AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

So you start losing renown over time? I though you only started getting less renown the more you had, if you also lose renown it would definetly explain it.

Doing the math I realise that you need to make about 12.000 (20 x village income) denars before inefficency before it's unprofitable to get any more fiefs (not counting garrisons, which you avoid) so you're probably still better off with villages. Should you hit that point you can just keep the villages unassigned until you go beyond the cap then assign them all. How are you keeping your lords happy, don't they get thoroughly pissed at you for giving so many fiefs to yourself?

Most of them get pissed everytime I do that, although some even like it. I have some terrible relations with some lords (for example: my relation with lord Plais is -100, and it has been like that for at least a year now, although it gradually gets raised to -90 or so before I do something that he doesn't like, and lower it back to -100). Plais also has a city (Rivacheg) and hasn't rebelled. Instead he has fought many times alongside me :shock:.

Chapter 35: I want Radoghir castle
19 August 1259

Dear Diary,

The war with the Khergit had been pretty successfull: I had conquered three castles and a city, and had defeated many lords and even the khan himself. But it had to stop, because I was at the end of my reserves. With an almost depleted treasury and too few men for a good campaign, I needed to end this. But I wouldn't go and beg for a cease fire: let them come to me. In the meantime I decided to make some more money by riding out and following the complicated trade route.

While I rode from the Nord through my Swadian lands to the Sarranid, I heard my recently conquered Nelag castle was under siege. Luckily a few days later lord Grainwad managed to fence the attackers off and disrupt the siege. On the road I also encountered quite a lot of bandits, especially near Khudan: apparently a new bandit lair was founded. I'd have to root them out one more time someday. In the meantime my recruiters had returned with quite a few new recruits, which I had to train. I took many Swadian recruits with me on my trade route: that would learn them to march in line. While I rode away from Khudan, a group of Khergit negotiators approached me. Finally they had come to their senses: they offered a peace. But I wouldn't accept it just like that: as victor, I demanded Radoghir castle as spoil of war. This was unacceptable for them: they broke the negotiations off, and rode out. A few days later I heard they had gone to sultan Hakim of the Sarranids, who accepted their offer. Maybe I should be a little less greedy next time, I thought upon hearing that news.

035a.png

During the peace negotiations, I could demand some spoils of war. Maybe I was too greedy.

After the negotiations, I encountered a battle between jarl Faarn and a few of my lords and Asugan noyan. I felt compelled to intervene, which Faarn much appreciated, even though he could have won the battle easily alone. But while he celebrated the victory, I managed to capture Asugan. Quickly I rode back to my capital, and locked him away in the prison tower, high and alone. This triggered the negotiators to come back, but before they could start dealing with the prisoner, I demanded the castle once again and they ran away quite angered. I guess reconsideration of my offer hadn't had any effect.

A little later they returned, realising they had left their fellow noyan in prison, and offered me 3200 denars for Asugan. I accepted that, but used the opportunity once again to demand that castle in exchange for peace. They didn't listen to my constant whining.They had lost so many already, why would they give up even more? While I rode on and traded some more goods, I heard that Nelag castle, one of the recently conquered fiefs, was under siege by a large Khergit army. I rode there with a lot of mamlukes to fight them in the field, but when I arrived, the battle had already started. I rode back, exchanged most of my men for more suitable sharpshooters and returned in time to save the day. The battle wasn't over yet, and the attackers let me pass without any fuzz, so I could pose my men within the castle on the walls. 50 Swadian sharpshooters really did the trick, even though the Khergit had twice as many men as me and the other defending lords had. It became a slaughter. Only 5 of my men were slain, and 1 of my allies, besides the in total 32 wounded. But 478 attackers met death on the ladders. Many mamlukes were stronger than the lancers they sent above, and the sharpshooters on the walls couldn't be stopped. The entire siege army was wiped away.

035b.png

The walls were pretty crammed and I had a lot of trouble getting out of the way, to a place from where I could shoot, but this enormous amount of men did stop the khan from conquering the castle.

After my stunning victory over the main Khergit army, I decided to take Radoghir castle by force if the Khergit couldn't be persuaded to give it up peacefully. The few men that had fallen in the siege were quickly replaced in Khudan, after which I marched, along with lord Montewar, to that castle. It wasn't defended that well, so I immediately started to build a siege tower, which took me of course two full days.

While I was building a siege tower, the negotiators from the Khergit side returned. They asked for a peace, but I replied that I would only agree if they would give me this castle. Since they refused, I continued with the siege. Once the construction was finished, I attacked. This time there were no ladders from which the Khergit defenders could run down, so quite a lot jumped down the walls.

035c.png

The defenders couldn't wait for the tower to be there, so they jumped from the walls, only to be shot by my sharpshooters.

Finally I got the castle I had been demanding for weeks. I stationed some men there, and assigned it to lord Tirida. He had joined my realm recently, and had been moaning that he hadn't received any land: I grew tired of it. The nearby village of Sumbuja I assigned to the new lord Crahask. Now I really have achieved my goal in this war. What shall be my next step? What castle will I now demand once the Khergit negotiators arrive? I guess I'll have some time to think about it, since I really need to complete my trade round.

035d.png

Gameplay notes
Floris' stats haven't changed, but I haven't showed you them in a while. As you can see, the proficiency in crossbow has improved due to those sieges:
035e.png

The past month only Radoghir castle has exchanged from owner:
035f.png

socks said:
Great stuff as always!

+1

socks said:
What day are you on now btw?

19 August 1259
Right under the chapter title where he always puts it.

So what do you think of the diplomacy mod since you have been playing with it? Thanks for the screenies showing the new features btw.
I've been hitting the betapatch hard so no mods for me right now.

I just found out that using More Metal Sounds and Diplomacy together (or perhaps TweakMB causes my problems) bugs my sound. The battle sounds are fine, but on the campaign map I hear the screaming of fights everywhere. Do you have that problem aswell?  :neutral:

socks: Thanks! As Kellick has pointed out, I'm at 19 August 1259. That's day 880 :smile:. At the moment I'm a few days further tough, working on the next chapter.

Kellick: The diplomacy mod is really a great mod. The features it adds are very handy. Recruiting recruits from your castle (although they are more expensive that way, it saves a lot of travelling), the different tax levels, the negotiations for peace: they're not just niec cosmetics, but game features that makes the gameplay more versatile, in my humble opinion :smile:.
How's the new patch working out?

Henk: No, I don't have that problem. Good to know: I haven't tried TweakMB yet.

I remember when I first saw this thread, "Aah, I dont have time for this." Now that I've caught up to date, I dont have time for anything else. Been reading it off and on since Wednesday last. This is a fascinating story, script errors and all. I much appreciate you taking the time to entertain the unwashed masses. I sincerely enjoy the entire story and look forward to much more.

The new patch seems to be pretty good stuff so far.

Without a changelog I am too lazy to try to go through the bugtracker with a fine tooth comb (if they just added a what version said bug was fixed in to search field it would really help) so I have just reported on stuff as I have noticed it, been playing through with a new game from scratch so I haven't gotten up to sieges or trying to be king again, but they have fixed a lot of little things.

....and to think I thought this thread was about someone wondering how to make money...Me, Florins :lol:

I think this read is just the cure to my 'modders curse'. Great read, took the last few days. Now I actually play the game now, not just fiddle around to see if I implemented my mods correctly... Two thumbs up!

Henk said:
I just found out that using More Metal Sounds and Diplomacy together (or perhaps TweakMB causes my problems) bugs my sound. The battle sounds are fine, but on the campaign map I hear the screaming of fights everywhere. Do you have that problem aswell?  :neutral:

I had this problem, too, but without using the Diplomacy mod. What caused it for me was that I was using the wrong sounds.txt file from the more metal sounds download (the M&B version, not the Warband version).  Changing the sounds.txt to the version intended for Warband (its included in the download) fixed the problem.

Do you mean instead of this one:

crap1c.png

you mean this file, in the warband folder? :

crap2.png

Lord Brutus: Great to hear the story grips you :smile:. Unfortunately writing is not going always going fast, but I'll certainly keep it up.

Kellick: Good to hear that the new patch will fix much. Definitely something to look forward to.

CounterPoint391: Haha, with quite some trading going on in the story it's not that far the truth, isn't it :wink:.
Fiddling is nice, and can be much fun, but sometimes you indeed just have to go with it and enjoy your hard fiddling work :mrgreen:.

Shun, Henk & Kellick: Good to see that this problem is solved now :smile:.

artifex: Great to see you've started an AAR too! I'll be following yours too.

So far I've seen three new AARs, who all start their thread title with 'AAR:'. So I thought it might be a good idea to add it to the title of this thread too.
I'll post the next chapter when I get back form work, later this evening. So hold on tight, more is coming :smile:.

Chapter 36: The feasts of Khudan
10 November 1259

Dear Diary,

I had fought in the war against the Khergit, and gotten all that I wanted. Four castles, a city and several villages had been added to my domain, while I defeated the main Khergit army. But even though my funds were slowly recovering, I still needed more money if the treasury was to survive. So I decided that, if the Khergit came begging for peace again, I wouldn't demand a castle, but just a large sum of money. At the same moment I set out to ride along the trade routes again.

I didn't have to wait long for the Khergit to offer their peace: just when I rode past Yruma castle, they caught up with me. Before I could say anything, they started yelling that they would leave immediately at any demand for a castle, which made me laugh out loud. They looked at each other nervously, afraid that I wanted more. Hadn't I defeated them on every possible front? How glad I was that they knew little of my financial affairs, so when I demanded a sum of 8000 denars, because they had declared war on me, they sighted relieved, and accepted it. Later I heard they drew the funds from the ever rich Tulga, which had reserves way above the 100.000 denars, but well, I needed this money badly. Now I could continue with my trade route without worrying about Khergits coming over the mountains to invade my freshly conquered fiefs. I'll finish the job of conquering the Khergit after my finances are more in order.

036a.png

After the Khergit paid me 8000 denars, there was peace: now they were just at war with the Nords.

After the peace was settled, I continued my journey through Calradia. The Nords and Khergit continued to fight, but on a low level: the Khergit were beaten and couldn't do much, so the Nord could concentrate most of their forces on their war against the Rhodoks. That was necessary for them, since the Rhodoks were doing pretty fine. Until on 23 August the Sarranids declared war once again on them. I don't know how often they have fought, but always it has been about the border around Shariz. Now the Sarranids were stronger after their recent conquests upon the Khergit, and decided it was time to create a larger buffer zone around their city.

This declaration of war from the Sarranids meant a lot to the Rhodoks-Nord war. The Rhodoks were putting all their efforts in ending that one, and succeeded: after they conquered Praven, they forced the Nords to sign a peace deal on 1 September. Now it was like the old days again: Sarranids against Rhodoks. The Nords were tired of the warfare, and two days later they made peace with the Khergit too. I guess Calradia was tired of the wars, since for the rest of that month the only fighting was between the Rhodoks and Sarranid, and only around the city of Shariz. After a month of fighting they saw the futility of their war, and on 5 October they made peace. With no war in progress, it was a peacefull time.

That gave me the perfect opportunity to ride the trade routes and not only gather more gear for my companions and get myself out of financial troubles while training more men, but also allowed me to get the final ingredients to a good party. Nelda thought it was a good idea too to hold one, but she mentioned that I would need a lot of goods. Oil for lighting the candles, ale and wine for beverages, spice for displaying our wealth and, not the least important, a lot of different kinds of food. As I travelled around Calradia, I visited all villages and cities and scraped the goods from all places. It surprised me that pork and chicken were so rare. For the past few months I had tried to build a decent collection, and on 10 October I returned home with the final ingredients. We were ready to party.

036b.png

On the left and continued in the middle, are the contents of my household inventory. On the right are the contents of the chest in the middle of the throne room. There is still some space for pork and chicken, but that is very hard to get.

Lady Nelda wanted to sent out the invitations, but I had a better idea: I would go out to the field, and track all my vassals down. Once I found them, I would order them to follow me, until we all ended up in the great hall of Khudan, where my wife would welcome all for the surprise party. That way no-one would have the time to think of any excuse for not being there. And once we're there, I'd just order them to stay in the castle until the feast is over. I bet they would like it that way.

I set out the next morning, and rode along all my holdings. Following the directions my wife had given me, I found lord Taisa near Rivacheg. From that moment on I rode along all my holdings, asking directions to my lords. Every night, at midnight, I repeated my orders to follow me, so they wouldn't dare thinking of wandering off. In the meantime I did some decent trading: I was out there anyway, so why wouldn't I? Unfortunately the travelling went really slow: a large army goes as fast as the weakest link, and in this case there were quite a few slow ones. So in the end it took me 14 days to gather them all and bring all 20 lords to Khudan. But then it was time to party.

036c.png

Parties in Calradia are pretty dull. Have they never heard of music or something like that? This is just before I let my wife Nelda sing the latest hitsong from Walther von der Vogelweide, the star minstrel from the Holy Roman Empire.

Not much of my goods were consumed, and even though my vassals were glad by this surprise party, they weren't changing their minds of me much. So I decided to hold another feast. And another. It has been 17 days now of nonstop partying, in which I gave 63 feasts, and now I finally ran out of grapes and olives. Next time I'll add more of those to my inventory. Everyone likes me now, with 15 nobles maximal devoted to me. Grainwad and Montewar are even devoted beyond any question! And Plais, who has hated me for a long time, thinks I'm pretty nice too. All those feasts not only made me more popular among my nobles, but also raised my renown a lot. I think it's time for action now, before they all get too lazy. They are all here, loving me deeply. I think it's finally time to finish off the Khergit. I just instructed Nelda to send a messenger to Sanjar Khan with my declaration of war: in a moment now I'll speech to my lords, and we will ride out. To war!

036d.png

Gameplay notes
Those feasts not only improved my relation with each lord in the castle (all of them, since I had gathered them) with 2 per feast, but also raised my renown with in the beginning 21 per feast, although the higher my relations became, the lower this got (in the end I got 16 renown per feast). I didn't knew that. How fortunate! I also know that the maximum relation you can get is 100, but in two cases, Grainwad and Montewar, my relation with them has gone up to 124. Their slider has disappeared, as you can see:
036e.png

Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
036f.png

The Nord have lost Praven and surrounding cities to the Rhodoks: for the rest nothing has changed.
036g.png

Nice entry, although I think Plais hates everyone. On one of my games Plais defected from the Swadians to my nordic/vaegir hybrid kingdom and the second I talked to him I found out my relation with him was -50 or so. Every game from then on Plais was always a prick for some reason or another. Maybe its cause I pillaged his fiefs? :razz:

Ah...Plais, my oldest arch enemy form the original M&B. I decided to strike out on my own, and carve an empire from the heartland of Swadia. I took Tevarin Castle first, and every week or so I would fight off another siege, with Plais in the vanguard. He was the lord of Uxkhal, right next door, and slippery as quicksilver...bastard :grin:

You certainly seem to be inspiring the AAR's around here, let's see how many keep it up (I'm considering it myself... but I did one once, and I know how tricky it is to get it really good...).

Hail to the king!

Well, good to see that you are finally getting the renown you deseve, both in game as Floris, the new party king (trying to take Harlaus's job, I see), and on the forum, as the lord of the AAR's. How does it feel to inspire so many to do there own?

By the way, the goal for my AAR (when I start writing it):

Make an AAR tha is good enough to dethrone the king of AAR's. You better watch out, monnikje!  :wink:

Seriously though, congratulations on your success.

Back
Top Bottom