Is Mythology the turth disguised as a Tale? or a Tale to disguise a Turth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Actually, bozo, the word athlete, as for its greek root αθλητής (athletes), is derived from the word άθλος (athlos), which, allow me to tell you has little to do with jumping, throwing or whatever else monkeys do.

The ancient Greek ἆθλος which derives from the word of the same language ἄεθλον, which means "prize". So, athlos is the general term for a contest that rewards the victor with any form of a prize, without necessarily containing physical feats or being limited to them, but always contained the form of competition know as άμιλλα (amilla) which was competition without rivalry. It also has the meaning of hard labour, as known by Herakles' 12 labours, know in Greek as "Οι δώδεκα άθλοι του Ηρακλή".

So, yes, it's so funny, 'cause you're blabbering, you know.

Gr0vZ said:
Actually, bozo, the word athlete, as for its greek root αθλητής (athletes), is derived from the word άθλος (athlos), which, allow me to tell you has little to do with jumping, throwing or whatever else monkeys do.

The ancient Greek ἆθλος which derives from the word of the same language ἄεθλον, which means "prize". So, athlos is the general term for a contest that rewards the victor with any form of a prize, without necessarily containing physical feats or being limited to them, but always contained the form of competition know as άμιλλα (amilla) which was competition without rivalry. It also has the meaning of hard labour, as known by Herakles' 12 labours, know in Greek as "Οι δώδεκα άθλοι του Ηρακλή".

So, yes, it's so funny, 'cause you're blabbering, you know.

Apperantly it's somehow also related with:

Turkish öde (to pay, to . I don't know the Proto-Turkic for this word. But there are other forms of it in other Turkic dialects.

Turkic üt (to win a competition, to surpass and win a prize, to steal, to hold over fire (thus here comes clean the myth of Prometheus and the Olympic flame... It was probably about a Hellene (not Turkic person) that stole the secret of fire from the Ions (Turkic people) or it was a Turk that stole the fire from some other people. Can't know)).

But I still think the core of this concept is not winning a prize but simply show ones talents.

Apparently, you're somehow making as much sense as 1+1=3.

There is no apparent way the such words as öde or üt have any relation to the words I gave you the etymologies for. I also see that άμιλλα sweeps away all your arguments. Groovy word, isn't it? No language on earth has a similar one, or, at least a correct definition that can be made by the use of one word. This is what ancient languages are, not short derivations, which anyone, like you, can do. This isn't playing with Lego to make words, it's words that exist by their sole purpose.

Also, in ancient Greece there wasn't a concept of talent. There was a wide belief that every man (since women did not have an active place in the society) could become the best out of the best. Ancient Hellenians valued testaments of effort to become the best much more than the natural keeness of a person in some discipline.

You do know that Prometheus, in mythology, was a Titan, not a mortal, right? I guess you don't.

Gr0vZ said:
Apparently, you're somehow making as much sense as 1+1=3.

There is no apparent way the such words as öde or üt have any relation to the words I gave you the etymologies for. I also see that άμιλλα sweeps away all your arguments. Groovy word, isn't it? No language on earth has a similar one, or, at least a correct definition that can be made by the use of one word. This is what ancient languages are, not short derivations, which anyone, like you, can do. This isn't playing with Lego to make words, it's words that exist by their sole purpose.

Also, in ancient Greece there wasn't a concept of talent. There was a wide belief that every man (since women did not have an active place in the society) could become the best out of the best. Ancient Hellenians valued testaments of effort to become the best much more than the natural keeness of a person in some discipline.

You do know that Prometheus, in mythology, was a Titan, not a mortal, right? I guess you don't.

That Titan thing is an exaggeration. He was called a "titan" because he did something extraordinary. So in reality, titans never existed. You can trust me on this one.

And people do not create words with complex meanings out of their asses. They create simple words with simple meanings out of their asses.

You did notice that I used the word "mythology", before mentioning Prometheus was a Titan, did you? Plus, the metaphoric use of the word "titanic" to describe deeds is fairly new. Titans were pretty much god-like, and ancient people weren't very enthusiastic about comparing themselves to them, as it was considered hubris.

People do not create complex meanings. People create complex notions and concepts. Wrap you head around this, for once.

Cafer said:
These words aren't Turkish.

Oh really?
Rule zum Rabensang said:
(a great deal being borrowed words)

ancalimon said:
Rule zum Rabensang said:
Wrong answer. I just accidentally copied ileti/iletim from another list when i copied the others. Sorry for that.
But that's not the point of my post. Re-read it please, than answer without trying to get away cheaply.

Apparently that word entered Proto-Germanic  from the Turkic suffix.  The suffix let gives the meaning of "to let it, to allow it," to the verb.
Please prove that suffix meaning with a reliable source.
Then - and this is the main meaning of my last post - convince me that someone could feel the need to use a foreign suffix as a verb. Especially for some basic concept that exists in every language. Why should someone do this?

ancalimon said:
It also converts a verb into noun depending on the usage.
This makes it even more inappropriate for using it as a stand-alone verb.

actually, if all you doubters look at an ancient map of Turck, it appears in the shape of a swollen placenta attached to an undersized embryo by a near-invisible umbilical cord.
Even looking at the modern 'images' retouched and faked by the evil Western professors and their lying geostationary satellites you can see the shadow of this in the asian and european parts of Turkey.

Surely this is all the proof you need, that Turck is the mother of all things?

Go Ancalimon, champion of Historical Truth and linguistic accuracy.

ancalimon said:
That Titan thing is an exaggeration. He was called a "titan" because he did something extraordinary. So in reality, titans never existed. You can trust me on this one.
Congratulations ancalimon, you made me laugh out loud.

ancalimon said:
at : jump, throw, sprint, move from point a to point b  (I guess there are more things athletes do but I guess this is enough proof)
It's funny how Turkic words have a hundred different meanings, like the above-mentioned "at" also commonly means a horse/courser/stallion. So I guess the word "athlete" might have appeared when some ancient Turkic guy said "Let the horses go! We'll start running across the steppes instead of them, with all that luggage the poor horseys have to carry! Yay, let my horses go!". And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the first athlete was born! :smile:

Oh, and, of course - since the other Turkic guys rightfully thought that first athlete was either a wacko or an idiot (what we'd call "lumpen" - I bet that's Turkic too), they called the games he played "Lumpen games". Eventually, when the Greeks heard of them, they added the letter "o" at the beginning (IIRC, they really do, or did, so in some cases - maybe as a form of "the"? I'm not quite sure) and appropriated that concept under the name Olympen->Olympic games.

NikeBG said:
ancalimon said:
at : jump, throw, sprint, move from point a to point b  (I guess there are more things athletes do but I guess this is enough proof)
It's funny how Turkic words have a hundred different meanings, like the above-mentioned "at" also commonly means a horse/courser/stallion. So I guess the word "athlete" might have appeared when some ancient Turkic guy said "Let the horses go! We'll start running across the steppes instead of them, with all that luggage the poor horseys have to carry! Yay, let my horses go!". And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the first athlete was born! :smile:

Oh, and, of course - since the other Turkic guys rightfully thought that first athlete was either a wacko or an idiot (what we'd call "lumpen" - I bet that's Turkic too), they called the games he played "Lumpen games". Eventually, when the Greeks heard of them, they added the letter "o" at the beginning (IIRC, they really do, or did, so in some cases - maybe as a form of "the"? I'm not quite sure) and appropriated that concept under the name Olympen->Olympic games.

So joking aside, what do you think could the core meaning of this word could have been?

at: jump, throw, shoot, sprint, horse, movement from point a to point b, skip

movement? Babies in Turkey say atta when they understand that they are going to go somewhere. I have been told that the Greek babies say the same word when they understand that they are going to go somewhere. So the word was invented by babies?

I always thought they meant to say "tata" (as in "tate", meaning "daddy" on Bulgarian). Though, oh well, I guess they just love horse-riding their fathers...

ancalimon said:
movement? Babies in Turkey say atta when they understand that they are going to go somewhere. I have been told that the Greek babies say the same word when they understand that they are going to go somewhere. So the word was invented by babies?

Trolololo.

You must realise that the modern Greek nation is whatever resulted out of 400 years of Ottoman rule, no? In Greece, many gestures, as well as laic expressions come from their usage back from between the 15th and 19th centuries, and for no other reason.

Do you need examples? I'll even translate them for those that are not acquainted with any of those two languages, but I am sure, ancalimon, that just by the primitive sound of those words, you can easily figure out their counterparts in turkish. And, believe me, in Greece, hundreds of these small words are used, without even people realising they use turkish words which stuck to folsky speech.

Ζόρι (zori) - difficulty, toil

Σαματάς (samatas) - noise

Κέφι (kefi) - fun

Αμάν (aman) - an idiomatic expression, something like "for mercy's sake"

Μπαρούτι (baruti) - blackpowder (note that Greeks came in their greater contact with firearms under the Ottoman rule)

Μπουντρούμι (budrumi) - dungeon

Βρε (vre) - a form of a calling idiom

Νταλαβέρι (dalaveri) - trick with deceit in mind

Νταλκάς (dalkas) - love sorrow

Φυσέκι (fiseki) - cartridge (similar to blackpowder)

These are just a few that come up to my mind now. You won't get these words taught in school, but don't be surprised if a teacher calls out to you with a "vre!".

And no, babies don't say "ata". Adults say ata to babies when going for a walk. Just like when they say "nani" when it comes for bedtime, and "mam" when they're about to be fed. But an adult won't say to another "Πάμε άτα" (Let's go for an "atta"), as the actual word for a walk is "περίπατος" (peripatos). I wonder if any Greek realises what "atta" might actually mean, which I mentioned above.

You wouldn't even consider a relationship between Greeks and Turks before around 10th century.

On the other hand, I extremely suspect that the Tuarçi  (Turki) mentioned by Chinese and the Dorijewe (Dorians) are the same.

And the Homeric Dourios Hippos meaning Wooden Horse is also talking about a "Tur" rather than "wood".

The Tur consisting of many different ethnic people that looked different.

So Greeks in my eyes are Tur people that did not mix with Native Americans, Russians, Persians, Chinese and Mongols.

The PIE deru which is the supposed root of the word "tree" is related with Turkic dir meaning: to come to life, to be rooted, to hold up, to provide support, to provide support for life, subsistence.
We still have many words related with this root meaning.  diri: alive  dirlik: subsistence  direk: support, backbone, pole  diremek: to hold up  dirilmek: to revive, to return to life  derlemek: to gather, to collect ....

Rule zum Rabensang said:
I give up on you explaining to me why someone should borrow a foreign suffix as a verb for an already articulated basic concept.  :???:

There is no borrowing. The words existed in the Turkic form and were transformated into corrupted forms. Turkic sentences were divided into meaningless parts creating unrelated or roughly related words.

Turkic is agglutinative as in "result of natural human progression"

For example we have a Turkic root here called "ek". We can create thousands of different words and sentences by adding suffixes with special meanings to this word.
ek: addition, suffix, supplement, adjunct, insertion
ekle: make it join, glue together, add the suffix
eklet: order someone do the action of "ekle"
ekletin: this sentence is said by someone ordering other people to create new words by combining roots with suffixes.

et: do, make, render

(of course there are other possible meanings of this sentence depending on how you see the root.  for example ekleti would mean a new thing created out of smaller parts to fit into another concept)

Here we have the word agglutinate explaining what it is in Turkic in a broken way.

For example in this word, "ekle" meaning glue,join together in Turkish can be seen in the form "glue" in IE languages.

This is not a coincidence because it usually happens.
It might have been a coincidence if it was only a word called "egg". But it consists of so many suffixes that explains what it is.

I also know about Turkic words that are extremely related with the root "ek". Like "iki, eki" meaning "two".

What I see is real. It's astonishing and it seems like an old fantastic icon adventure game. Weird. It's like fantasy meets reality. Frightening.

After all these things I've discovered, I'm left with choices within the context of things that are related.

1-) Bible is right, God got angry and jealous and confused the only spoken language on Earth from which all of language were created. People stopped understanding each other and started making wars because of this and God became happy once again.
2-) Quran is right and some people who had power and wanted more corrupted the old holy books and the part about Babylon was added by those people.
3-) Turkic is the ancestor of Proto-Indo-European

Simply because of political and religious issues, Eurocentric researchers whose ancestors had a deep hatred for Turks for being as*holes announce agglutinative languages in Europe and Anatolia as isolated. They were Turks themselves. You guys are descendents of my ancestors and I'm only talking about 2000, 3000, 6000, 10000 years. Not 100000 years.

Gr0vZ said:

Κέφι (kefi) - fun

Μπαρούτι (baruti) - blackpowder (note that Greeks came in their greater contact with firearms under the Ottoman rule)

Hah, we use at least half of those words as well (and many other Turkish ones, of course). F.e. one of my classmates from high school used to use the dialectic "Sus bre maskari" as a joke (and I bet that's a fully Turkish sentence (no sarcasm here)).

ancalimon said:
For example in this word, "ekle" meaning glue,join together in Turkish can be seen in the form "glue" in IE languages.
"Glue" is an English, not a pan-IE word. In Bulgarian f.e. (which, being a Slavic language, is also IE) the word is "lepilo". And I don't know of a linguistic rule for the turning of a G to a P or vice versa. :razz:

NikeBG said:
Gr0vZ said:

Κέφι (kefi) - fun

Hah, we use at least half of those words as well (and many other Turkish ones, of course). F.e. one of my classmates from high school used to use the dialectic "Sus bre maskari" as a joke (and I bet that's a fully Turkish sentence (no sarcasm here)).

ancalimon said:
"Glue" is an English, not a pan-IE word. In Bulgarian f.e. (which, being a Slavic language, is also IE) the word is "lepilo". And I don't know of a linguistic rule for the turning of a G to a P or vice versa. :razz:

"sus bre maskara" means something like "shush you jester, you laughingstock"

I don't know but if that word was lopilo, it could have been related with "topla" meaning "collect (together) to make a lump"

Gr0vZ said:
Κέφι (kefi) - fun
I dont know what this is

Gr0vZ said:
I thought this was Arabic version of the Greek word pyrite or something like that?
Gr0vZ said:
I thought this was also related to something Greek

Gr0vZ said:
This exists only in Balkan dialects of Turkish, I would relate it to one of the Balkan languages. Something related to "brother" perhaps?

Gr0vZ said:
The only thing I can relate this to in Turkish is dalga, which means wave.

ancalimon said:
"sus bre maskara" means something like "shush you jester, you laughingstock"
I know, I already said it's a sentence full of Turkish words borrowed in (now archaic/dialectic) Bulgarian.

ancalimon said:
I don't know but if that word was lopilo, it could have been related with "topla" meaning "collect (together) to make a lump"
"Lopilo" sounds more like "lyupilo", which means "hatchery". "LEpilo" means "glue". And "topla" is the feminine form of the adjective "warm". :razz:

Allegro said:
Gr0vZ said:
Κέφι (kefi) - fun
I dont know what this is
I'm pretty certain "kef" is a Turkish word (or at least we've borrowed it from there, whereas its origins might eventually be Persian or Arabic, if they're not Turkic). The same way "laf" is also a Turkic word (laf-mohabet = group LOL? :razz:).

Back
Top Bottom