AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not to have you worry.... I just fought some battles against some all Huskarl armies, and they are no picnic in 1.125...
Even on 1/4 1/2 (easiest, oh shame and horror) damage my elite vaegir were no match against an equal sized force.... I recommend stocking up on top tire troops for you and your loyal vasals.

Cheers,

Gerard

Looking forward to reading about the war, wont be long until you have crushed the nords and united all the north... Leaving a US style North vs South war. :grin:
<grabs popcorn>

Gerard Mulder said:
Not to have you worry.... I just fought some battles against some all Huskarl armies, and they are no picnic in 1.125...
Even on 1/4 1/2 (easiest, oh shame and horror) damage my elite vaegir were no match against an equal sized force.... I recommend stocking up on top tire troops for you and your loyal vasals.

Cheers,

Gerard
My advice is to box Huscarls in or otherwise distract them; they'll be a b***h in the open field but lethal in sieges. A line of Huscarls on a town wall will almost surely kill your force; minimum size may well be necessary.

You should spend some time hunting down nord jarls with a large cavalry force and just pwning them in the field, then get a force of infantry and archers and start going after the castles.

archers are your best bet against huscarls, as the only way to beat huscarls in a fight is to not fight them  =p

The easiest way to kill a House Carl (Huscarl is old english or scandinavian) is to get a very long pike and spear them with it repetitively.

Mrr.Phil said:
The easiest way to kill a House Carl (Huscarl is old english or scandinavian) is to get a very long pike and spear them with it repetitively.
And hope they don't raise their shield or get into facehug range.

Very well done. I really like it, and I like it even more because of the pics. They take up space so the story seems shorter. :smile:

Gerard Mulder: Hm... Good advice. I shall try to upgrade as many men as possible.

Dohati: Haha, and in the end I'll then form the United States of Calradia :smile:.

Bobsama: I'm afraid I'll have to face them now. But you say I should have some on my side too?

Malik Faris: So I should pack my sharpshooters before I go after them.

Mrr.Phil: Ah, didn't know that the word comes from there. Nice to know, thanks! And poking them with a stick... Maybe I should get some Rhodoks on my side?

Falcon Critical: That would be a problem indeed.

heckani & KillerDudeMan: Thanks!

I'm sorry for my absence last week: it was a pretty busy week after all. My birthday, my birthday party, cooking for more than a dozen people, biking across the country, writing and the soccer match. I hadn't had any time to continue my game in Warband :shock:. But now I can get back to it.

Happy birthday Monnikje.

I would advice you to use the Nords strenght and weakness against them. Get yourself some Huscarls yourself and lot's of cavalry (heavily armoured for their throwing weapons and axes). Use the huscarls during sieges en mass, in the field use them to face the Nords while you take your cavalry on a BBQ with as specialty: Huscarls on a stick!

I don't remember if they have 2 shields of just one, but i do know that their flank (right flank) is extremely weak, and every blow their gave me a clear kill.

I hope you can do something with this info. Good luck.

:shock: After reading some of your stories I guess I should stop modding and actually play the game again  :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! It was indeed a great birthday party. It's always nice to have friends around, and even more fun to cook for them. I made this year an Afghan dish: Qabili Pilau, with some freshly baked Indonesian spekkoek as a desert. I also got a very cool razor blade: a straight razor, brand new model from Dovo Solingen. Hehe, my model is so brand new, they don't have it on their website yet. To give you an impression of how such a razor looks like, I've got here an image of one that resembles it (although mine has a darker handle):

141588DOVO.jpg

Image from scheerwinkel.nl

I really have to relearn how to shave again... And stop cutting myself. But well, in the end it's worth it, since I'm getting better shaved than with the gilette fusion I had before.

Anyway, back to business :smile:.

William de Beaujeu: I'll do my best to train some huscarls. Unfortunately I hadn't trained them before the start of the war, but since the Nords are great it won't be too late if I start now. Thanks for the tips!

heckani: Sorry for the waiting, but the next update will now be there in a few minutes :smile:.

Dohati: Hadn't I seen some western mods somewhere? That would be fitting when I form it.

Lord Brutus: Thanks: yeah, too bad they got that goal against them in the last few minutes.

Waihti: Modding is fun, but in the end you should still play the game :mrgreen:. Good luck!

Chapter 44: Conquering a peninsula
11 June 1260

Dear Diary,

It is war! After a long time of peace, there had been an incident between villagers of both mine and king Ragnar's country. That's the moment everything started to spin out of control. I must confess that I found it the perfect opportunity to let things go astray. Holland was divided by the Nords, and that needed to change. So one thing led to another, and before anyone knew it, there was a war between the two greatest factions of Calradia.

The army I had gathered consisted of 14 lords with all their men. I took myself 30 of my finest Sarranid mamlukes, 30 of my best Swadian sharpshooters and 30 promising Nord recruits. During the campaign I would need to train them into huscarls, some of the meanest fighters Calradia has ever seen. I also ordered Miles de Gloucester, my constable, to recruit more Nords, Sarranids and Swadians while I was away. With everything in order, all arranged, I was ready for the campaign. I rode out towards Wercheg, the most northern Nord city.

044a.png

Me an my army rode out.

While I was on the road to the first city, along with more than 1700 men, I met a few of the enemy nobles. First I saw jarl Meltor, who really didn't like me. There was no way he would walk over to me, so I attacked and took him prisoner and rode on to Wercheg. But as I approached their gates, I saw both king Ragnar himself and jarl Irya riding in the field. The jarl was closer to the city, so I first intercepted him. I bashed the army, consisting mostly of huscarls, by the sheer number of elite forces. Unfortunately he escaped. Then I moved on to the enemy leader. We were polite, but still I needed him prisoner for a swift progress. So I charged with my army, and knocked out his force of over 300 men. Unfortunately he escaped, but his army wouldn't bother me during the siege of Wercheg.

Then the moment I rode north for arrived: I laid siege to the city of Wercheg. Within four hours I had ladders prepared, and attacked with my entire army. There were only 300 defenders against my 1700 attackers, how bad could it be? But to be sure I ordered archers to fire a lot of bolts onto the walls while the rest of my men stormed the ladders. Despite my sheer number, it was a heavy siege. Those huscarls were quite some strong defenders. In the end they were all killed, although the lonely jarl Irya managed to sneak away. But my losses were a lot heavier. 355 men dead and 199 wounded: it was a bitter victory.

044b.png

The attack on the city of Wercheg was hard, but luckily I was a beacon to victory for my men.

After I captured the place, I immediately bought some salt. A war wasn't enough to stop my lust for trading. To secure my newly conquered peninsula, there were still two castles to overwhelm, so I decided to ride to these northern bastions. But when I wanted to march out, I noticed that lords Karaban, Stamar and Tirida abandoned the army to ride back to their cozy little fiefs. Those chickens... With many dead and wounded and them leaving, my manpower was halved, I noticed when I rode near the village of Jayek. That's where I met jarl Surdun. Even though he sympathised with my cause, he was loyal to his king, and I couldn't let him escape with his army. So with my remaining 824 fit men I charged him, and killed almost all his soldiers. He escaped barely, after which we marched on, to Alburq castle.

Before we reached that place, a messenger came running towards me: my newly conquered city was under siege by jarl Dirigun, and more were on their way. Immediately I turned around, and rode back. The first one I met was jarl Bulba.He too sympathized with my cause, but didn't want to abandon his master. I taught him the unwiseness of that decision. Unfortunately he escaped too, so I moved on to the city, where I faced the small siege camp, encircling an even smaller city defence. Luckily my army, slowly refilling their ranks, accompanied me, so we ended this nonsense quite fast by capturing that porky jarl Dirigun.

044c.png

In the hilly northern landscape I led my army against some renegade jarls and their armies.

After the capture of this noble, the peninsula was really mine. Now I stand here on the walls of Wercheg, smelling the dyeworks that colour the city and look out to the village of Jayek. The war is still only a few days young, but still I made great progress. but at what cost? Many men died, some lords ran off and the Nords are now raiding my villages. It's time to go home already, to put two men in the prison tower and capture some castles on the way.

044d.png

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
044e.png

The first phase of the war shows the conquest of the city of Wercheg just a few days after it started.
044f.png

The long anticipated chapter has arrived and it sure lived up to it's expectation.

I'm kinda hoping the nords gather their army and meet you head on  :razz:. That would be epic...

Back
Top Bottom