Sick of this

Users who are viewing this thread

dhowlett said:
Does this forum use the "Put the tin hats on" for conspiracy theorys? I see it alot in other forums im a regular on...either way

*Puts tin hat on*

Actually, never heard that, but it's hilarious, so I approve of it :grin:

To be fair, there is such a thing as 'packet loss'. It is largely independent of ping values shown, and typically causes various actions not to register with a server and 'rubberbanding' because the input was lost in transit. The consequence is that the server and client disagrees about what happened, and the server always wins that argument. It could conceivably be that.
I'd rather play with high-ish ping than with any amount of packet loss, as a matter of fact.

Mastermind said:
dhowlett said:
Does this forum use the "Put the tin hats on" for conspiracy theorys? I see it alot in other forums im a regular on...either way

*Puts tin hat on*

Actually, never heard that, but it's hilarious, so I approve of it :grin:

Haha, you best put it on too or your brain may fry!

Nemesis43 said:
To be fair, there is such a thing as 'packet loss'. It is largely independent of ping values shown, and typically causes various actions not to register with a server and 'rubberbanding' because the input was lost in transit. The consequence is that the server and client disagrees about what happened, and the server always wins that argument. It could conceivably be that.
I'd rather play with high-ish ping than with any amount of packet loss, as a matter of fact.

What's packet loss caused by, bad clients or bad servers?

Well, combat is still somewhat messed up in some regards. Weapon ranges and swing sweetspots (momentum sweetspots as well as blade sweetspots for axes) are still a bit too odd to merely blame it on latency.

Something that annoys me a lot is the two handed weapons landmine effect. If you dodge an overhead slash and then move back slightly and nudge the weapon at the moment it is virtually in the ground and has no momentum you will still take max damage. It's just like being hit at the very end of a sideswing with no momentum left yet taking the full force of the weapon.

Another thing that happens rather rarely is when swings seemingly goes through a target completely. Doesn't seem to be any trigger for this, but at rare time it happens. It's a lot more common for spears and pike thrusts - but that is probably a combination of the messed up ranges and latency. In any case, I still find it insanely hard to judge distances with spears.

But yeah, these issues have pretty much been around since the beginning of beta :razz:

Psiphoon said:
Nemesis43 said:

What's packet loss caused by, bad clients or bad servers?

Often, it's caused by the server being overloaded, but that's not the only possibility. Any connection on the internet goes through a number of intermediate 'hops'. If any one of those are functioning poorly or are overloaded, there will also be packet loss. The client itself can't really be the cause of it, although a DSL line that suffers from noise is a very likely culprit. In short, the problem can arise anywhere between the client and server.

Note that, depending on how the netcode of the game is put together, the latency and/or packet loss of others may also interfere with your own perceived performance.

I have experienced what the OP has as well. I thought to myself "I just need to practice more" so I did , played TDM and Siege til my eyes bleed. Top of the score board 85% of time with most kills and a decent ratio. But I still get what he is saying as I see my sword pass through people quite often when playing Battle. I see individuals almost impossible to hit that block everything and if you do manage to get a sword through it just passes through there body. I have seen it where my keys don't respond to manual blocking just as well as my directional swings. Too many "Odd" things to be considered "lack of skill" as another pointed out earlier.

The latency and netcode is just the beginning of the problems with this MP. Lagswitching or UDP flooding can simulate lag and make anyone unable to be hit. I see people do it, I know it works. My suggestion to the OP , play DM , TDM, or Siege. Battle isn't worth the stress of having to sit for 10 minutes because the hit didn't register.

The servers get less an less everyday due to poor quality players and servers. Eventually it will be those few left to actual play the game. My hope is that someone finally opens up a server that runs good.

The... impatient generation... will abandon this game soon enough and move on to the next FPS. Maybe then things will settle into something more enjoyable, where people don't actively try to cheat and where chat isn't clogged with smacktalk.

It's probably what others are saying. You're not as good as the other players who you can't hit.
I've experienced this a lot. There are some extremely good players on MP.

When I get frustrated with it Instead of complaining I just switch to an archer and take the easy cheap shots on them.  :twisted:

I was originally a pretty poor player but I eventually began to get better and better.  I can hold my own against average players while wielding a spear or one handed weapon in duels.  I have yet to actually try using a two hander in duels (other than spears or mauls).

LazyBastard said:
It's probably what others are saying. You're not as good as the other players who you can't hit.

When I get frustrated with it Instead of complaining I just switch to an archer and take the easy cheap shots on them.  :twisted:

I do not believe this to be true. I come from Mortal Online, a lot of friends from that game picked up Warband as a substitute until MO releases. I would say around 15 guys I play with everyday and talk to on ventrilo. The first week was frustrating trying to get used to the hitboxes for everyone. Once everyone got fairly used to the game we had our moments where we would be like "WTF that should have hit" at first we just blew it off. Now there is only around 3 of us that actually play the game regularly and 2-3 that play from time to time. We all agree that the hitboxes/lag/registration is off.

Put it this way, I can go into a server and totally destroy and 5 minutes later the same weapon doesn't hit the same way. There is something wrong with the registration, plain an simple.

I was in a duel server yesterday practicing jousting with the joust tournament rules from this forum (-2 dehorse, 1 deshield, 2 kill).  I found if I aim for the outter upper torso I go the most kills. 

I myself have noticed some weird things. What I have found is some servers my timing and hits will be all wonky, while I'll move to another server with the same or more ping and then it much better.

Skyrage said:
It's a lot more common for spears and pike thrusts - but that is probably a combination of the messed up ranges and latency. In any case, I still find it insanely hard to judge distances with spears.
The new two handed polearm thrust is rubbish in comparison to the old one, see here; the problems with it cause me to miss the more difficult attacks quite often. It was one of the main things I wanted to see fixed before release... still hoping.

It's a simpel game that is hard to master.
Even the best player will get killed by beginners. Even beginners will be able to kill the best.

The game has a long learning curve. Not even too steep but to be really good you need a lot, yes an immense, number of hours.
Ofcourse connection, pc, etc is sometimes relevant.

Try all, i mean all, weapons available. Just commit yourself to play a specific weapon that day and just accept the losses.

You can only win if you are prepared to loose.
You can only avoid a blow, if you are prepared to receive it.

Brynhildr said:
I was originally a pretty poor player but I eventually began to get better and better.  I can hold my own against average players while wielding a spear or one handed weapon in duels.  I have yet to actually try using a two hander in duels (other than spears or mauls).

:roll: I didn't noticed bold part. Spear is easy mode in duels, so no wonder you can beat random players with it.

Nasir said:
LazyBastard said:

I do not believe this to be true. I come from Mortal Online, a lot of friends from that game picked up Warband as a substitute until MO releases. I would say around 15 guys I play with everyday and talk to on ventrilo. The first week was frustrating trying to get used to the hitboxes for everyone. Once everyone got fairly used to the game we had our moments where we would be like "WTF that should have hit" at first we just blew it off. Now there is only around 3 of us that actually play the game regularly and 2-3 that play from time to time. We all agree that the hitboxes/lag/registration is off.

Put it this way, I can go into a server and totally destroy and 5 minutes later the same weapon doesn't hit the same way. There is something wrong with the registration, plain an simple.
hit detection is in no way perfect, but you can really compensate it by skill. Just don't blame the game, be prepared that there are some errors. There are enough players who really win 90% of all fights because of their skill, off hit detection is in no way game braking.

By the way this discussion is obsolete now, just look at the nice "learning curve" graph from neih, it explains everything.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,115140.0.html

Back
Top Bottom