AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chapter 10: Cattle and Caravan
10 September 1257

Dear Diary,

Today I write from my own castle. It's so good to have my own room waiting for me. Last month I was still in Praven, where they didn't like me very much. That changed after I hired Nizar. Not because of him, but after I left the tavern and got his service, I did something about my standing in the Swadian capital. I had encountered this Sarranid man lost in the tavern, looking for a job, which I was glad to provide him. With his help, I managed to drive some Praven cattle to Reyvadin, but not directly: via a detour along Veluca, where I dropped off the caravan that had been following me to Praven. It must have been a strange sight: almost a hundred cows running through the fields, the woods and even the mountains, followed by a small military company with people form all over the six kingdoms, to be concluded by a group of a dozen merchants riding with a lot of valuables. The peasants from the villages we passed all walked out to see us pass by. After I had dropped of the merchants in Veluca, I rode with the cattle to Vaegir lands.

010a.jpg

Cows, soldiers and merchants: a strange combination.

While I drove the cattle from the kingdom of Rhodok through Swadia, a messenger from king Harlaus reached me: he had decided to give the freshly conquered Uhhun Castle, and the village of Uhhun, to me. I knew it would pay off to have a good relationship with the king. It's the most Nordic territory from Swadia, but given the fact that Emirin is quite north too, that's not a big deal. I now know that my rebellion will have to focus around the area of Dhirim. I'll need to get lords from other kingdoms also behind me, if I want to establish a good base of operations there.

Anyway, I drove the cattle onward, and decided to visit to the lands of Uhhun after I'd went to Reyvadin. Reyvadin lay on the route to Uhhun. While I rode onwards, I realised that it might be a mistake to rely too much on the Swadian king. He has already proven to be weak and egocentric, but the land I would claim as my own his influence was sparse. I would need to track down all the lords from the lands around Dhirim, and appease them.

On the route I had hired a young girl, Klethi. That might have been a mistake, since she was sniffing around in Artimenner his stuff, trying to steal some of his blueprints. So I sent her off to Khudan: she seemed to have some connections there. Keeping her and Artimenner separated might be the best course of action. Also, Swadia and Rhodok went to war again. I guess I won't be visiting Jelkala anytime soon. When I arrived in Uhhun, I immediately ordered Artimenner to build a school there too. In the long run, that will be the best course of action. And in the castle I ordered him to build a prison tower. If I want to become the supreme ruler of Calradia, I'll need to be able to imprison everyone who opposes me until they see the wisdom in worshipping me, Floris. Also I garrisoned some of my best troops in the castle, to take some more inexperienced ones with me: I'll need to train them, to shape them into a battle hardy force to oppose any thread that might endanger my claimant on the throne.

010b.jpg

My newest additions: Uhhun castle and village.

After I had delivered the caravan to Shariz, I returned to Praven. On the road I hired recruits from all kingdoms, except Rhodoks: since Swadia was at war with them, it wouldn't seem wise to intrude there at the moment. My goal with the recruits was to train them all in three different disciplines: archery, cavalry and infantry. I'd find out who would be best in each, best suited for castle defence and for riding along my side. When I'll have found that out, I'll hire more specialized men from all around Calradia, to build an army no kingdom can oppose. But first I had to find out who the lords ruling in my claimed area were.

010c.jpg

The area I claim, encircled with a red line.

While I rode from village to village, from city to city, from castle to castle, I learned who ruled where. Now I'll be able to search for those specific lords, and gain favour with them. And maybe I'll be able to point king Harlaus into conquering some of these places, and giving them directly under my control. While inquiring I fought off some bandits raiding a few villages: the people around here will like me, no matter what. Now I have a day off in my own castle, before I'll start the quest to appease all those different lords.

010d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats:
010e.jpg

Chapter 11: The Rhodoks War
26 September 1257

Dear Diary,

It's war, and I'm deeply involved. Last month the kingdom of Rhodoks and Swadia collided, and even though I originally wanted to seek out the lords and ladies of my marked territory, I got dragged into this fight more and more. The past two weeks have been very exciting: I really feel alive. And the king now actually listens to my advise, which is also a good sign. I'm gaining influence pretty fast. It's hard to believe it's only six months since I arrived in these lands as a beggar: now I'm a trusted count of the king of Swadia.

When I left my castle two weeks ago, I rode to the Nord city of Dhirim, only to find it under siege by the main Vaegir army. I asked all the lords if they had something to do for me, in the hope I could improve my relation with some of them, but unfortunately no-one had something to do for me. Understandable, since they were busy conquering a city, which they managed to do. Nowadays it's a Vaegir city, although I'm still much liked over there.

011a.jpg

Dhirim was besieged by the main Vaegir army, who couldn't think of something to do for me.

From Dhirim, I rode to Uxkhal, where I heard the plea of a merchant: his daughter was kidnapped, and he was searching for a brave warrior to take the ransom to the bandits. I had experience with this: it even were the same bandits, although it was a different girl. This time we had a nice cup of tea before we concluded the deal. It was nice doing business with them: they were professionals. I also promised to take some ale to Narra, but rode firstly in the opposite direction. I rode to Suno, where I promised to guide a caravan to Tihr, although I planned to take a detour via Praven. My girl was awaiting there. Underway I encountered near the village of Iyindah the Swadian main army. From this moment on I was sucked into the war, becoming the decorated hero I'm now.

I had noticed before that Rhodoks and Swadia look very similar: the war showed me they were each others equals. Maybe I could tilt the balance in favour of Swadia, and let my star rise more in the eyes of the Swadia court. These thoughts flashed through my mind a dozen of times while I rode from the army towards Praven, until I saw a battle take place. Count Plais of Swadia was fighting against count Fudreim. Leading my men into battle, I managed to tilt the balance and save the day, and also free count Montewar from captivity. The taste of victory is sweet, and I rode along the border many times the past two weeks, and helped several counts with their battles.

011b.jpg

Wherever I go, I see fighting nobles: I aided the Swadian counts a dozen of times, leading armies to thunder against our Rhodoks neighbours.

My actions made such an impression on the nobles, that count Delinard, the appointed marshal of the Swadian army, send word for me last week: he wanted me to join the big boys in the fight against Rhodok. This was good news, and after delivering the ale to Narra, I rode on to Uxkhal, to meet the count just outside town. When I approached the city, I saw a fierce fight going on between the armies of the Swadian count Rochabarth and the Rhodek count Fudreim, and intervened. After winning the battle, count Rochabarth asked me to free his father, count Tredian, from Ergellon Castle, which I pledged to do. Then I continued to meet the marshal himself.

Seeing me arriving guarding the remnants of count Rochabarths army, the marshal was impressed. He asked me to stay close, and follow him around. The main army moved forward to inspect a large column of smoke spiraling up from behind the forest: it appeared to be the village of Ruluns. Seeing the destruction of this peacefull town, the marshall wanted to make an expedition into hostile territory, to make a retribution, but he needed good intel before he could proceed. That's where he turned to me, and asked me to go to Ergellon Castle and the two surrounding villages, and bring back reports of the whereabouts.

Knowing I had to go to the castle anyway to free the count, I gladly accepted the honour, and proceeded as planned. First I rode to Serindar, and sent a messenger to the marshal reporting the status of this quiet village. Next I went to Pagundur, the town closest to the castle. There I asked the village elder to create that night an enormous fire: it would be the perfect distraction for the guards in the castle, which would enable me to sneak in and free the captured lord. Unfortunately, all hell broke loose that evening.

011c.jpg

As I rode through the night to reach Ergellon Castle, the main Swadian army started to raid the village that would create the distraction. This would end very badly if I proceeded with the plan.

The moment I left Pagundur, the entire Swadian army came raging through the forest, and started to burn the village down. Even though this created a large fire, it was the wrong kind: from the castle walls every guard could see the pillaging, and every guard in his right mind would stay behind the thick walls. The villagers weren't able to create the distraction I had needed to sneak in the castle, so I just rode up to the gate and asked to speak with someone in command. Both count Rimusk and Gerluchs were present, but neither wanted to negotiate about a release of the prisoner. Disillusioned I rode back to the poor village, to report to the marshall: instead I encountered the king himself. Using my friendship with him I managed to convince him that Ergellon was an easy catch: he only had to lay siege to the castle in order to gain more territory. Too bad the king ignored his marshall and rode alone with his private guards towards the prison.

I rode ahead, and started the siege. For quiet a while I waited for the king to arrive with his reinforcements, but none arrived. Scouting around learned me he was under attack by the main Rhodoks army. Knowing I couldn't win the siege alone, I pulled back and helped the king. Seeing the main army raging forward, I feared for my life. This was something completely different than the little skirmishes I had before: we were outnumbered eight to one. I was relieved when the thundering army came to a sudden stop, and count Reland, an important guy from Rhodoks, walked towards me. He asked me if I could lend him my best surgeon, to help a dear friend of his. Of course I would do that, as a caring noble.

011d.jpg

Count Reland of Rhodoks asked me to lend him my best surgeon.

The moment I rode back to my ranks, to instruct Jeremus to ride to the other side, king Harlaus attacked the count. Of course I couldn't do less than help the king, and together we smashed count Reland's army into oblivion. It hurt my feelings a little, since we did have a good talk, and I had said I would lend my surgeon. But now I would need him myself for my own men. After this fight, I finally rode back to Ergellon castle, in the hope I could lay siege with the king, but once I arrived, I notice the king had fled back to his own land. The coward.

As I was standing alone before the walls of Ergellon, the Rhodoks sent count Rimusk forward to flank me and destroy my army. They had underestimated me: I wiped that army out, but paid a price: my army was severely weakened, and I was finally forced to break the siege totally and return to Swadia. I decided to ride to Praven too, where I would meet my sweet maiden Gaeda again, The past few months I started to appreciate her company more and more, and I believe she starts to think the same way about me. While I rode away, count Tredian, held prisoner at the castle I had tried to lay siege and to negotiate with, was released from captivity. All my trouble, my fighting and scouting, had been for nothing. Well, nothing... My standing in the kingdom has improved much, and it wouldn't surprise me if a big reward would come my way soon.

011e.jpg

Gameplay notes
011f.jpg

Chapter 12: People come and go
1 November 1257

Dear Diary,

I have just visited lady Elys, in the city of Suno. She and Gaeta are closer than I would have had liked, but well, as long as they stay where they are, nothing can go wrong. I'm also here with fewer men than normally: the morale of my men was pretty low in such great numbers, so I had decided to leave some in my castle behind. And I'm still not sure whom I should be focussing on. A month ago I had a totally different opinion about my army strength: after I rested in Praven, I decided to go back home to my own Uhhun Castle, to get reinforcements for my lost men. Underway I got news that king Harlaus was holding a large feast in Unuzdaq Castle, the outermost outpost of Swadia: I decided to go there first, and rode as fast as I could. When I got there, there weren't that many guests yet. Or had they already left? I couldn't tell, especially after a few glasses of strong wine. I do know I met lady Elys over there, daughter of count Ryis: I said I was her uttermost admirer, which flattered her much. At that time I was glad that Unuzdaq Castle is at the other end of Swadia, since Gaeta might get jealous if she knew I was now seeing another girl too, but now she moved to Suno...

Many of my recruits had died, so I made another round through the designated area to recruit more peasants from all the different factions. After I had done this, I decided to exploit the trade route between Tulga and Ahmerrad once again: the increased weekly wages asked for such exploits. While I rode between these Nordic cities, Klethi had another fight with other party members: she took her own conclusion, and decided to leave. Maybe it's for the best: she was after all only a lot of trouble.

012a.jpg

Klethi decides to leave the party. It might be for the best.

During my visit to both the Khergit Khanate and the Sarranid Sultanate, I heard that king Harlaus had indicted count Plais for treason, stripped him from his lands and expelled him from Swadia. The count had followed my trace and ended up as a boyan of the Khergit. I should be carefull when planning my coupe. I continued my journey to Vaegir lands, where I sold some Khergit salt. Then I received word about a feast by the king in Praven, so I rode as fast as I could to that city. There was even a tournament, where I was knocked out flat in the first round. To heal my bruises, I visited lady Gaeta and went thereafter to the party. There I asked king Harlaus if I could be marshal. He wasn't negative about it, but thought {I should prove myself a little more. So I rode to the border again, and started to search for a fight.

First I rode to Haringoth Castle, where I met some unexpected opposition: count Devlian wasn't charmed by my avances towards lady Gaeta: he warned me to stay away from her. Tough luck for him, since she likes me too. Then I entered the kingdom of Rhodoks, and rode alongside the coast, until I heard the news of 14 October: there was finally peace between Swadia and Rhodeks. I was now able to visit each city again, and did so. In Jelkala I met a man, Marnid, who could be usefull in the party: he knew not much yet, so I could shape him into the person I wanted him to be. I hope he is a better companion than Klethi. Firentis also joined my group.

012b.jpg

Marnid is like a virgin: fragile and shapeable.

I was given the mission by the Rhodek count Gurlas to destroy a mountain bandit lair. So I rode along the mountains, in search for this hideout. On the road I encountered count Devlian, one of the counts I had a good standing with. He asked me if I could denounce count Meltor in his face: that would bring his reputation down, and enable the growth of Devlian and me. I liked the plan, and rode to Uxkhal, where he was seen last. There I spoke to him about two things: his sister Gaeta, and my denouncement of him. He didn't like that I had already spoken with his sister, and warned me not to see her again. Also, he didn't like my insult: we duelled about it, but I managed to knock him out in the end.

Another duel I fought over a lady, lady Mechet, the wife of a Khergit noble. I had spoken to her in Tulga, and was heartbroken by her story of jealous lordships, so I promised her to search Charuka noyan and tell him to leave her alone. She was married after all! I found him close to Reyvadin, and challenged him to fight over this. I won the duel, and got a smile from the lady. Then I quickly rode away from the scene, since king Harlaus decided to declare war to the kingdom of Vaegirs.

012c.jpg

I challenged Chaurka noyan to a duel, the second one in a few days. I'm getting good at it.

I didn't want to get involved in the war yet: there were some businesses I had to attend first. Like reporting back to count Devlian, telling him how I denounced count Meltor. When I found him between Suno and PRaven, he was very pleased, and asked me to train some knights for him. I'd gladly do that for him, to improve our relationship. I also tracked down count Reland, to lend him my surgeon Jeremus, to convince his friend to get surgery. And now I'm in Suno. Maybe I'll ride back to my castle and join with full force the offensive against Vaegir. Also some men uttered their concern about all the bloodshed: maybe it's time to let them stroll the lands and proclaim I'm the next Calradian king. But for now I'll have to get some sleep: tomorrow will be a busy day.

012d.jpg

Gameplay notes
012e.jpg

Chapter 13: A claim has been made
30 November 1257

Dear Diary,

The truth is out there. One by one I called my trusted companions to me, and told them about my aspirations to become king of entire Calradia. They all knew a different way to spread the word, and I gladly let them go for a few weeks. On 1 November Jeremus gave me a speech about how the old Imperial Calradian ways were just a myth: he would create a document proclaiming me to be best fit to rule these lands, and spread it to every tavern in the country. This would take a few weeks. Just a few hours after Jeremus left, Nizar objected to this. But he hadn't had an alternative, even though the rest of the group had ideas. I should watch Nizar closely: he might become an hindrance to my ascention.

After I visited my castle and filled my ranks with men, I started looking for the rest of the Swadian counts. If I wanted to join in the battle, I had to be at the place where they were: only then I could save the day. I searched the entire country, and asked around. And on 10 November Jeremus returned. Unfortunately I hadn't had space for him, so he returned a few days later. But I was able to sent Artimenner on his mission: he promised to ride to all the guilds and burghers to tell them I'm a honest man, and always pay my wages, debts and such.

013a.jpg

I sent my loyal men one by one out to the world, to convince the people of the six kingdoms that I'm the best man for ruling them all.

With Artimenner away, I learned that most of the Swadian lords were laying siege on Dramug Castle, so that's where I headed. While I rode that way, I encountered the Vaegir boyar Harish, engaged him and defeated him. Unfortunately he escaped. At Dramug Castle, I saw half of the nobles and king Harlaus laying siege, so I rode up to the camp, and spoke with the king. I would join the next attack, which turned out to be quite successful: storming the ladder, we managed to gain access to the fortress, and kill all the defenders. Dramug Castle was ours. I immediately spoke with everyone, and they were all pleased that I had joined the last attack: After I had joined, the castle was conquered. The king was even considering giving the castle to me, and count Klargus supported him in that decision. The next day, on 13 November, he indeed gave me that castle and the neighbouring village of Tebandra. Only Rolf came grumbling to me, noticing that Artimenner was proclaiming my right to the throne based on my accountants skills. He might have a point, but still, as long as it's usefull, I'm satisfied with it.

013b.jpg

I tried to climb the ladder during the siege, but there were too many men in the way. Even though I didn't had any real fight, the men were proud to have fought along me.

After the honour was bestowed on me, I rode to Uxkhal, where I insulted count Meltor again, and duelled with him over it, which I won. After this little incident, I decided to inspect my new holdings, and on route I heard about a peace between Vaegir and Swadia. There were new men in this second castle, and I decided to station my best men in Uhhun Castle, while the recruits would have to resident in my new Dramug Castle. Then I would train my recruits to battle hardened veterans, and station them in my old place, until I'd have a force to be reckoned with: then I'd spread it out over the two castles.

On the 19th of November, Artimenner returned, and I send Rolf out to the brave world. Until so far no-one had believed me that I had been a count before: no-one had ever heard of Europe, the Holy Roman Empire or Holland before. But Rolf, pretender of greatness with his 'house of Rolf', did wanted to listen. I don't know if he really believed me, but he did promise to go out to every village and proclaim my royal lineage: let everyone know that not a common peasant wants to rule them all, but the rightfull ruler of Holland. Firentis was opposed to this action, but he still didn't believe me being of royal birth, even with such a quick ascention in the Swadian court. While Rolf went away, I exploited the trade route between Tulga and Ahmerrad once again. I also participated in the tournament of Tulga, but was unfortunately knocked out in the first round. That didn't stop me from admiring lady Ruha, who seemed very interested in me. I'll be back more often to Tulga, I guess.

013c.jpg

I met lady Ruha in Tulga: the third lady to be interested in me.

On 28 November Rolf returned, and Nizar had finally came up with an idea to help me gain the throne. Around the camp fires, he had already showed his skills as a minstrel, singing of kings long gone, spinning epic tales that would last forever. Now he'd wanted to tell the world about my journey to the top in an epic poem, which he would spread at every fire he could find. Of course with some artistic freedom.

Today I'm travelling through Swadia, on my way to Rhodoks, to buy some velvet. Ever since there was peace I had nothing to fight for, so I traded a little. But today I heard that king Harlaus has declared war against the Khergit. That will make it a little difficult to visit lady Ruha in Tulga, and it might be dangerous for Uhhan village and castle, but they'll manage. My companions spread out over the country to reinforce my claims, while I will now prepare for another war, against another foe.

013d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Since Floris' stats haven't changed since last chapter, I'll show you some reports (added together in one picture):
013e.jpg

I did quite a few missions for him, I attended as much of his feasts as possible and I helped him a few times out when he was under attack. This all improved my relation with him.

Chapter 14: Defensive and offensive
15 December 1257

Dear Diary,

Swadia and the Khergit Khanate had engaged in a war, with my two castles both on the border. Not an ideal situation, so I rushed back to see if any culprits were laying siege in my absence. But even though enemy patrols were spotted near Uhhun Castle, nothing had happened yet. I did learn to my surprise that Narra had fallen to the Sarranids, giving myself some space. While I rode to Dramug Castle, I got news from marshall Klargus: he wanted me to join his campaign with at least 28 men. I continued to my second castle, took some men and wanted to ride towards him, but intervened underway in a battle between count Mirchaud and Urumuda noyan. I turned up in the nick of time, but had heavy losses. It improved my relation with Mirchaud and the kingdom of Swadia enormous. But despite this success, or maybe because of it, count Klargus didn't wanted to add me to his main army.

While I rode between my villages, I learned that Kramuk noyan attacked Uhhun. Luckily I was close, so I first picked up all my veteran warriors from Uhhun Castle, and then intervened. Kramuk was already scouting the area and I quickly attacked him. Thanks to my experienced warriors, I managed to defeat him. He unfortunately escaped, but several of his men were taken prisoner: I locked them away in Uhhun Castle.

014a.jpg

I had a stunning victory on 4 December 1257.

The moment I rode away from the battlefield, another Khergit Noble, Alagur, laid siege on Uhhun Castle. So I returned, gathered my men again and smashed him into oblivion. I really love those men in Uhhun Castle: they are the best. Again the lord escaped, but I took another few prisoners. While I rode to the Sarranid Narra, I heard that Plais, once count of Swadia and now noyan of Khergit, switched sides: he didn't want to fight his old friends, so he walked away from the Khergit and joined the Nord. I guess he's the loneliest soul in the kingdom, running from kingdom to kingdom and feeling nowhere at home. I wonder when he'll leave the Nord for some other faction.

On 7 December Nizar returned from his singing throughout the country, and did I sent Ymira away: she was worried that I might become a despotate like the current kings, and wanted to restore the old Calradian system with some kind of advisory board or whatever: I said I would honour that, but in my heart I knew I would rule solely over this land. So I sent her away with some mixed feelings: What will she actually tell the people out there, in my name?

014b.jpg

I didn't understand what Ymira meant with her speech: all I knew, was that she would go out and make me more popular.

Two days later I met king Harlaus. He was content with my recent victories, so he listened to my proposal: to attack Rindyar Castle. That one was lying between my two current castles, and it would only fit if I could add it to my domain. That's why I suggested to him to take it: I followed not far behind him. The moment he laid siege to the castle, I jumped in to help him out. While the attack was going on, I spotted the former count Clais, who had once defected to the Khergit Khanate. I tried to convince him to join the Swadian side, but he was stubborn: therefor I attacked him, scattered his forces and took him prisoner. I put him away in Uhhun Castle. Then I returned to the siege.

Once I got back to the siege, the fighting had been going on for quite a while already. Actually something I was hoping for: the defences of Rindyar Castle were tighter than I had proclaimed to the king, and returning at this time might make me, with fresh troops, the tip that determines the balance. Together with the king I stormed the walls, and even though I could get upstairs this time, there wasn't much to do: the Khergit defenders weren't with many left, and fell pretty easy. Of course I suggested to the king that the castle would have to go to me. He first was thinking of keeping it for himself, but after pointing out the location between my other two castles, he could only agree to give it to me, which he did two days later.

014c.jpg

In the last light of the day, I stood upon Rindyar Castle and watched my men grab the victory.

After the siege, I rode back to Uhhun Castle, while being followed by Brula noyan and a giant army. Luckily I outrode them, and reached my veteran troops before he could slaughter my exhausted men. After I had replaced my men, I returned with a deadly force, but was unable to find him. He must have fled, knowing the powers I could unleash. So I returned my men to the castle, and rode to Praven, where I met not only king Harlaus again, but also lady Gaeta. Tomorrow I'll ride back to the front, since I have heard that count Klargus has besieged the city of Halmar, which lies pretty close to my territory. How wonderfull would it be if I could add that one to my domain too.

014d.jpg

Gameplay notes
Since Floris is still level 17, I'll show you his current equipment:
014e.jpg

Chapter 15: Halmar under attack
1 January 1258

Dear Diary,

Here I am, in the middle of hostile Khergit lands, grumbling on the marshall while I should be celebrating over my territorial gains. But count Klargus has abandoned me here, behind enemy lines, while persuing his own victories. I was a rising star for a few months already, but things really speeded up two weeks ago. After I heard about the siege of Halmar, I left Praven and rode towards it. It was a long trip, so I made a stop in several cities on the way. In Uxkhal I participated in a tournament, but got knocked out in the first round. Also Ymira returned, so I sent out Firentis to proclaim my ascention. He wanted to spread the word among every court that I would be best fit to unify Calradia. When I got to the siege camp around Halmar, I found the main Swadian army there, under the leadership of Marshall Klargus. Even king Harlaus was there. Since the siege would take a while - the city was heavily defended - I first had a look at my new castle of Rindyar. There weren't many men: actually, there was almost no-one. So I took some men from Dramug Castle, and stationed them over there.

When I returned to Halmar, a lot of fighting had already been going on, exactly what I had hoped for. I waited a little bit until the defenders had been decimated, and then I joined in. The tactic had worked before, so why wouldn't it now? And indeed, the counts were all glad I had helped. I asked them all who they thought should receive the city, and count Despin once again thought of me. But this time the marshall, count Klargus, also sided with me, so king Harlaus had no other option than give another piece of the border under my control: I gained control over both the city of Halmar and the village of Peshmi.

015a.jpg

The red circle marks the area I want to control, the orange circled area's are the ones I currently hold.

In the meantime, I had looked at all the men from all the six factions, and decided that I wanted in every castle and city at least 50 Swadian sharpshooters. I also wanted later on some Khergit Horse Archers riding along me, but not while I was at war with that country. So I went out to train a lot of men: I had to get 200 of the best archers, and I needed them now. So I took all my crossbowmen, and travelled with them across the countryside, to train them and do some decent trading. Good soldiers have good wages, and I had to pay them after all. I bought flax and wool in Sargoth, grain in Praven, wine in Suno, where I also sold half of my grain. I sold the wine in Uxkhal and bought more wool in Veluca. In Jelkala I sold the remaining grain with not as much profit as I had hoped for, to make space for velvet and raw silk. I even had to get rid of a little wool, with loss, because the raw silk would give a much greater profit. I also got knocked out in the tournament, but did met lady Baotheia. I'll hope to visit her more often, just like with my other ladies. On my way to Shariz, I learned that my city of Halmar had been besieged by Asugan noyan. So after I had sold some velvet and bought some date fruits, I rode like hell to relieve my city from the siege.

Firentis also returned during my trade journey, so I sent this time Marnid on this important mission: he respected my interest in trade, and was glad I wasn't one of those pillaging and looting savages the rest of the lords had become in the past years. He would go to every guild hall and speak with every merchant to proclaim my good intentions on trade, and say that I would keep all the looting nobles in check. By the time he left, I arrived at the city of Halmar, only to see an enormous battlefield. Other counts of Swadia had already came to the aid of the city, and were fighting the khan himself. Also Chaurka noyan had plundered the small village of Peshmi, and followed me with obviously bad intentions. Asugan noyan and Urubay noyan were also lingering around. It would be a decisive day.

015b.jpg

An enormous battlefield had erupted outside of Halmar.

My force of crossbowman were impressive enough to scary most of the enemies away, so I could join the battle with the khan uninterrupted. Before I joined the fighting, I first sold the last of the velvet and the date fruits, only to buy more wool. I really had to find a market for that. Then I joined the battle, which went successfully. No wonder, since we had a force of over 700 men, while the khan was alone with his 70 guards. During this battle, the city of Khudan had also been conquered upon the Khergit. Most people supported count Montewar for the fief, although my friend count Despin, and even more important: king Harlaus himself, were glad to see my star rise upon the Swadian firmament.

The moment I left Halmar, the lingering group of Khergit nobles laid siege to it. Marshall Klargus gathered the men again to relieve the city for the second time, and I was in time to join in early. In the meantime count Harlaus had decided to grant me both the city of Khudan and the nearby villages of Shulus, Tismirr and Uslum. Even though it was a little out of the area I had intended to claim for my own, it would be unwise to refuse a second major city. Right now I had direct control over a much larger area than I had intended to have by this time. Tax innefficiency was killing me. My original plan for stationing elite forces wasn't going to work yet: I was gaining land faster than men. So I decided to recruit a lot of peasants to man the places instead. That would be cheap, and would keep the cities and castles well garrisoned. When the army returned to Halmar, the Khergit nobles fled away. They had heard of the defeat of their lord Sanjar khan, and didn't linger to let the same fate happen to them. I rode along marshall Klargus and see how the enemy fled into the Sarranid desert. Halmar had been relieved for the second time.

015c.jpg

I have gotten many cities, castles and villages, but the tax inefficiency is killing me. Is there something I can do about that, as vassal of Swadia?

I followed the marshall deeper into Khergit territories, but when they started to raid the village of Tash Kulun, I kept my distance. Marshall Klargus saw me lingering aside, and thus asked me to scout the area: he wanted me to bring reports about the village of Tash Kulun, which he was plundering right now, the village of Dirigh Aban and Malayurg castle. I quickly set out to bring him the reports as soon as possible, and reported on the first village and the castle as promised. But now, even before I could reach the town of Dirigh Aban, I received word that it wasn't necessary anymore to scout the last village. That means he just wanted to get rid of me. Was it because I didn't participated in the destruction of an innocent village, or because he thought I had been granted more than I deserve? anyway, I'll ride away from him, that's for sure. I'll go to the Sarranids to sell some wool, and then I'll inspect my new holdings around Khudan.

015d.jpg

Gameplay notes
015e.jpg

Chapter 16: Matheld and the wool
26 January 1258

Dear Diary,

Today was a happy day, after a tough month. I got titular recognition for my deeds, and have risen very high among the Swadian nobility, even higher than I had been back in the Holy Roman Empire, as count of Holland. The scheming of marshall Klargus hadn't helped him: the king likes me too much for that. After the marshall had left me in hostile Khergit territory, I turned around, and rode to Durquba. I had heard that flax would sell pretty well over there. Underway I dropped off most of my men at Halmar: I would travel faster without all those crossbowmen. I also met another young lady in the tavern, with the fighting spirit of a man: Matheld. She joined my group, and rode along me to Durquba. But I immediately regretted having her alongside me, since she started to complain about Firentis talking about peace and such. She only wanted war and bloodshed.

Before I reached Durquba, I heard that Khudan was being besieged. I even hadn't had the chance to pay it a visit, and it was already under attack. I hoped the marshall would save the day: he seemed pretty bound to kill as many Khergit as possible, even peasants, and the city was now a Swadian one after all. In Durquba I sold my flax with much profit, and bought some date fruits. Then I rode on to Ahmerrad. In the middle of the desert I fought with some bandits, and Matheld started to complain about Ymira. She really became a pain in the buttocks. The moment Marnid returned, I wanted to sent her out to spread the word of my future rule, but she didn't quite get it. Instead she started to fight with Jeremus. So I sent her away to spy a little in the kingdom of the Nords. That kept things stable in my party. In Ahmerrad I bought some iron, and even more wool. I got plenty of that sheep fur with me now: I started to feel like a sheep myself.

016a.jpg

I bought more wool in Ahmerrad at the local goods merchant: I felt like a sheep.

After my visit to the Sarranids, I rode very carefully through the hindland of the Khergit Khanate, to get to my city of Khudan. Unfortunately the road led me right through the heart of the Khergit homeland. I tried to sneak past the city of Ichamur, but first made a stop there to sell all my iron and even some wool. I left the city in the middle of the night, using the darkness as a cover for my retreat. It all seemed to go well, until dawn arose: I almost stood in front of Sungetche Castle, the fortress guarding the pass I had to cross. But luckily Matheld hold me back in time: she had gathered intel on the kingdom of Nords, and returned to me. This is actually the only usefull deed she had done for me this past month. Together we waited at the Khergit end of the mountain range: at the other end, she told me, were a lot of Khergit nobles fighting Swadian lords. When the night fell, the large Swadian force reached the castle. Even though they decided not to attack, I used the diversion to sneak past and ride to Khudan.

Khudan was under siege when I arrived, but luckily the Swadian army relieved the city pretty soon from it. The boyars had heard about their khan getting smashed by the main Swadian army, and didn't try to find out their luck. I took a food look at my second city, but wasn't able to sell my wool. Therefor I rode on to the Vaegir city of Rivacheg, where I also couldn't find a good deal, and continued to the Nord city of Wercheg, where I bought some salt. On the road Jeremus was hit by Matheld: she was complaining about headages, and he tried to cure her with leeches. She then struck him with an accusation of witchcraft! Really something unheard off; I know I can trust Jeremus. He's a fine surgeon, and has proven himself not only to me, but also to other lords.

When I continued my journey to Curaw, I was attacked by a few bands of sea raiders and taiga bandits, but managed to slay them. After the fights Ymira tried to loot a purse from one of the bodies, but Matheld struck her and said she had made that kill. Maybe she was right, maybe not: her vile behaviour was really getting on my nerves. In Curaw I bought some iron, and sold all of my salt. Then I continued to Reyvadin, where I sold all my iron. I still had an awful lot of wool with me, but being close to my holdings, I realised I had to post more men to defend it all. I would start with archers, or better said: Swadian crossbowmen or sharpshooters, although I knew I had to settle down for some skirmishers for now. I immediately started to recruit as many Swadian peasants as possible, starting in the villages near Dhirim. I of course paid a visit to that city, but there weren't any good deals over there. I did hear in the tavern about a peace settlement between Swadia and Khergit: finally, since now I could concentrate on recruiting men for my holdings, instead of fearing every journey. I could even visit lady Ruha in Tulga, where I of course immediately headed. She was glad to see me.

016b.jpg

Finally there was peace between Swadia and Khergit.

After my short visit to Tulga, I rode back into the kingdom of Swadia, and continued my tour along the villages. As I rode to Uxkhal, king Harlaus decided it was time to fight the Rhodoks. The previous war had been over for just a few days, and the madman plunged his kingdom into a new one. I really need to take over, since he destroys the commerce with his aggressive policy. Anyway, there no good deals in Uxkhal, so I continued to Suno, where I met lady Elys. I also sold a little bit of wool, but bought mostly wine and oil. Then I rode on to Praven, where I met king Harlaus. He wanted me to train more knights, which I of course would do. Maybe he would reward me with another castle or city, if the war would go well? I suggested he would take Reindi castle, which neighboured the rest of my holdings. In Praven I sold all of the oil and some wine, and visited lady Gaeta. Then I returned to Uhhun Castle to pick up some good men and help the king with Reindi Castle, but when I arrived, he had already conquered it.

I brought my veteran men back to Uhhun Castle, and started to divide my archers all along my holdings. Two cities and three castles: each one should have at least fifty sharpshooters, but since training takes time, I would have to settle for crossbowmen or skirmishers for the time being. This journey brought me also to Khudan, where I finally managed to sell the last pieces of my wool. I almost started to grow wool myself. The moment I started to ride back to Uhhun Castle, Matheld came to me. The past month had been a difficult one, not only for me. She had fights with many of my close friends, and didn't like the trading and peacefull solutions I came up with. There wasn't enough plundering going on for her liking, so she'd left to find her fortune on her own. Good riddance: if she hadn't left, I would have sent her away once I got to Uhhun castle.

016c.jpg

Matheld decides to leave the party. If she hadn't taken this decision, I would have kicked her away.

The moment I arrived in my castle, a messenger was waiting for me. King Harlaus was holding a feats in Praven, and I would be the guest of honour. With only a few of my trusted men I rode as fast as I could, although I did pick up quite some wine in Suno. Once I stepped in the large hall of the capital, all eyes of the present nobles turned on me. Some, like my enemy count Meltor, were loaded with jealousy, while others, like my friend count Despin, were full of admiration. The king started with the announcement that the recently castle of Reindi would be now under the control of count Devlian, while he would keep the village of Ehlerdah for himself. But, he continued, this recent conquest was only possible thanks to my good suggestion. He thus spoke:

'The past half year count Floris has shown us the true meaning of ambition. He has already been rewarded well with land, cities and castles, but his cunning still amazes me. Taking care of our eastern protection all by himself, he will need the royal recognition that comes with that responsibility. Therefor I have decided to give him the title of Margrave.'

I'm glad I had brought the wine, since I certainly gave away many rounds this evening. Margrave! I have risen in the ranks of nobility. Now I really need to consolidate my holdings. But first I'll party.

016d.jpg

Gameplay notes
016e.jpg

From now on I'll show you once in a while a map of Calradia. Here is one for the starting situation, when Floris arrived:
016f.png

And here is one for the current situation. I encircled my holdings, Floris' Margraviate. You can see that the Vaegir and the Khergit have lost many holdings. The Sarranid had much success against the Khergit, but are losing in a recent war against Rhodoks. The Nords are doing extremely well: they only have gained territory, and didn't lose anything. Swadia has lost quite a lot to the Nords, but have gained much more in the east.
016g.png

Chapter 17: Building support
1 March 1258

Dear Diary,

The past month I've fought a lot. The beginning of my own Margraviate is signed with blood, and strangely enough, people are liking me even more for it. Maybe they realise that a border count, who has been elevated into magravate and controls a really large country, is bound to be plunged into war. Back home magraviates had endless possibilities to expand, and so have I. But this month my gains were in the goodwill and friendship of people and nobility.

After a large feast held in honour of my newly appointed title, I still had quite some wine left. While I rode back to my domain, I met count Montewar in the tavern of Uxkhal. I was resupplying their stock, when he called me to a quiet corner. The war with Rhodoks had been going on for a while, and he had some money problems. While my star and purse were rising above anything and anyone else, he was slowly crawling forward. To make a little contribution to the war effort, he asked me to capture a Rhodoks noble. Any noble would be sufficient, as long as he could ransom him. Trying to get him on my side, I agreed to do it for him. No wonder I heeded the call of count Klargus when he called for me again, even while his betrayal was still fresh in my memory.

017a.jpg

The only way our marshall, count Klargus, could hold his army together, is by plundering innocent villages.

After I collected quite a few able men in Uhhun castle, I rode straight to Rhodoks territories, where I found the count while he raided another village. After he finished his looting, I followed him into battle: they encountered count Falsevor, whom I helped to defeat. Unfortunately he escaped, although I would encounter him with a much smaller army later last month. After our victory the entire army split up: the marshall wasn't able to hold everyone together, to form one coherent striking force against the Rhodoks. I also rode into a general direction, until I ran into count Laruqen: I fought this Rhodoks count and after his defeat, I managed to capture him and drag him to Montewar. The moment I beaten him, I freed the Sarranid emir Ghanawa from his grasp. He wouldn't forget this rescue: this might come in handy later on. To celebrate this victory, we both took the last of my wine.

The next morning I was woken up by Artimenner. We had to hurry back to my margraviate, to start constructing a lot of new buildings. At first I though him nuts, but he managed to convince me: in every town I should start building a new school, where the farmers are taught to love me: also we needed a large mill industry, to boost productivity and thus taxes. That sounded good, so I agreed to ride along all villages, and start constructions everywhere. Even at this moment you can hear the sawing and hammering all across the east.

017b.jpg

The villages in my margraviate are all really different: some are on the steppe, others in the forest and some even in the snowy cold fields. But at night they all turn dark.

Building my margraviate up to the most industrious part of the empire, would take time, and especially money. The initial constructions costed me quite a lot, and I needed to replenish my treasury. The most effective trade route I knew, was between Tulga and Ahmerrad. But it would be even more effective if the people in these cities would like me. So I decided to talk with the guild masters in each one of them, and ask if I could do something for them. And indeed, they could use my help, since their lords were too busy waging war or doing business elsewhere.

While I rode hence and forth between the two cities, buying spice and salt in Tulga and buying iron on Ahmerrad and selling both in the other one, I killed many desert bandits for the poor merchants in Ahmerrad. Those bandits just kept on coming back. Now that I was armed with many fine Swadian knights, they didn't dared to attack me, and many fled before me. Some I even had to track down all the way across the country of Sarranid, but I managed to find them every time. In Tulga the requests were a little more complicated. Of course there were sometimes bandits to be taken care off, or a caravan to be guarded, but the most important job I got there, was to ensure there would be peace between the Vaegir and the Khergit. I had learned from my experience with the peace between Swadia and Rhodoks half a year ago, so I first rode to the far off Nords and bought peace with them, before I rode to the much closer Khergit lord, who could be persuaded with much less denars. The reward from the guild master of Tulga compensated me royally.

017c.jpg

I spoke with the guild master of Tulga, and arranged a peace between the Vaegir and Khergit for him.

Now I'm back in Tulga, with once again a fat purse. The big difference is that my country is now in the progress of being build up, while the people along the best trade route are starting to like me very well. Maybe it's time to bring my focus back to my own country, and start to please the people of my own villages along with the guilds of my cities. They are, after all, the ones who'll have to pay my taxes. And I also need to secure the trade routes that lead to both Khudan and Halmar: if those are safe, the tariffs will be flooding my treasury. This will be a nice opportunity to train more men.

017d.jpg

Gameplay notes
017e.jpg

As you can see on the current map, the Sarranids managed to drive the Rhodoks back from their desert. At the moment they are at peace. In the north the Khergit were defeating the Vaegir when I intervened and arranged a peace settlement: they effectively sliced the Vaegir in two with their new colony.
017f.png

Chapter 18: The sieges
3 April 1258

Dear Diary,

I've been a whole year in Calradia, and look at the changes that happened in this time. I've become a margrave and helped the kingdom of Swadia to the top. The king listens to me and I made a few friends. But the past month has been harsh. The war with the Nords is asking its toll, even though Swadia is at the moment on the upper hand. But I have lost much, really much. It all started a month ago, when I had the splendid idea to start to please the people of my margraviate. I started in the city of Halmar and the nearby village of Peshmi by asking what they wanted. The merchants of the city needed protection so they asked me many times to escort caravans, or to drive some cattle. No big deal. But Peshmi was a total different story.

When I arrived at the place, the villagers were being hunted down by many troublesome bandits. They took the cattle, raped the women and sold the children into slavery. The moment I rode up to the place, the village elder came begging to me: 'Help us, lord, from those vile evildoers,' he said, and I couldn't refuse. I entered the village with my army and quickly swept them away. But having been so abused, the people were angry. Not at me, but at their own inability to fence those robbers off. So they asked me to train them, to be able to withstand any other attack. I agreed, and after a few hard days some of the peasants managed to show some basic combat skills. Just in time, because the bandits returned. Together we taught them a lesson they won't forget so easily.

018a.jpg

I trained the peasants of Peshmi to withstand the attacks from bandits.

While I was training peasants, I heard on 8 March about a peace treaty between Swadia and Rhodoks. But knowing king Harlaus, I knew that this month wouldn't pass without a fight. Especially when I heard about a border incident three days later, I knew that the next war was already on the doorstep. The next day, on 12 March, king Harlaus declared war on the kingdom of Nords. Officially because of the trespassing at the border, but everyone knew it was because he wanted to regain the lost territories. The past year the Nords had been the most successful faction of entire Calradia, so this was bound to be a hard fight. but the king doesn't care. He cares for no-one except himself.

The first action marshal Klargus took, was to lay siege on the lost city of Dhirim. The whole war had started over this city, after all. But the entire Nord army, over 1800 men strong, came marching down the road and the marshal fled like a coward. No wonder Klargus lost this title later in March: fleeing the army and betraying me before won't do his reputation any good. After that enormous army had scared the Swadians away, they marched on, to the next Swadian city on their list: Halmar, where the people just had started to like me.

With my small band of warriors I quickly evaded that main army, and rode on to Uhhun castle, where I gathered my elite forces. Sarranid Mamlukes, Swadian Knights, Vaegir Knights and of course a lot of sharpshooters. Along with my friends like Jeremus and Ymira I rode to the rescue of Halmar, where I foolishly enough had left too few guards. Just a handfull of them were barely alive when I arrived. I was just in time, since the army was about to storm the city. In total I had to defend the place with 86 men, while the Nord enemies attacked with 1800. No Swadian armies came to the rescue: we were all by ourselves. No wonder we lost, although I can proudly say that we took many with us. We killed 457 Nords, and wounded 21 more of them. For every two of my men that fell, eleven of theirs went down. It was a brave battle, and I even took up a crossbow after many sharpshooters had fallen, and tried to hit the enormous crowd myself. That wasn't hard: they were so packed together, so eager to use the ladder, that it was hard to miss anyone. But in the end it was in feign, since all my men were killed, my friends were scattered across the land and I was put in a cell deep in the dungeons of Halmar.

018b.jpg

I only had 86 men to defend the city of Halmar against 1800 Nord enemies.

I'm glad that I had invested in the goodwill of the people, since the next day a guard came to me. If I could share just a little of my wealth with him and his family, he would lead me out of there. OF course I grabbed that opportunity, and soon I was outside the city. All alone, without any friends or men. I noticed that marshal Klargus tried to take Dhirim again: he was laying siege to that city for the second time. But history repeated itself: when the main Nord army, although severely weakened, arrived, he and the rest of the Swadian army fled in every direction. Count Grainwad wasn't quick enough and was beaten, although he managed to escape.

I was angry for the loss of my city, and rode to Praven, to see the king and to gather support for an attack. The king was too busy with holding speeches about the greatness of this war and didn't wanted to be bothered. I also asked if I could be the next marshal, since Klargus wasn't doing such a good job, but he thought I had to prove myself more. Hah! Luckily I found more support in two counts: Ryis and Regas. Together we rode out, and on the way I also convinced Deglan to join our quest for Halmar. They arrived a little before me, and already started the siege. Knowing that the main Nord army was still around, I tried to find a distraction. When I heard that Haringoth had been made the new marshal and was gathering forces near Dhirim, I knew what to do.

Immediately I rode to the gathering, and convinced Rafarch, Rochabarth and Mirchaud to attack Dhirim immediately. Third time's a charm, they must have thought. I checked out the siege of Halmar, and knowing that one was still ongoing and secure, I returned to help in Dhirim. The marshal and his army had joined my diversion troops: even the king himself came around to have a look. Of course I joined the battle, and together with almost a thousand men we stormed the city of Dhirim. This time no Nord army arrived to aid their defenders, and we managed to capture it.

018c.jpg

Together with the Swadian army, I storm the city of Dhirim.

Unfortunately the king didn't recognise my loss. I had hoped to get this city or Halmar, but in the end I got nothing. The main Nord army had gone to Halmar and broken the siege, while I heard today that king Harlaus gave the city of Dhirim and the surrounding villages to count Regas. I'm angry, since my margraviate has shrunken, but I now know what I must do the coming month: gather as much peasants as possible to build up an enormous defence in my remaining city and castles, and try to find my friends back. I don't want to have a second Halmar happen to me.

018d.jpg

Gameplay notes
I have installed the Warband Battle Size Changer, and raised the maximum number of soldiers in the field to 1000. Expect more large battles.
Even though Floris hasn't gone up a level, it's worth looking at his current stats. Before the siege of Halmar he had crossbow 33, now he has 87. So he received 54 points from one battle!
018e.jpg

The war with the Nords have brought quite a few changes to their luck. Swadia has managed to capture large portions of land back, although I have lost a whole city: the one I was pleasing. Also the Vaegirs strike back: using the clash between Nord and Swadia, they managed to recapture Curaw.
018f.png

Chapter 19: Looking for my companions
26 April 1258

Dear Diary,

After I was defeated in Halmar, my companions were scattered along the landscape. They fled the battlefield, or were dragged away in captivity. Once I was released, I had to track them down and find them again. It wasn't an easy task, since they had literally gone to every kingdom they could find, but after almost a month of searching, asking and riding from city to city, I managed to get them all back in line, and even gathered some new ones, although I wonder how this will turn out: some people don't seem to like each other.

The past month I hired four new companions, all in different cities. I asked around in the tavern of Dhirim, where I set off a month ago, and found out that Nizar had taken his residence in Veluca, so I headed that way. On my way I passed through Uxkhal, and met Ymira again. Once I got to Veluca, I learned that Nizar had befriended a female archer, named Deshavi. He asked if she could join the group. Even though he gave some very good reasons, I suspected he had a healthy interest in her. As I continued my journey, I met a rough guy in Yalen. Having set a precedence with Deshavi, I also hired this Baheshtur. In the meantime Deshavi learned about my intentions for domination over the country, and she would gladly spread the word that I'd make the roads a lot safer. Of course I let her, while I continued my journey to Suno. Later this month I also met another noble, called Alayen - robbed of his wealth, but not of his high attitude, and with an eye on Ymira - and a rough woman called Katrin, who is really superstitious and seems to bother Firentis a lot. It wasn't later this month I learned about conflicting opinions and quarrels between members of my party.

019a.jpg

While I rode from city till city, I found four new companions along my old ones.

When I arrived in Suno, on the 9th of April, I went to the great hall of the castle and walked through the crowd of nobles, searching for information about my missing companions, support for my cause and a good talk. As always I kept a watchfull eye for the beauty of the the ladies, who surprisingly were all around twenty. Now I'm thinking of it, I realise I haven't seen a girl of any other age: quite strange, although I haven't had any time to think about it before. I should watch more closely into this. Anyway, when I skimmed through the crowd of ladies, I noticed one girl trying to get my attention, instead of the other way around. Curious I walked towards her, and introduced myself. Her name was Nelda, daughter of count Klargus. She had heard many good things about me from her father, and very much liked to see me more. Later I spoken to Klargus himself, and he approved of me seeing his daughter. Quite exceptional, knowing the secrecy I had to endure with the other maidens, on whom I haven't given up yet, even though one day I'll have to choose. But the most stunning was the fact that it was count Klargus who had spoken well about me to his daughter: he, who had betrayed me, who fled sieges and whom the marshalship was taken away? Maybe I should revise my opinion of him.

019b.jpg

Count Klargus had told his daughter much about me: she therefore wanted to meet me and see more of me.

After I left Suno, I rode on to the Vaegir cities of Reyvadin and Curaw, to find Jeremus and Firentis. I dropped some men in Khudas, where I'm gathering a lot of forces, and moved on. While passing through the Khergit khanate I did some shopping in Tulga, only to sell it in Ahmerrad: the well-known trade route. But I passed through a lot of cities, and managed to gather almost all of my companions. By the time I got to Bariyye, I was only missing Rolf and Klethi.

In the city of Bariyye I heard that both my missing companions were in the Sarranid city of Shariz, so I headed that way: I guessed they were eager to join my side once again. But when I entered the city, there was a large tournament going on, and I wasn't able to find them in the crowd. So I decided to join the spectacle. Maybe I could fetch their attention. The fights were not in my speciality, since I had to use both the bow and javelin on the back of a horse. But despite that, I managed to drive many opponents in corners, and stabbed them unconscious. I managed to survive the first round, the second, and event he third. Then the excitement started to crawl in, along wonder about how far I had came. I defeated round four and entered five: before I knew it, I stood in the sixth round, the final one: even there I managed to defeat my opponent, and win the tournament. The first one since my arrival in Calradia I managed to bring to a successful conclusion. Filled with joy I let myself being carried throughout the streets. Unfortunately both Rolf and Klethi weren't in the city to share my luck.

019c.jpg

After a year of stranding in the first or second round, I finally won a tournament: in Shariz.

Rolf was to be found in Suno, where I learned that Klethi had went a separate way from him: she could be found in Sargoth, a Nord city deep within their territory. I also learned about a new campaign against Halmar, this time organised by count Haringoth. Once again I joined the fight, and we managed to conquer the city. Immediately I entered the place, and had a good look around. In my private chambers I met lady Bergit, the Nord lady trying to flee for the Swadian knights. As honourable as I am, I let her go, allowing her to return to her family. She spread the word of my good deed among her people, and a few days later a peace was signed between the two nations. Of course king Harlaus wouldn't rest: he declared the next day war on his southern neighbours, Rhodoks. But I was now able to go unhindered to Sargoth, where I indeed found my last companion, Klethi. I won't get the city of Halmar back form the king: instead I received the village of Amere. But the luck that had happened to me the past few days - finding all my companions back and winning a tournament - let me forget to get angry with this. I let it be. I had also more important things to worry about: the defense of my remaining city and castles.

019d.png

Gameplay notes
Since Floris' stats haven't changed, I thought I'd show some reports:
019e.jpg

Swadia has won the war against the Nords, that much is obviously. They grabbed Halmar back and even got Kelredan castle. I received the village of Amere as compensation for my loss of a city.
019f.png

Chapter 20: Swadia burning
9 July 1258

Dear Diary,

Swadia is burning, and it has been for two months already. The enormous growth earlier this year was enough reason for the bordering kingdoms to make an alliance to stop this growing beast. If I had only foreseen the misfortune that would befall on me, I could have prepared more, could have rallied more support. But no, the first half of May I was too busy with the squabling of my companions. I had gathered many men around me, and it appeared some people didn't like each other after all. In April I had hired four new companions, but they all didn't fit in to the group. Before things escalated, I had asked them to go out to the people and spread the joyfull word of my upcoming ascention to the throne. Baheshtur told the steppe people he came from that I would guarantee them free passage to the markets, instead of a toll they now have to pay each time they pass through. Bunduk went out to tell every common peasant he would meet that I would have audiences with common folks once I'll be the supreme one. I don't know if I can forfill every promise I've made the past few months, but at least the people are starting to believe in me, which basically gives me enough right to rule.

But even though they had set out to spread the word, there wasn't any harmony left in the party, so the new ones had to go eventually. It's sad because I had hired them, but it seems I had made a mistake by doing so. Some of my most trusted companions started to rebel against this new generation of followers: especially Artimenner wanted to leave me by the end of April. I'm glad I managed to convince him to stay a little longer. On the eight of May Alayen decided it was enough: he left the group, to be followed by Katrin. Even Baheshtur saw we couldn't continue like this. In the end I sent Deshavi and also Bunduk away, keeping only the core of my old companions around me.

020a.jpg

Me and the seven companions that are left in my party: Marnid the horse archer, who will learn to fire a crossbow while riding into battle; Nizar and Firentis, who will be jousting knights charging the enemy; Artimenner and Rolf, who will think out the tactics and build constructions; Jeremus and Ymira, the medics of the team.

The war with Rhodoks, which had started by the end of April, was going steady. Swadia had conquered Almerra castle and the nearby village of Saren, but otherwise it wasn't that spectacular. Until the Khergit Khanate saw its chance and declared war too. A war on two fronts would be a real challenge: the forces had to be divided. But on the other hand: king Harlaus trusted me to protect the border. Pretty quick after the declaration of war, the Khergit forces were standing at the gates of Khudan. But I had been building up forces for the past month in that city, so when I arrived on the scene, the defence was a lot better this time. I decided to go out again and get more men to defend, but unfortunately I was overwhelmed by sea raiders. The first three groups I managed to fence off, but the fourth overcame me and took me prisoner. Rolf, Jeremus and I managed to escape the next day, but once again I had lost companions. I rode to Curaw, where I felt miserable. I had once again to look for many companions, although not all this time, and I had to rebuild my treasury. So I started to ride along the trade routes.

The first route I thought of, was the Khergit-Sarranid Spice route. I have ridden many times along there, and made a lot of money out of it. The route is short, but effective. I start in Tulga, where I buy spice for less than 700 denars. Most of the time I pay between 500 and 600 denars a piece. I also buy salt, for which I pay no more than 200 denars a piece. Then I ride through the eastern valley to Ahmerrad, where I sell the spice for at least 800 denars (I start most of the time at 880 denars) and the salt for at least 250 denars a piece. In Ahmerrad I buy iron for not more than 150 each, and ride back to sell in in Tulga for at least 250. There is one structural problem with this route: there is more money flowing from Ahmerrad to Tulga than the other way around, so after a few times the merchants of Ahmerrad aren't able to buy my spice anymore: then it's time to sell the last pieces in Bariyye and go somewhere else. But this time I couldn't go for this trade route, since Swadia was at war with Khergit.

Another possibility I thought of, were the Velvet sales of Jelkala. The city of Jelkala is the one place in the world where they sell really cheap velvet. Most of the time I can buy it there for 600 to 700 a piece, although I never pay more than 800. I haven't found a favourable selling city, since every one seems to want Jelkala velvet equally: they all pay more than 900. Unfortunately Swadia was also at war with Rhodoks, so no velvet for me.

The trade route I was closest too, was the Vaegir-Swadian Iron route. In both Curaw and Dhirim I could buy iron very cheap, paying of course not more than 150 each. Reyvadin is really waiting for this iron, and takes it all for at least 250. I hadn't found any other profitable resources on this route yet: therefor I had to look at a more extended route.

From that trade route, I came to a very large one, which takes five days to make just one round: the Nord-Swadian route. It all centers around the oil sale in Suno: if the selling price there is lower than 300, I can make monstrous profits: else I make only 2500 to 3000 per run. The cities I attend in this route, in order, are: Suno (where I buy oil for less than 300: I sell it for at least 450; I also buy wine, which I buy for maximal 150 and sell for at least 250), Wercheg (I buy salt for less than 200 and sell it for at least 250), Sargoth (I buy Flax for less than 100, which I sell for at least 100; Linen I buy for less than 250 and sell for at least 300; Wool for less than 100, I sell for at least 100), Tihr (Salt for less than 200 and sell for at least 250; Wool for less than 100, I sell for at least 100) and lastly Praven (Ale and Wool both for less than 100, sell for at least 100). The goods I can't buy in a certain city, I can sell over there. For example, I can buy ale and wool in Praven, and thus can sell flax, linen, oil, salt and wine over there.

020b.png

A map with the original kingdoms as I arrived, and the trade routes I ride.

As I rode the trade routes, I searched for my companions. In the meantime I hired Lezalit, an experienced sword instructor, and Borchit, another warrior. I hoped they would fare better in the group than my last round of hiring people, and apparently I was right this time. Marnid and Borcha seemed to get along pretty well, just like Lezalit and Artimenner.

On 30 May I heard that the siege of Khudan was over: the attackers hadn't been able to capture the place, easing my nerves and giving me more time to gather an army and find my friends back. This was also noticeable in my current group: Lezalit had heard of me before, and offered to ride to all corners of Calradia proclaiming that I would not only be the one to unite the kingdoms, but also to conquer all other realms outside. I don't know, that seems like an impossible task. But who knows: if I can unite these lands, I can do everything. A little later Borcha spread the word that I would pardon all but the worst prisoners once I'd become emperor. Both tales let my fame grow, and are good pavements for the emperorship.

During my travels I met lady Sihavan in Praven: lady number nine on my courting list. I really should focus my attention soon, and see whom I could marry best: not for love, but for political reasons. When I just arrived in Praven, I heard about the siege of my Dramug castle: unfortunately, I wasn't able to prevent its fall: most of my men had been stationed in Khudan. Now I had not only lost the city of Halmar, but also the castle of Drumar. I needed to gather more men to station in my remaining castles if I want to become independent one day. But on the good side: I was able to gather support on the feast to elect me marshal. Unfortunately the king didn't listen to his peers and choose count Klargus again. Maybe next time. I rode out and found my companions one by one back in the taverns of several different cities. Only Ymira and Firentis were at Yalen, deep in hostile territory: I wouldn't be able to reach them until there would be peace between Rhodok and Swadia.

020c.jpg

I found Marnid in the tavern of Dhirim, as I found my other companions in other taverns.

On 7 June the worst thing that could happen to Swadia, actually happened: the kingdom of Nords also declared war. Now Swadia had to face three enemies from three different sides: Rhodok, Khergit and now also Nord. While Swadia was raided from all sides and even all of the villages in the entire country were burning, I rode to the Sarranids and Vaegir to trade. The war seemed pretty far, until I saved a caravan from jarl Dirigun. Even though I defeated him and captured the lord, I let him go: he had fought well, and it was the honourable thing to do. Unfortunately pretty soon after that Rindyar castle fell to the Khergit too, robbing me of my second castle. I wouldn't see a chance to take them back, since on 21 June there was finally peace between Swadia and Khergit: they had obviously won the war. Thee days later the Rhodoks followed, claiming their spoils of the war. I finally was able to go to Yalen and get the rest of my companions back, but once I got there, they were gone already! Luckily I was able to retrace their tracks, and find them.

020d.jpg

I've got over 500 men, although many still need to be trained. Their wages are already killing my treasury...

Now I'm in my new capital, the city of Khudan. I've gathered more than 500 men. I'll keep on training them, to have an army soon that can plough through any resistance. I'll arm my companions till they are the deadliest group of the entire empire. With Lezalit and borcha they now count nine whose wrath will fall upon my enemies. I think we'll seal our companionship by creating a ring for us all: nine rings for the mortal men, and one to rule them all. I have lost much the past two months. Beware, everyone, because soon it will begin. Soon I'll thunder across the landscape.

020e.png

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats, including his renown, honour rating and right to rule:
020f.jpg

Three countries waged war at the same time against Swadia: no wonder that they've been pushed back hard. As margravate of the border provinces, I've been bit hardest. The Khergit have expanded much, and came back. The Nord have reclaimed Dhirim and some surrounding towns. Even the Rhodoks took a castle and town from Swadia.
020g.png

Chapter 21: Floris' harem
21 July 1258

Dear Diary,

I had lost two castles, a city and four villages: my land is shrinking. But I was determined to turn the tide, so I had gathered many men in Khudan. I had also sent my close companions out to the world, to proclaim my ascention, and prepare the people for the arrival of the new emperor. It's hard to believe I'm starting to believe myself that I'll becoming emperor one day: it's too fantastic to be true. But still, it's a dream worth working for. Before it can become a reality, I'll need to take care of a few more things: my popularity in my current fiefs, and finding a wife. Finding one will not be a problem: choosing will be. Ladies Afrid and Ruha have made it easy for me: they have married in the meantime and thus are not available anymore. Let me introduce all the seven possible candidates:

021a.jpg

Lady Atjahan. The bards say she's a most conventional maiden, and quite devoted to her family, which is currently only count Charuka. He was once a Khergit noyan, but switched sides to the Rhodoks a little while ago. The count currently has no fiefs and is suspicious towards me (relation -12). Even though she is an exotic beauty only 21 summers young, marrying her wouldn't give me much influence on the Rhodoks court.

021b.jpg

Lady Baotheia. This lady seems to be quite a romantic dreamer: gentle, but quite unpredictable. No wonder there has been some controversy about her. She and her family have always been part of the Rhodoks court, and marrying her would ensure me of some influence in that kingdom. Unfortunately I had once hunted down her father, count Laruqen, who is quite suspicious towards me (relation -7). He's the lord of two castles: Maras and Vyincourd. Matheas and Reichsin haven't got an opinion about me (both relation 0) and Gerluchs doesn't seem that fond of me (relation -3), but her uncle Talbar is more cooperative (relation 8 ). I haven't met her cousin Tellrog. If I marry Baotheia, the Rhodoks court would be the way for me to go.

021c.jpg

Lady Elys. I've heard she's a lady of the highest moral standards, and I've noticed that the past year on many occasions. But I haven't spoken yet to her about me openly dating her niece Nelda. Maybe she forgives me because she's quite favorable towards me. Her father, count Ryis, is actually quite positive towards me (relation 10). He is the lord of Kelredan castle, along with the villages of Amaskhe and Elberl. Her brother, count Montewar, is a good friend (relation 27), just as her uncle Klargus likes me (relation 14). Her second uncle, count Haringoth, is wary of me (relation -1), and her third, Clais, has been switching sides really often: I almost can't keep track of whom he sides this month, so even though he's not that fond of me (relation -2), I shouldn't weight to much to his opinion. Her cousins: Beranz thinks I'm ok (relation 2), as does Regas (relation 1), but Devlian almost hates me (relation -14). Marrying into this family will ensure me of much influence in the Swadian court, and Elys really likes me even from before I was so successful. But is she the right choice?

021d.jpg

Lady Gaeta. The woman I've been seeing the longest of all is Gaeta, with equal moral standards as Elys. She's really supportive and helps me all around when I'm in Praven, but unfortunately her brother, count Meltor, is my worst enemy (relation -20). He hasn't got that much influence with only the villages of Nomar and Iyindah. Maybe he would be more friendly if we're bonded through his sister?

021e.jpg

Lady Katia. She's a normal, conventional girl with a small family. Her father, Vuldrat, had fled the declining Vaegir kingdom, to join the winning side. This hasn't brought him any fiefs left, but at least he can raise his daughter in a more secure environment. He hasn't got an opinion about me (relation 0). I haven't met her brother Druli, who still fights the Vaegir side, and protects his village of Ayyike. Marrying her wouldn't mean any influence on any court, but it wouldn't make any enemies either.

021f.jpg

Lady Nelda. She's just a normal, conventional girl who's determined to steal me from her niece Elys. Her father has told her many good things about me, and so she arranged that I can see her without any fuzz. She's from the same family as lady Elys. Her father would support a marriage, and since he's lord of the important city of Suno, that would mean quite some influence. I wonder if there won't be a rupture in the family if I proceed with her, or Elys? We're working hard on our relationship, but it's not yet as far as with her niece Elys.

021g.jpg

Lady Sihavan. I only just met this girl, and don't know much about her. Her father, count Mleza, is just like Vuldrat a Vaegir fugitive without any land. I haven't met him yet. In contrary to Katia, Sihavan hasn't have any other family. All ties with her declining homeland have been broken. She's the biggest mystery of all seven girls, but ain't mysteries there to be solved?

As you can see, the choice is quite diverse. Some girls are from influential families, others are more on the background. But whom should I favour? Maybe I'll ask all of my companions, who I know read this diary when they think I'm not looking. I'll leave some blank spaces for them to write their thoughts. Whatever I decide, I think I should give all seven of them a ring too, to remember the good times. How did my Sarranid friend emir Ghanawa call it? A harem? Yes, getting all seven of them into an harem would be perfect, although I think that won't work in the end.

021h.png

Gameplay notes
I have installed the Arena Overhaul mod to make the arena's more interesting. I hope to show you some fancy pictures the next time I join a tournament.

Since Floris' stats haven't changed since the previous chapter (although his right to rule has been raised to 81!), and his gear hasn't changed much (only got a nice helmet now which gives +57 defence for the head), the reports won't show any new things and the map hasn't changed during these two weeks in July, I decided to show you just a few pretty pictures of Floris' new helmet and lance in action. Nothing wrong with that, isn't it?

021i.jpg

021j.jpg

021k.jpg

Thanks! And just go for it, start your own and see how well it goes :smile:. You don't have to post extremely fast: just post your chapters when they're ready. When I play for Floris, I make notes all the time, and screenshots of all mayor events. Sometimes I write a chapter during playtime, having half a chapter already finished before a major battle occurs. I hope to see yours soon!

Chapter 22: Sungetche castle
17 August 1258

Dear Diary,

About a month ago I had gathered enough forces in Khudan to make a difference. They weren't all yet fully trained, so I took them in small groups and rode out into the wide world, in the meantime trying to cheer up the people of Khudan. Their needs were very simple: I drove some cattle to Dhirim, slain some bandits near the city and guided a caravan to Bariyye. While I did all this, I traded along the well known trade routes. That was a necessary, since the army costed really a lot more than I could handle with the taxes. Something had to be done about that, and quickly.

While I rode from city to city, I noticed that the lords had given an overhaul to their arena's. I don't know who started, but once one did, the rest of the cities quickly followed. Arena's were being expanded, and given a total new look. Just when I started to win these tournaments, they changed it all. It doesn't seem very fair, does it?

022a.jpg

The arena in Praven has been expanded with a jousting course.

When I guided a caravan from Khudan to Bariyye, I of course visited Tulga to buy some spice. This was the perfect moment, because I knew war was inevitable: on 30 July the truce between our two countries had expired. Of course king Harlaus decided to declare war the moment I left the city of Tulga, still protecting the caravan and loaded with spice. Somehow I managed to get both me and them safely across the mountains, into the Sarranid desert. After I had delivered them and sold my wares, I met up with the new marshal, count Ryis. He scared away some Khergit forces near Uhhun castle, but otherwise he wasn't very inspiring, unable to gather much forces. So I spoke to the only other lord that had responded, count Grainwad, and suggested to him to lay siege to a castle on a pass between my margraviate and the Khergit khanate: Sungetche castle.

I rode as quickly as I could to my capital, to gather a striking force for the siege consisting of 35 Swadian sergeants and 35 Swadian marksmen. The count had already laid siege when I was in Khudan. Unfortunately, when I arrived, five Khergit nobles had came to the rescue of the city, bringing quite a large army. I couldn't effectively face that with my footsoldiers, so I returned to Khudan to get my cavalry: 22 Sarranid mamlukes, 3 Swadian knights, 25 Khergit veteran horse archers and 27 Swadian man at arms, of course along myself and my nine companions. The moment I arrived at the scene, things looked pretty grim for count Grainwad: he was down to only 6 standing men. Together we had 93 fit men at our disposal, to face 442 Khergit troops.

The ground trembled. Most of the opposing army consisted of horsemen too. Hundreds of horses galloping through the hills, clashing in the pass. If my men would go astray, they would never get out of here alive. So I ordered everyone to follow my lead. As one giant arrow we rode forward, and plunged through the widespread enemy lines. We squashed them like a fly, rode on and turned around, while I shouted in the meantime to everyone to follow me. We went hence and forth through the valley, ploughing again and again. The sight of my men slicing through them like butter was too much for many of the Khergit. They couldn't form an effective defensive line, couldn't make a good stand. In the end we killed 206 men and wounded 12 more, while 224 of those 'brave' Khergit fled away. Only 19 of my men had been killed and 61 been wounded. Not bad after all.

022b.jpg

Me and the cavalry thunder across the landscape, hitting the Khergit army pretty hard.

The result of the battle was stunning. The Khergit had been so sure of a victory: none had expected my rescue of count Grainwad. Tonju noyan and Dundush noyan managed to silently sneak away from the field, abandoning their loosing troops, but Akadan noyan, Brula noyan and Tulug noyan remained. I captured all three of them, and locked them away in the Tower of Khudan. When locked the door behind me, and looked out of the window, I saw once again Grainwad in trouble: after his defeat he had gone the wrong way of the pass, getting deeper into Khergit territory, along many steppe bandits. Weakened as his army was, he quickly realised his mistake and made a run for it, only to be closely followed by Urumuda noyan and his army of 111 men. I rode out again, and using the same tactics as before, I quickly freed the count from this Khergit menace. I captured Urumuda and put him in the Tower, along with the three other Khergit nobles. After these two battles, he was suddenly my best friend. But he didn't want to help me anymore with the siege of Sungetche castle: that had gone pretty bad for his army.

Since count Grainwad didn't want to help me anymore, I'd had to do the siege myself. First I scouted ahead with my cavalry army, to scare any Khergit reinforcements away. I defeated Tansugai noyan, who managed to escape, in the process. After I had assured myself of a Khergit-free domain between the castle and Ichamur, I went back to Khudan to get my siege army again and this time really lay siege to Sungetche castle. Immediately I asked my engineers, Artimenner and Rolf, for the best way to storm the walls. They suggested I'd build a siege tower, which would take 48 hours to build. I listened to them, and managed to stand tall for two days. Once the tower was finished, the attack begun. We hurled big rocks to the walls until a breach was formed: the perfect place for the tower to make a path to the castle. But before the tower reached the walls, I ordered my marksmen to fire on all the defenders clustering in the big hole. Many Khergit fell even before they had a chance to fence off my ground forces. Once the tower made contact and my sergeants stormed the walls, it was quickly over. Sungetche castle was finally mine. Quickly the Khergit offered me quite some money for both Brula noyan as Tulug noyan: 4800 denars for the first, 1800 for the second. Maybe they'll buy the other two free on a later date.

022c.jpg

After 48 hours the construction of the siege tower was finished, and I stormed Sungetche castle.

Yesterday, after I had taken the castle, I sent a message to king Harlaus requesting the castle to be added to my margraviate. That wasn't too unreasonable: I had lost a city, two castles and four villages the past months, and for the defence of this Swadian outpost it would be more effective if I could control it all. But today I got a terrible reply: he wanted to award the castle to count Regas, and sent me 900 denars to cover my expenses. The insult! Here I am, far away from the royal capital of Praven, fighting battles against terrible odds, defending the Swadian honour at the other side of the empire: after a harsh month I finally manage to capture a strategically important castle, but he won't give it to me? He, who rather hold feasts in Praven then to really be on a place where it matters? No, this has to stop. I had long ago determined that king Harlaus is a coward, an idiot and unfit for rule: today is the day I'll show the nobility of Calradia how a real ruler should behave. Today I declare independence, calling Khudan the capital of a new kingdom: Holland, named after my lost country back home, in the Holy Roman Empire.

022d.png

Gameplay notes
As you can see, I still have to assign fiefs. I'll do that in the next chapter.
022e.jpg

Today's declaration of independence means that there are now seven kingdoms in Calradia. For the rest there haven't been any changes.
022f.png

Back
Top Bottom