[S] Historic Castles Project - the British Isles [Released for Warband]

Users who are viewing this thread

I saw a M&B castle siege battle on youtube, precisely at 2:18, there is an historic mistake. And I think castle designers should be aware about medieval architecture.

Despite M&B assaults always start to access upper wall/floor level with ladder and assault tower, real attackers could aslo (or mostly) break in from ground with battering ram engine or undermine foundations.
Then attackers had to climb stairs from ground floor to reach and clean up dungeon and towers.

1274739015.jpg

Why stairs should rotate that way and not the other ?

Like nowdays, most of people were right-hander, obiviously your right arm back-swing attack is quite limited in a narrow staircase, while you still have to expose your head first because your shield (left arm) can't cover properly.
1274739051.jpg

No. A righthander which is attacking (going upstairs) has a disatvantage because he can not use his swordarm good. This is the reason, why attackers have often sold left handed mercenaries.

For the defenders (the guys who run downstairs to defeat the castle) are the circled stairs an advantage (becaus for righthanded enemies they are not). But if a defender is lefthanded he has got an disatvantage. (same reason as righthanded attacker)

No, they only work for Warband (I tried copy-pasting them to 1.011 and the game crashed when entering a scene).

Progress report: Thick1988 suggested Conwy Castle and that got me looking at Walesian Castles built by King Edward I.
Now working on a similar castle: Beaumaris, a classic concentric castle:
http://www.greatcastlesofwales.co.uk/beaumaris.htm

GOD!!! As if laying siege wasn't difficult already, this is going to be a nightmare...Oh well what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Looking forward to it.  :grin:

Let me present the latest castle. Unfortunately it's very small compared to the actual size,
but the models in Warband don't look good when increased in size (too much). Anyway, I did what I could  :sad:

Name: Beaumaris Castle

History: http://www.castlewales.com/beaumar.html
            The last and largest of the castles to be built by King Edward I in Wales...

Year: circa 1330 (construction began in 1295 - and 35 years later it remained unfinished)

Reference:

Screenshots:

Defenders sally out:

During a siege. Only one ladder. It's a ***** to besiege:

Back
Top Bottom