AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

Kellick said:
Hey Monn, speaking of trade. Did you notice if Suno stopped producing wine in volume since you updated?

Just started a new game and there's basically no wine in Suno. Maybe it just takes a while for the production to get going, but I'm on day 50 and the 5 units of wine they have are around 250/pce.

Kellick: Yes, I noticed. Wine is now harder to get for a decent price, and virtually non-existant in Suno.

Yskonyn: Good to hear you're doing better now :smile:.

Chapter 41: Industrial revolution
12 April 1260

Dear Diary,

The last four months I've been very busy with my newly founded Floris Industries. Last year, at the beginning of December, the war with the Khergit ended in a complete conquest of their territories and extermination of their faction. Pretty soon I though of starting my own businesses. I had traded before, but now I would also produce. I had started by building an ironworks in Khudan, which worked like a charm. Now I needed to expand further. First I would take over ventures in Hollandic cities, and then in the other factions of Calradia. I wouldn't only rule the lands, but also the industry. Only one question remained: what was a good industry to dominate the landscape with? I knew that whatever industry I'd start, I could build only one per city, and story 42 units of the raw materials in the inventory. Was the ironworks I had build in Khudan really a good choice? I looked at all of my options:

Bread: For 1500 denars I could buy a mill and bakery, to make bread from grain. Even though it's the cheapest initial investment, it's not really worth the trouble. 6 units of grain will be converted into 6 units of bread, so a full warehouse will last only 7 weeks. After that time the baker will search the local market for grain. Cheap grain can be bought for 20 denars per unit, but bread is mostly sold for 50 denars. Also the working crew costs 30 denars per week, giving a profit of 150 denars per week. Not only will the initial costs be earned in 10 weeks, the profit is so low that it's actually not worth the trouble.
Ale: A brewery seems to be a better investment than a bakery. Only 1 unit of grain is needed to produce 2 units of ale, which sell for 120 each. The workforce costs 50 denars per week. That means the profit is 170 per week, and the stock can hold out for 42 weeks. This seems a lot better than producing bread. The only downside is the initial building costs: 2500 denars, which will take 15 weeks to earn back.
Leather: A tannery has one of the highest build costs: 8000 denars. The workers cost 50 denars per week, and they convert 3 units of hides, which you can get for 90 each, into 3 units of leather, which sell for 220 denars. That's a profit of 340 per week. A lot better than the previous two, although the stock only lasts for 14 weeks. The big downside are the buildcosts, which take 24 weeks to pay back for.
Wine: wine presses cost 5000 denars to build, and the men stamping those grapes cost 60 denars per week. Grapes can be bought for as low as 90 denars each, while wine mostly sells for 220 each. Of course this can be raised in certain cities to be over 300 denars, but for my analysis I'm using the averages. The workers use 4 units of grapes to produce 2 units of wine. That's a profit of 20 per week. If build in a profitable city it can be raised to 180 per week. The inventory will be out of stock in 10 weeks, while earning the initial investment costs 28 weeks in a profitable city and 250 weeks in an average one.
Oil: An olive press is cheaper than a wine press, costing only 4500 denars. The workforce is more expensive: 80 denars per week. And even though oil sells for a nice 450 denars per unit, there is a large catch: you need 6 units of olives, which you can buy for 120 denars each, to produce 2 units of oil. In 7 weeks you'll be out of stock, and the profit is only 100 per week. It would take 45 weeks to make earn your investment back.
Tool: Tools seem to be very profitable. Not only has an ironworks a very low buildcost of 3500 denars, they also use 2 units of iron, which you can buy for around 100 denars each, to produce 2 units of tools, which sell for 410 each. The workers are cheap too: only 60 denars per week. That means a profit of 560 per week, allowing you to earn your investment back in only 7 weeks. And another bright side: the stock will run out in only 21 weeks.
Velvet: The trade good that is most expensive to buy, selling for 1025 each. Is it worth the trouble? You'd need 2 units of raw silk, costing 600 denars each, and one unit of dyes, which can be obtained for as low as 150 denars, to produce 2 units of velvet. This means the supply lasts for 14 weeks. The workforce is expensive, costing 160 denars per week. A profit of 540 per week can be obtained, which sounds pretty nice. But the initial buildcosts of the weavery and dyeworks are 10,000 denars: it would take 19 weeks before you'd earned that back.
Wool Cloth & Line: Both the production of Wool Cloth and Line is very similar. Both use a weavery, which has a buildcost of 6000 denars; both use a similar workforce costing 120 denars per week; both use 2 units of raw materials to produce 2 units of the end product, meaning the supply can last for 21 weeks; both sell on the market for 250 denars each. The only difference is in the raw materials: obtained at the right place, you can get flax for 40 denars each, and wool for 50. Wool cloth thus gives a profit of 280 denars per week, meaning the investment will be earned back in 22 weeks, while Linen gives a profit of 300 denars per week, earning back the buildcosts in 20 weeks.

It seemed to me that I had made the right choice. The iron needed to produce the tools could be obtained mainly in Ahmerrad, Dhirim and Curaw in only a week, while it would last for 5 months. I made up my mind: I would slowly build ironworks in all the Hollandic cities. The black smoke from the chimneys would blacken the sky, and the industrial output would be enormous. This will be a revolution. An industrial revolution.

041a.png

The chimneys from the ironworks of Khudan blacken the sky. This will lure workers from far away, showing them that there's work available in town, while creating a really good profit for my treasury.

I set out to start the revolution in all of my eastern cities. Rivacheg, Curaw, Ichamur and Tulga: I bought land in them all, and ordered some very good smiths to start building foundries over there, while I was out in the field collecting very cheap iron. For that I had to travel mainly between the cities of Curaw, Dhirim and Ahmerrad, although some nearby villages also provided me with good and cheap iron. Each ironworks took a week to complete, but collecting such large amounts of iron took a little more time. It wasn't until 10 January 1260 that I finally finished my rounds and my tool industry in my homeland was finally at full capacity.

After I put the last iron in the warehouse of the ironworks of Tulga, I looked to the west. There were two of my cities too, but they were far away. I would pass a lot of other cities on the way, and if I expanded my ventures to there, others might easily copy it. Hadn't they always copied my style? When I decided to let my men wear the colours of my banner, others followed. And when I stopped doing that, the rest followed too. Who said they wouldn't set up an industry in their cities too? I needed to be the first, to get the best fruits. So I decided to expand my business beyond my territory, to turn my industry into a multinational corporation. The first steps were easy: Narra and Reyvadin were pretty close, along with Dhirim and Halmar: those four were the first foreign cities in which I founded foundries. But unfortunately it took me quite some time to get enough iron to make all those foundries fully operational. It took till today, 12 April 1260, to get the industry at its full capacity. I think I need to look for alternatives for the rest of Calradia, since more ironworks foundries won't get their full operational status with the current production of iron.

041b.png

Thanks to Floris Industries my weekly budget flourishes like never before.

While I rode from city to city to gather iron for my industry, some interesting developments happened in the international politics. Sultan Hakim of the Sarranid Empire recognised my might, and shocked by my swift conquest of the Khergits, he twice offered me a 30-day nonaggression pact. Both times I accepted, which improved our standing considerably. Also both the Sarranids and the Nords fought fiercely against the Rhodoks, pushing them back little by little. Even though they fought independently, it wouldn't surprise me if they had made an arrangement. Hakim is quite a smart diplomatic ruler. I think I'll start my new branch of industry in his sultanate.

041c.png

Gameplay notes
I'm pro tools! Not only seem they to be the most profitable business venture, but also I started last month to work at the tool department of the local hardware store, also the uncle of my grandmother founded one of the largest tool rentals of the Netherlands.
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
041d.png

The Rhodoks have been pushed back, losing Praven to the Nords and another castle to the Sarranids.
041e.png

Very cool to see you starting the industrial revolution, several centuries early. I'd love to try the money-making myself but I have to wait until Taleworlds makes it official. I'm so digitally challenged I'd probably end up making tools out of velvet. lol
Anyway, another nice chapter, thanks.
Actually, I think the most profitable venture would be a brothel. Build it with some velvet and leather, save some peasant women from bandits, upgrade them to camp followers and there you go. Would probably be game-breaking though, considering the profit margin. lol

It's actually not that hard to enable it: just change one 1 into an 0, and the feature is enabled and you can use it in all its full glory :smile:.

Kellick said:
So we've found a half-finished feature. If you talk to a guildmaster with cheatmenu on you get the option to "buy land for a profitable venture" You then are given a list of the different businesses you could start and how much they will cost, and approximately how much it will cost to run and how profitable it might be.

Here is the guildmaster dialogue from conversation.txt:
dlga_mayor_talk:mayor_investment_possible 69631 1095  2 30 2 144115188075856163 1 567 3 288230376151711845 57 288230376151711844 I_wish_to_buy_land_in_this_town_for_a_productive_enterprise  1121  0 NO_VOICEOVER
and thanks to kefka95 here is what it needs to be changed to so that it works without cheatmenu:
dlga_mayor_talk:mayor_investment_possible 69631 1095  2 30 2 144115188075856163 0 567 3 288230376151711845 57 288230376151711844 I_wish_to_buy_land_in_this_town_for_a_productive_enterprise  1121  0 NO_VOICEOVER

I do have some pretty good relations with a lot of noble girls... Maybe I can convince them to do some shady business for me?

Loving every bit of it, Monnik!
Very cool feature found there! It opens up a whole alternative line of playing the game.
You are a great inspirator for my own adventures. Maybe I'll start an AAR of my own in a while.  :lol:

Slayton said:
Kill the Nords!!! SAVE THE RHODOKS!!!! They are the best Crossbowmen in the game, they can help you!

This is Calradia baby, survival of the fittest, Nords FTW! There are no 'Save the Rhodoks' foundation just because they suck balls :smile:

No, but there is a save-the-floris foundation. Monnikje, I think you need to either turn your attentions to the Sarranids or the Nords, because both of them are starting to rival you in might, and they're both currently in a war. While if you let them go at it, the Rhodoks will be defeated - a plus, certainly - they will also become much more powerful. If you're in a peace treaty with the Sarranids, then I'd get rid of the Nords next.

Hah, Monn, I liked your jab at noble ladies and "shady business". Why don't you make Holland just like the actual Netherlands and support prostitution as a booming industry  :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Was that hitting.......below the belt? *ba dum tss*  :mrgreen:

Yskonyn: The feature is awesome. I agree, it opens a whole new aspect of the game, which I'm exploring now.
I hope to see one of yours soon then :smile:.

Phoss: Salty chocolate balls?

socks: Thát foundation is there for certain :grin:. A special trust fund raised by Lady Nelda, in case something happens to me.

Slayton: Maybe if they voluntarily join the great Hollandic Empire?

Lord Barrett:I think I should first grow hennep for... ropes, of course. What else were you thinking? :wink:

I made a short poll, running till Thursday evening, about whom I should attack next. Since I'm already working on the next chapter, you won't see it happen in chapter 42. But after the vote closes, I'll gather my army and march to who you think my next victim should be:

Nords: They split my land in several pieces. If I defeat them, my country would be a whole again. And they are growing in might, which could hinder the growth of Holland.
Rhodoks: I haven't had much to do with them so far, but they have grown weak recently. It looks like they will be defeated soon by a coalition of Nord and Sarrqanid forces. I could prevent that by usurping them myself.
Sarranids: They are my allies, but are growing strong. They would never suspect an attack from their friendly northern neighbours.

I would go for Nords since they split your empire in two. That's never good. It's easier to defend a single 'circle' then to defend 2 'circles' as the borders will be bigger if you have two circles. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

monnikje said:
Nords: They split my land in several pieces. If I defeat them, my country would be a whole again. And they are growing in might, which could hinder the growth of Holland.
As I said earlier, Nords. You're in a treaty with the Sarranids, and you can take advantage of that; you can take out the Nords while you know they won't stab you in your rear end. The Rhodoks don't look like they'll be doing much against any of the superpowers - you, the Nords, and the Sarranids.

Sarranids must die. :evil: If you take out the only other major horse faction you only have to worry about slow moving footman armys. Plus you keep your main kingdom intacted by usurping there land.

Love the AAR, it's a must read everyday.

If you don't fight Rhodoks first, as you said they'll be destroyed by others, enforcing them (more challenge at the moment and later). If you attack Nords first, Sarranids will help you (less challenge than Floris deserves when fighting them). If you attack Sarranids first, your alliance will be broken for more overall challenge (besides, you'll sooner or later have to break it even if people consider it dishonorable or you write it like that).

EDIT: Or you could make multiple enemies at the same time.

:razz:  I definitely say the Nords as well.  From a strategic point of view, absorbing the Rhodoks would be unwise..... because then you would have stretched yourself much thinner, and be squeezed between two superpowers.  Noone want's to be in that position.

:razz:  If you take out the Nords while the Sarrinids are looking the other way due to your alliance, then maybe you can quickly absorb what is left of the Rhodok lands immediately after, then consolidate your power while there's only one other faction remaining.  :grin:

And I've got to say, I love your AAR man.  I've actually tailored my character similar to Floris stat's wise, and have improved my own game by reading of your accomplishments on here.  Great job, keep it up!  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom