn't Middle Earth.

shire - O.E. scir "administrative office or district," from P.Gmc. *skizo (cf. O.H.G. scira "care, official charge"). Ousted since 14c. by Anglo-Fr. county (q.v.). The gentrified sense is from The Shires (1796), used by people in other parts of England of those counties that end in -shire; sense transferred to the hunting country of the Midlands (1860).

Sooo... There were more "shires" for example on arid mountains?

If the word shire brings meadows, green fields and green hills to the mind of Tolkien, that etymology must be missing something.

Now that sounds actually quite reasonable - if the pope would tell me that he is my father, on Halloween, while me being disguised as a cool cowboy Hun, my head would also start to glow as if it were to explode while I would jump up in the air like crazy and take out my fancy black leather necklace whip in order to whip-tie the bugger and force him to his knees.

ancalimon said:
If the word shire brings meadows, green fields and green hills to the mind of Tolkien, that etymology must be missing something.
The word shire means a piece of land, and any kind of it, not just grassy hills. I'm sure if the Shire had been bigger, Tolkien would have named it Country.

Let's stop for a moment now to congratulate you on taking Tolkien amongst your sources. He really fits in well.

Bromden said:
ancalimon said:
The word shire means a piece of land, and any kind of it, not just grassy hills. I'm sure if the Shire had been bigger, Tolkien would have named it Country.

Let's stop for a moment now to congratulate you on taking Tolkien amongst your sources. He really fits in well.

Even if he did so, you are fully aware that:

country < konturöy

Kon: settle
Tur: laws, culture, agriculture, ...
Öy: place, country, state

or

Khagan darı~tōŕu~...

darı:  millet
dara: to scatter
dal (tas~tar): outer side
der: to collect, to gather
dar: narrow, a place with specified boundaries
dire: support, pole
töŕ: 1 foundation, root 2 origin, ancestors
töre-: to be born, originate
tōŕ: dust, earth, land
tȫr: honorary place in the house, country, earth (this is from where the word throne comes from)

NikeBG said:
No, not that millet - the Turkish millet. I want ancalimon's explanation for why does the English millet have little to do with the Turkish one. :razz:

millet roughly means nation in Turkish and it's an Arabic borrowing. During Ottoman times it meant semi-autonomous religious community based of choosing. (meaning I could have been a Muslim but if I didn't want to be a soldier, I could choose to belong with Christian community.

Originally it comes from ancient Egyptian "M" wrongly assumed as "MU". In fact it's not MU. The vowel should be at the beginning of the word but I'm not sure what it should be.

The English word millet might be related with the word "mile" which is related with Turkic "bin ~ min" meaning "thousand".  Or more probably related with bele meaning to mix together, to roll over.  (millet<bellet)  (let is a Turkic suffix. It entered English in the form of LET as in LET IT BE)

the mile part of the word mile-stone is a combination of two Turkic words.  bele (explained above) and bile (whet, hone, grind)

It's not, you know:  The word is one that was recovered from the Arabs, after they 'borrowed' it from proto-turkic, which is the original language and culture.

1 mile is equal to one thousand Turkic Paces, which are approximately 1.6metres each, on account of the Turkic peoples being so swaggering and athletic.
Hence the proof, if it was ever needed, that Everything Descends from Turk.

ancalimon said:
Even if he did so, you are fully aware that:

country < konturöy

Kon: settle
Tur: laws, culture, agriculture, ...
Öy: place, country, state

or

Khagan darı~tōŕu~...

darı:  millet
dara: to scatter
dal (tas~tar): outer side
der: to collect, to gather
dar: narrow, a place with specified boundaries
dire: support, pole
töŕ: 1 foundation, root 2 origin, ancestors
töre-: to be born, originate
tōŕ: dust, earth, land
tȫr: honorary place in the house, country, earth (this is from where the word throne comes from)

haha what the ****??!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thankyou for a good laugh, its wet and dark here and this made me laugh..

what youve done here is write out  a list of turkish (or turkish that you made up) and explained it in english.. how the **** does that show any link?! any ****ing link what so ****ing ever???!

sadly my bull**** filter didnt catch it this time

ancalimon said:
let is a Turkic suffix. It entered English in the form of LET as in LET IT BE
English "let" comes from Old English "lǣtan", which derives from Proto-Germanic "lētanan" (with the same semantics as the modern "let"), which is also the root of words with the same meaning in many other germanic languages, ie old and middle high german "lâʒen" which became "lassen" in modern german or swedish "låta".

So in no way "let" "entered English". If you really wanted to argue that way, your suffix would have had to "enter Proto-Germanic", if anything.

Problem is, the turkish suffix let has absolutely nothing to do with the semantics of "lētanan". Here are some random turkish words using the suffix (a great deal being borrowed words): alet; jilet; palet; bilet; atlet; ileti; iletim; millet; devlet; tablet; adalet. They are in no way semantically related with "lētanan" (not even with each other). Besides, it's rather senseless that a rather senseless suffix should turn into a verb in some other language. Why would someone take a foreign meaningless suffix and use it for something that is a very basic conecpt that was surely expressed before any foreign suffix was encountered? That makes no sense at all. Languages do not evolve like that.

Rule zum Rabensang said:
ancalimon said:
let is a Turkic suffix. It entered English in the form of LET as in LET IT BE
English "let" comes from Old English "lǣtan", which derives from Proto-Germanic "lētanan" (with the same semantics as the modern "let"), which is also the root of words with the same meaning in many other germanic languages, ie old and middle high german "lâʒen" which became "lassen" in modern german or swedish "låta".

So in no way "let" "entered English". If you really wanted to argue that way, your suffix would have had to "enter Proto-Germanic", if anything.

Problem is, the turkish suffix let has absolutely nothing to do with the semantics of "lētanan". Here are some random turkish words using the suffix (a great deal being borrowed words): alet; jilet; palet; bilet; atlet; ileti; iletim; millet; devlet; tablet; adalet. They are in no way semantically related with "lētanan" (not even with each other). Besides, it's rather senseless that a rather senseless suffix should turn into a verb in some other language. Why would someone take a foreign meaningless suffix and use it for something that is a very basic conecpt that was surely expressed before any foreign suffix was encountered? That makes no sense at all. Languages do not evolve like that.

wrong list..  Also there are some words like "ileti" there in which there is no let suffix. The root of that word for example is "il" and the suffix is "et".

Wrong answer. I just accidentally copied ileti/iletim from another list when i copied the others. Sorry for that.
But that's not the point of my post. Re-read it please, than answer without trying to get away cheaply.

Rule zum Rabensang said:
Wrong answer. I just accidentally copied ileti/iletim from another list when i copied the others. Sorry for that.
But that's not the point of my post. Re-read it please, than answer without trying to get away cheaply.

Apparently that word entered Proto-Germanic  from the Turkic suffix.  The suffix let gives the meaning of "to let it, to allow it," to the verb. It also converts a verb into noun depending on the usage.

so for example as guessed by some people, the so-called Greek word "athlete" comes from a Turkic root + the suffix let:

at : jump, throw, sprint, move from point a to point b  (I guess there are more things athletes do but I guess this is enough proof)
let, lat : the Turkic suffix

Back
Top Bottom