AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

Malik Faris: Haha, I really should have taken some pictures of Floris and Harlaus meeting. And you're right: it's an epic quote. Even better than I realised!

On a sidenote: the AAR is now completely synchronized with my postings on the Paradox forum. The chapters will follow up a little more slow now.

haha... great read.

Just looking at you latest maps it seems that the those Khergits who were so docile when you first founded Holland (or "New Holland" as I have taken to thinking of it) are now rampaging over the map.

You might have to do something about them very soon.

Chapter 32: Bureaucratic revolution
10 June 1259

Dear Diary,

After my final war with Swadia, in which I took the last of their territories, I returned home to Khudan, back to my wife. It was peace again, but for how long? When I returned to the great hall, Nelda told me that it was becoming more difficult with each passing day to maintain not only my fiefs, but also the entire kingdom. She needed help. And so I searched for a few capable men to help us out. It didn't take long to find them: Khudan had become a beacon of light for not only the former Vaegir people, but now also for old Swadian citizens.

First of all I degreed that the primary culture of my kingdom should be Swadian. People at the court would have to dress to the latest Swadian fashion, talk in their manners and behave in the old Swadian ways. Those resemble most my manners at home, and if I want to unify all the distant parts of my kingdom, if I want to unity the old Empire, I'd need something in common for all the people. Everyone will eventually need to learn Dietsch, but that might go a little slower than Swadian, since I'm the only one here who has real skills in it.

Then I hired Aubrey de Vere, one of the most successful merchants of Khudan, to be my personal chamberlain. He's a financial wizard, which is a blessing with such outstretched lands which all need to be taxed. His first suggestion was to separate the royal treasury and my personal pouch. That way the costs to maintain the state wouldn't meddle with my personal spending freedom. I liked that idea, and donated 10,000 denars to this royal treasury. Then I decided to have a look at the tax level of all my fiefs. The villages of Tismirr, Vezin and Bhulaban seemed to flourish, just like my city of Khudan, so I raised their taxes to high. On the other hand, Shapeshte, Uslum and Shulus were poor, so I dropped theirs to low. Fizdnar was unremarkable, so I kept their taxes normal. With these changes and the financial injection my kingdom could survive for at least two weeks without any income.

032a.png

Aubrey de Vere is my personal chamberlain, and takes care of most financial affairs in the kingdom.

The second person I hired, was Miles de Gloucester. He would act as constable to the royal army, keeping it fit for duty and ready for action. The first thing he did, was inventarising the status of the royal Hollandic army. In total there were 1413 men stationed in 4 cities and 5 castles, while there were also 1562 men in the field. That's an army of 2975 men protecting Holland against the other four kingdoms. He also suggested to sent someone out to get the men I wanted to train. I had been riding around for quite some time now and hadn't had the full army I demanded to guard Khudan. Sending out someone was a little more expensive than going out myself, but it would take me a lot less time, which I could spend on making more money form trading. I ordered him to send three men out to the field to gather 50 Swadian peasants each. Once they would arrive in Khudan, I'd take them with me and train them during my trade rounds.

032b.png

Miles de Gloucester is constable and keeps my army in top condition.

Thirdly I hired Herfast as my chancellor. He had been viewing all the fights in the arena for the past year, visiting tournaments in all major cities. If there was one person at my court who knew the world and, more importantly, knew what lords wanted, it was him. I could let him arrange to send a message to any lord to follow me, although without any war that would be quite useless. Also I could let him send a gift to any lord: he suggested that if I would send something, I'd gather 150 Ale, Oil or Wine first. That's something to remember: I'd really needed to gather more resources for in my treasury. So I first send my wife out to buy some bread in town. 200 breads should be sufficient for now.

032c.png

Chancellor Herfast will take care of my relation with my vassals.

After I had conducted this state business, I rode out to make another of those extensive trade routes. When I just left Khudan, a pleasant surprise awaited me: Ymira had returned, and wanted to join my group once again. She had travelled throughout all the kingdoms for personal matters, but was ready again to serve my needs. Of course I equipped her as well as the rest during the trade route. She will need to train hard, just like some of the other members, but she's smart enough to realise this.Also on the trip the strange dream about an error on opcode returned. Remembering my solution to let it go away last time, I ordered every vassal I encountered on my trip to go to Khudan. By the time I returned to my capital, I had spoken quite a few of my lords, although I still needed to find a few. Now I'm in my capital: all seems in order.

032d.png

Gameplay notes
I'm from now on using the mod Diplomacy 1.10beta, together with the rest of the mods I named earlier. This mod gives a lot more diplomatic possibilities, including more ways to regulate the taxes of your fiefs and negotiate alliances and truces. Check the link for a full overview of all the possibilities. And it's good to know I had no problem combining it with all the other mods I used so far. The only problem I encountered, was that some of the new warhorses I had bought were switched to other new horses.
Since Floris' stats haven't changed, I'll show you the financial report of 26 May 1259:
032e.png

The main thing that has happened, is that the Sarranid has stricken back to the Rhodoks and retaken Shariz and surrounding villages. They're fighting over that city ever since I got there.
032f.png

Where did you get those guys from in your last chapter, the recruiter and others? I have been looking for a mod like that for days, and i can't find it

Thanks everyone for the support, and for reading :smile:.

Temuzu: I just have a lot of free time :wink:.
My initial rapid posting comes because I had already posted many chapters on the Paradox forum. I had to catch up, but didn't want to post everything at once (that would be spam, wouldn't it?). Now I'm caught up, and since the latest chapter I post on both fora at the same time.
Most of the pictures I can make pretty fast. I've made some standard files and I've done the process of turning a screenshot into a polaroid parchment or a screenshot from a movie quite a lot of times now.
Also I write during the game: as soon as I progressed a little, I note that part of the chapter down. Of course I edit it later on to make one whole of it, but most of the writing is done by the time I reach the point in the game that marks the end of the chapter.
It all helps me to write chapters quite fast :smile:.

Seawied86: Thanks! I hope it will be usefull. One small trade route that I hadn't noted down by that time: buy salt in Tulga and sell it in Ichamur.

BlahBlah: ramonb has already answered that question for me :smile:. I also note down the new mods I introduce that chapter at the bottom of that chapter, under 'Gameplay notes'. You can also find a list with all the mods I used in my AAR in the first post. There are quite a few, and more will follow.

ramonb: That recruiter kit is a very usefull feature I discovered with the Diplomacy mod: I use it now constantly :smile:.

Dilios: Thanks!

I'll be away most of this weekend, so less time to play and write :sad:. But don't worry, I'll be back.

Hey been lurking for a few weeks.
Great story. Very well done.
I've really learned a lot about playing from reading your story; I've been using Floris' character template myself and while I had reservations about taking tracking and pathfinding (I usually just use Borcha, and it is points that would have gone to athletics and shield or powerdraw...crossbow took me a while to get used to, so did lance for that matter...but now I'm converted) it has actually been working out really great for me (not to mention my current game it took months before I found Borcha or Deshavi; normally that would make me frantic).

You've really hit on the right blend of story, pictures and useful information. I look forward to reading Floris adventures every update and I find myself referring to the thread for info a lot (traderoutes were especially helpful).

Been lurking these forums for 5 years now... Must say this is the first thread that has lured me out of lurker mode.

This is a wonderufl story and I look forward to reading it to its conclusion... Welcome to my favorites page Floris. :smile:

monnikje said:
Temuzu: I just have a lot of free time :wink:.
My initial rapid posting comes because I had already posted many chapters on the Paradox forum. I had to catch up, but didn't want to post everything at once (that would be spam, wouldn't it?). Now I'm caught up, and since the latest chapter I post on both fora at the same time.
Most of the pictures I can make pretty fast. I've made some standard files and I've done the process of turning a screenshot into a polaroid parchment or a screenshot from a movie quite a lot of times now.
Also I write during the game: as soon as I progressed a little, I note that part of the chapter down. Of course I edit it later on to make one whole of it, but most of the writing is done by the time I reach the point in the game that marks the end of the chapter.
It all helps me to write chapters quite fast :smile:.
Ah, I see! I should propably come to the Paradox forums aswell :lol:

I'm back, and will start to work on the next chapter now. I hope it will be there soon.

bobthehero: Thank you, I'll do that.

Kellick: It's great to hear you've been following for a few weeks already, and are looking forward to the next chapter each time. I'm glad the blend in the story hits the right mix :smile:. I'll continue this way.
I actually hadn't intended to use the crossbow, but during a siege I just picked up one from a fallen sharpshooter: after the siege I had something like 50 points extra in use of crossbow, which triggered me to use it. And I agree, it's been pretty usefull now. Lances have become one of my favourite weapons: I find the jousting tournament in Praven among the most thrilling ones.

Dohati: I feel honoured that Floris drew you out of lurking. I'm really glad to hear you like it so much!

Temuzu: At this moment I post the same on both fora, since I caught up. There are also a few other very good narrative AARs over there.

I tried integrating Diplomacy in Native, yet unfortunately it's all bugged. It might just be because I have the more metal sounds mod installed, did you just copy all the content to your native folder?

I have a bit of advice for you, Monnikje. But I've been reading off the Paradox forum, so I spoilered it so I don't spoil it for the people here;
The Khergits are really more of a threat than the Nords. Not only do they have more land, but their land splits yours into three sections; should they declare war on you, you'd be forced to either take the long way around or travel through enemy territory to get to another part of your land.

Henk said:
I tried integrating Diplomacy in Native, yet unfortunately it's all bugged. It might just be because I have the more metal sounds mod installed, did you just copy all the content to your native folder?
This would actually interest me, too. I spent quite some time with the game already, but all kind of modding is still quite a mystery to me...

Henk & SirElric: I'm not a hero on modding either. When I downloaded the Diplomacy mod, I got an installer. I installed the mod, which automatically created a new module, named 'Diplomacy_v1.10beta'. Then I installed all the other mods I use into this new module, and I use this one since. My native module is still native: it's better to make a copy of the original and fiddle with that one, than screw it up and regret it because you don't have a backup.
I see that there has been some new versions since the one I downloaded and installed (I installed 1.10, while there is now a 1.10.4 available). While I'm not going to upgrade yet, your bugs might be something of the new version. You should report them in the Diplomacy subforum.
The only problem I had with mods so far, is in the file 'item_kinds1.txt': I noticed that if I add some mods that change something in this file, some items in my savegame get screwed up (in this case I added quite a few horses to Diplomacy, since I used those mods before, and all the horses I bought were suddenly different). That was not a problem of Diplomacy, but of using multiple mods at the same time with an old savegame. Ow, and before I forget it: I had some crashes with the battle sizer: if I have a battle size of 1000 and there are truly numbers like that on both sides, the game tends to crash sometimes. Those were the only problems I encountered with mods so far.
Just read the readme-files that are added to the mods, and follow the instructions in there: you'll be pretty safe. And don't forget to backup your native module before fiddling around.

socks: Since chapter 31 both fora are synchronized: every new chapter I post on both at the same time (ok, I post it on one a few minutes later than the other, but that's almost the same time). So even if you read the AAR over there, you can still freely discuss it over here. You won't spoiler it for the other readers :smile:.
About your advice: the Khergit are indeed a great obstacle. Although I can connect my lands through the Nords, the Khergit hold half the old Vaegir lands, which are better within range of my capital than the Nord cities. I agree that they pose a great threat.

Chapter 33: The feast of war
14 July 1259

Dear Diary,

In May I enacted quite a few bureaucratic reforms. This lead to a better financial regulation of my kingdom, and a better organisation of my army. Now I've gone a step further, by ordering all my men to wear the colours of Holland at all time. I'm forcing my ways on them, turning Calradia truly into a new Holland. Others have followed my ways, but they will always stay behind. Haven't I defeated two factions and started my own in just two years, while they struggled for centuries?

I decided I should hold a large feast to celebrate. There was a lot to celebrate, which I hadn't done yet: the Independence of Holland, the recent victories in the war and the current reforms. But in order to hold a feast, I'd needed supplies. A lot of supplies. So I set out to the trade routes to gather them. On the road I fought with some bandits. When I rode deep in the Nord territories, I realised that while I had set out to earn money, I had forgotten to inventarise what I'd need for the feast. So I returned to Khudan. The moment I set foot in my hall, a messenger from Sanjar khan arrived: the enormous Khergit khanate had decided that my kingdom should be part of their domain. The Khergit thus declared war on Holland.

033a.png

Me and my men rode towards some bandits, displaying our brand new tunics with Hollandic colours. A full parade is shown in DPC.

A declaration of war. Aw well, this will give me a chance to conquer all of the old Vaegir lands, and maybe even connect Uhhun castle to my holdings. But first things first: I took the grocery list for the feast. I'd need quite a lot of food in all different kinds of variety, different kinds of drinks like ale and wine, spice to display my wealth, and oil, to light the lamps. For the spice I would need to go to Tulga, a Khergit city. No spice for now then. But the rest was obtainable. Then I returned to the state affairs: I lowered the taxes for all my holdings, so people would like me more pretty soon, and the prosperity would be raised. I would need everyone's support in the coming war, and I expected my villages to be looted anyway. I also sent out messengers to assemble all my lords at Khudan: I'd needed to start a new campaign over here. I also send out messengers to all my lords to convey that I really needed them in my field army.

Instead of waiting, I went out to the former Swadian cities, to trade and obtain some of the necessities for the feast. In Uxkhal I bought much bread and grain, in Suno there wasn't much for sale and in Praven I bought quite some ale. My saddle bags were pretty full after this shopping, so I went back to Khudan to drop it off. On my way back I was notified that the city of Rivacheg was under siege, so I'd have to go there and help the defenders out. When I arrived in Khudan, the battle at Rivacheg had already started, so I hurried that way. Lords Stamar, Alagur, Delinard and Naldera had already arrived, and were defending fiercely. I stood by their side on the walls while the main Khergit army stormed the place. We were with 604 men, while they had mustered 760 warriors. Only we had the home field advantage, and used it to its full extend. From the walls I shot many of the oncoming men with my crossbow, which I refilled from my fallen soldiers. I shot until the enemy stopped with their attack: they hadn't run out of soldiers, but didn't want to sacrifice all they had.

033b.png

By copying my style, the nobles did make the battlefield a more colourful place, although it's not that well visible on the security camera's that I had posted all over the castle.

The battle was disastrous for the Khergit, so they broke up and rode away in all directions. When they had gotten out of sight, I rode back to Khudan, to drop off my siege army and gather 94 mamlukes. That Khergit army could be very irritating, so it was time to hunt some Khergit nobles. I rode out and defeated quite a few noyans: Belgaru, Dundush, Imirza, Fraichin, Gastya, Imirza, Ulusamai and even Sanjar khan himself. I also captured Tonju noyan. I didn't let them go, since they could build up a new army and form a thread. But when the khanate after a few weeks 4500 denars offered, I accepted that and let him go.

In the meantime I travelled to the old Swadian lands, along to the Nord cities, to gather more food and drinks. But not everything was for sale. For example, I couldn't get any fresh beef from the cities or villagers. Dried meat was a problem already, but fresh.... No way I could obtain that with hard denars. So I rode to the Khergit village of Dirigh Aban and stole some cattle. I'm not proud of it, but it had to be done. I drove the beasts back to Khudan, and slaughtered them. The beef will be kept fresh in both my chest and my household inventory, so no need to worry about that anymore. I still need to find some pork and chicken, but they seem even more rare. I destroyed the lairs of tundra bandits and sea raiders, but neither had any of this.

033c.png

With thanks to the PPP, who followed my every footsteps, I got a recollection of the attacks on the bandit lairs.

I wasn't ready with the gathering, and even though I could hold quite a party, I didn't want to waste anything on a mediocre feast, but it had to wait for now. Both the Nords and the Sarranid decided to declare war on the Khergit Khanate. I hadn't pushed them hard yet, but now time was of the essence. With two more armies marching through their lands, dividing the current largest kingdom of Calradia, I had to take my spoils of war. It was time to fetch my siege army and capture some places.

033d.png

Gameplay notes
I now used the Epic Heraldry Mini-mod for Warband 0.65, in which the troops wear the banners of their lords on their cloths and shields. Once again the horses of my party were screwed up, so I had to buy - again - new horses. A valuable lesson to be learned from this: whenever you add things to the item_kinds1.txt, items will be screwed up in your savegame. But so far it has been acceptable.
Both Floris' stats and the map haven't changed, so I'll show you instead a movie poster:
033e.png

Back
Top Bottom