Warband crashes at around 1,5 GB of ram used [SOLVED]

Users who are viewing this thread

Tietovallu

Recruit
There was no similar cases like this except the memory leak issue that might play a part in causing this problem. I decided to start a new topic.

Warband crashes when it uses around 1,4-1,5GB ram, causing a c++ runtime error (application requested to terminate for some reason ect.). I am currently using battle size changer to around 500. I know that this makes the game use more RAM but the crashes should not happen. I run TES IV: Oblivion with 8192x textures and all settings on high so it can use more than 2GB of ram, so I dont think there is any problems in my RAM. I heard someone mention in these forums that warband has some kind of memory leak bug that causes it to use too much RAM.

I have updated my drivers, ect. There is absolutely no problems with any other games, in fact, they run perfect. I also updated my c++ visual library, although I didnt believe it would work, and it didnt.

The game crashes in huge battles of like 1000. Usually it does not crash until the battle has been on for some time when alot of enemies have spawned. I also found out that if I save after about 30-60 minutes of playing after a large battle the game crashes.

I have thought of that there might be a bug in my system that causes warband to crash at 1,5 GB ram used. I have tried to google for similar situations with different games for no help. Also it is strange when other games do not crash.

I can provide additional information if needed.

My system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Asus P5K Premium
Intel Core2Duo E8500
4096MB RAM
Ati Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-x OC

I know that my CPU is causing a bottleneck, but there is really no point to invest in a decent CPU untill sandy bridges come out later this year.

There are also tens of very annoying bugs but I see this as the most game breaking.

Edit: I noticed that the game mostly crashes when units spawn. For some reason the RAM usage jumps very high at that point. I have bodies and ragdolls set to 0 so I thought that when units die they free up ram, and when enough space for units is relieved then more units spawn. Even when there is the same ammount of units after they have spawned, the ram still jumps higher and higher, resulting in a crash after some time. I temporarily fixed this by setting the battle size to over 500, though it will still crash in battles where units will have to spawn or after some time. You can also understand that I cannot keep raising it all the time because obviously the roof will come at some ammount.

Understand that the first problem is that the game crashes at around 1,5 GB used, not that it uses alot. I have a lot of ram to spare.

I cant provide any help, but this is indeed a great development. Yes, Warband currently does have problems with loading new characters.
The only thing i can suggest is try enabling/disabling instancing and load textures on demand. Try both, Furthermore use dx7 instead of dx9 see if your game still crashes in dx7.

finally, go download Warband patch 1.011 (i.e roll back the version) I believe 1.011 was the most stable patch for warband.

Good luck with your finds!

edit: disable instancing, load texture on demand in dx9 first, then keep all settings maxed but use dx7, if it still crashes, try disabling them again.

I had used disabling "load textures on demand" before I wrote this forum post, and it caused the game to crash almost instantly after starting a battle. I have not yet though used it on different battle sizes, just one big battle.

I havent tried using dx7 and will do it later today.

I have a steam version I cannot go back in versions I believe.

SharpXe said:
no 32bit app can use more then 2gb RAM.

check x86 CPU specifications.

You need a modified .exe for oblivion to allow it use more than 2GB of ram. Warband crashes at 1,5 not 2. I have a 64bit system.

You are running the game well beyond what Taleworlds support (Battlesize 150), so don't expect any help from them.
It is not uncommon for 32bit games to crash at 1.5GB, before the theoretical 2GB limit.

Fixes are:
1) App uses less memory, this has been achieved by Taleworlds by limiting the Battlesize to 150. Another option would be for them to look at reducing memory use further.
2) Enable large address aware on the .exe, in theory on your 64bit OS this would allow it to use up to 4GB.
3) Wait for Taleworlds to release a 64bit version. Yes please Taleworlds :smile:

Making the .exe large address aware is simple enough, but I don't know if this will cause issues, specifically with the copy-protection and Steam encryptions.
As I can't play this game further until the overdue patch, I might as well give it a try!

PS: I have nothing against homoerotica per se but 22MB for a sig is too big, no matter how much of a raging queen you are.

For me the game crashes at 1,5 GB nevertheless, though having such a massive battlesize just makes it crash earlier. Notice that the crashes usually happen when units spawn.

Where in the .exe do I add LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1?

Understanding that you do this at your own risk, etc... :smile:

You need editbin.exe, I used the one included in : http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6510
Basically you run editbin /largeaddressaware mb_warband.exe (A backup of the .exe first would be a good idea)

It is running, not had much chance to test yet.

I'll try this before I start warband the next time.

IMO, fixing this is pretty straightforward for Taleworlds so I'll hope for a fix in the next patch.

Did some testing, Battle Size 500, unlimited bodies/ragdolls, maxed everything else.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Over 2GB used at this point, it worked, but... then displayed the overview and when I closed it CPU usaged dropped and app stopped responding :neutral:
Apart from the 1.112 issue I have never actually managed to crash Warband, and I was asking for it this time :smile:
If I wasn't stuck with XP 32bit, and therefore 3.25GB RAM, who knows. Roll on next month, when I get 7 64bit...

Further testing required!

Edit: Second try 2.7GB before crash, probably about the limit for me on 32bit.

I know there were a program posted to make it LAA, but given that I use a different program, it doesn't hurt to have multiple options.

I use Explorer Suite, which is free & relatively simple to use. If you load the Mount & Blade Warband exe in that, navigate down the tree to Nt Headers, then File Header & on the right hand side there is a "Characteristics" area which has "Click here" which has another pop up, there you can just tick the option "Application can handle >2gb address space" & save it like so. I'd still recommend you backup the original exe just to be on the safe side. I haven't personally tested it LAA but other games have been fine with that option selected.

Pic
iqk22h.jpg

Thats okay. I can always verify the integrity of game cache and it will reload the original exe.

If that program helps I will post some results soon.

Edit: First I couldnt get the RAM usage past 1,5 GB no matter how hard I tried so I was forced to raise the battle size to 650. After a few battles it went over 1,5 GB without any crashes so its pretty much safe to say it works. Also I noticed less lag for some reason after enabling the application to use more than 2GB of memory.

The question is, why did the game crash at 1,5GB when the fix allowed it to use more than 2GB and then stopped crashing.

Tietovallu said:
Thats okay. I can always verify the integrity of game cache and it will reload the original exe.

If that program helps I will post some results soon.

Edit: First I couldnt get the RAM usage past 1,5 GB no matter how hard I tried so I was forced to raise the battle size to 650. After a few battles it went over 1,5 GB without any crashes so its pretty much safe to say it works. Also I noticed less lag for some reason after enabling the application to use more than 2GB of memory.

The question is, why did the game crash at 1,5GB when the fix allowed it to use more than 2GB and then stopped crashing.

Just a theory but it's possible that with the extra memory addresses available it isn't having to swap as much, all I can logically think of at the mo, but I am still just waking up.
SharpXe said:
no matter what you do with exe, 2gb memory limit is OS (and hardware) related.

Sort of contradictory unto itself. Sure the OS & hardware impose limits, but if those limits are high enough then changing the exe can yield benefits, as such the limits imposed by Windows for 32-bit user processes are 2GB when LAA is not set on both 32-bit & 64-bit Windows OS, when LAA is set then the 32-bit user process can access addresses upwards of 2GB to 4GB on 64-bit Windows OS but not on 32-bit Windows OS. Although as far as I'm aware you are required to have 4GB minimum available RAM + 64-bit OS for LAA to actually kick into effect.

For this particular problem it just seems like something else other than the bodies are left behind & is building up during battle but I wouldn't know what. The lesson here is, playing a game out of spec, similarly to running hardware out of spec, can yield undefined/unexpected results.

I have bodies and ragdolls set off, because officially the game wouldnt them with a modified huge battle size. The battle size only affected how fast the game would crash. I have never played the game more than 2-3 hours in one time so I think it would also crash at one point because of the memory leak even with 150. This could take hours though.

I noticed that turning off unlimited bodies / ragdolls freed up about 1GB in a big siege defense.
So that option is staying off!

Oh, I forgot that with the battle size of 150 I had one crash when sieging a town with unlimited bodies and ragdolls. There was too many bodies in the battlefield and it crashed because of that. I cannot remember what the ammount of RAM used was but I believe it was the same.

hey guys i myself noticed that if you turn the reinforcements off (no new enemies) it wont crush and i had huge battles maxed grafics ragdols and corpses unlimited, game at some points was awfully laggy especialy in a siege. i actually played a battle where my 250+ soldiers where against 300+ of a total 1600+ enemies. after winning the battle instead of new enemies arriving and causing the game to crash it just gave me again the battle menu with the options charge order troops to charge without you or leave battle. so it was about 300 enemies per battle and everything was fine. now i will need to do some more huge battles and play for more hours in a row to confirm but for an hour that i played more or less just doing battles it was ok.

Back
Top Bottom