MP Tutorial Scenes Making a multiplayer siege map (no bots)

Users who are viewing this thread

Annynduir

Sergeant
Ok for the setting up of python, quick scene chooser, getting into map editor etc, please read this guide first: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112508.0.html

Please also see - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113298.0.html
Important with large/odd shaped castles.

I don't cover bot management in this.

Siege has a few differences to other game modes.

Entry points:

Defenders: 0 - 31
Attackers: 32-63
Flag: 66
Siege engine 1: 110 - 119
Siege engine 2: 120 - 129
Siege engine 3: 130 - 139 (edit:noticed this in the code yesterday)
Ladders: 100-109

Placing Players

Place entry points 0-31 to place defender spawn points and 32-63 for attackers.

Placing Ladders

Place the ladder against the wall, how it would look if it was raised.  Use the props with "move" on the end.  Place an entry point at the base of the ladder facing in the direction you would like it to lie on the floor.

Placing siege towers

Siege towers can be tricky!  As with the ladders create them as how they would look on the wall they are attacking. (make sure and place the wheels facing the right way, else they'll spin backwards)
Place entry points 110-119 down for your first tower in the path you want it to follow.
Place entry points 120-129 down if you have a second tower and it will follow that path.
Place entry points 130-139 for a 3rd tower.

Siege towers and ladders will not move properly until you test the map in a playable environment!

Placing the gate

Use the portcullis prop as the gate and use winch_b as the winch.  There is a (rather rubbish) script which handles linking the 2 together, it will simply open the closest gate to it.

Placing the flag

Simply create an entry point with an id of 66 and your flag will appear there for the defenders.

Testing the map

Exit the editor and save the changes.  (The changes will be applied to the map you edited.  You may need to go and rename the file or copy, paste, rename in your module folder.)
You need to then edit, module_scenes,module_scripts and module_strings and add your map in.  If you do a search for multi_scene you'll find the relevant area for your code.  Looking at other maps should make it self explanatory.  You may need to copy in the height map code of the map you edited.  This is the 0x09808088 number that appears in module_scenes.

After you've done that, voila, start up a server, choose siege and load up your map!

How do I go from the guide in the link at the top to making my own castle for a siege map?

I see that it shows how to get quick scene chooser operating.
What does quick scene chooser do?

What is python exporting, is it the map that the QSC allows you to make?

Is there a place that I could download a module as described by the guide already made for me?

--------------------------------------------------------

Followed the guide.

I was able to "generate map", but I don't see how to build a castle or place any of the things above.

Where is the "editor"? That isn't the terrain generator is it?

On the mount and blade launcher click configure go into advanced options.  Tick the box for enable edit mode.
Go into mount and blade, use the quick scene chooser to select a map to edit.  Press ctrl + e to start edit mode.  Then press alt + enter to go into windowed mode to see the editor menus.

thanks, I'm messing with it.

edit: it seems that this map editing is more eyeballing than the trig I had to do in america's army map making.

How do I get my map to show up on the multiplayer list of siege games?

Do I have to have the flag and spawns to do it?

I was trying to test the ladders....couldn't.

There is a big bit in bold up there that says ladders and siege towers only work in a playable environment.

You need to then edit, module_scenes,module_scripts and module_strings and add your map in.  If you do a search for multi_scene  you'll find the relevant area for your code.  Looking at other maps should make it self explanatory.  You may need to copy in the height map code of the map you edited.  This is the 0x09808088 number that appears in module_scenes.

Maybe read my post fully! haha.

You will need at least 1 entry point placed to spawn in the right area of the map.  Entry point 66 is the flag.

How do I put in doors that only open from the inside?

nvm, sally doors are prescripted I see.

-----------------------------

I am trying to find a way to have the ladders spawn in position angled downward from the battlement, and then when dropped it is suppose to lay along the top of the battlement.

Any advice?

I tried placing the ladder on the battlement with the entry point pointing down from the battlement and from it pointing up from the ground to the battlement, neither worked.

if sally doors aren't big enough for you, you could maybe change the code for the scene props within the module system.

For your ladders, place your ladder as to how it would look if it was positioned angled downwards from your battlement.  Place your entry point on the top of the battlement.  Wherever the entry point is facing and whatever the elevation of the arrow is, is exactly how your ladder will appear.

I had accidentally used the ladders that didn't say move in their name.

Got it now.

Just about done with "Baja's Castle".

Thanks for the help. I'll post a link when I can.

---------------------------------------

I am having issues with the spawns now. I looked at multi scene 8, and it has 55 and 6 both in the defending area. On the map I made, I separated the entry numbers as you have posted above, but now my attackers and defenders are both spawning in my castle.

Are you sure those numbers work?

---------------

Weird, I literally changed nothing, and now the spawns are working. I don't get it.

Also, the ladders work fine for me in the tutorial mode.

Sometimes the ladders work, sometimes they don't.

The siege spawn script is an insane beast that no mortal can understand haha.  There is a thread in the forge that I put up about a bug in it and there is a fix that Beaver made in the same thread to make sure attackers spawn on attacker entry points. (this doesn't seem to work for bots.)

Well this is what I did:

siege map baja's castle inside this mod at http://www.snapdrive.net/files/21883/Bajatmercmod.zip

----------------------------------

battlements are typically 20x3  w/ bottom-center reference location
corner pieces are typically 6 diameter w/ bottom-center reference location

----------------------------------

There is a water-river object that helps to smooth seams. Also, the small_walls are worth a look too. Just discovered them. Would have made my first map easier.

I have everything working fine, entry points working fine, gate working fine etc, been scene making for a while, but this is my first siege scene.... and I cant get the siege tower to work.

I placed the siege tower with its wheels and ramp at the wall in its final position. I then placed spawn points 110-119 with 110 being where I want it to start, and 119 underneath it at the wall.

you should also know that the siege tower is not on the ground, but on a double wall making a sort of path/bridge.
what can I do?

Hello, first things first : thanks a lot for this tutorial  :grin:

Now to the funny part.
I'm doing a siege map in a desert and I get weird invisible walls when I test it. Not the map limits tough, or else it's very small. I think maybe that's because some props were placed there before (and I deleted or moved them), but it doesn't help me to address this. Anyone ever had that problem ?

Also, it seem the only winch working is the chain one. Not a big issue...

EDIT : It was the map size. Minimum size is REALLY tiny  :mrgreen:

EDIT 2 : I got a new problem, I use a siege ladder, move version, I placed it in the raised position, then placed a 100 entry point at the base. When I reload the map, the ladder spawns correctly in dropped position, but I got a red error message about it. I can raise it and drop it, but I can go on it, my guy pass trough like a ghost. It's exactly the opposite if I don't reload the map (and also if I don't place the entry point). Can someone help me about this ?

Also, it seem the only winch working is the chain one. Not a big issue...
If you want the rope one for a mod you can edit the module_scene_props file. Of course if your making native maps it doesn't do you any good.

To edit for mod, find this code in the module_scene_props:
("winch",sokf_moveable,"winch","bo_winch", []),

("winch_b",sokf_moveable|spr_use_time(5),"winch_b","bo_winch", [
  (ti_on_scene_prop_use,
To replace the chain with rope simply switch the prop names (note: they both use the bo_winch bounding box so don't change it):
("winch_b",sokf_moveable,"winch_b","bo_winch", []),

("winch",sokf_moveable|spr_use_time(5),"winch","bo_winch", [
If you wanted both types of winches just copy all the guts out of the current scripted one and plop it under "("winch",sokf_moveable,"winch","bo_winch", []),"

Just lost 12 hours of work... you really should tell people not to name there map scene 23.  I did not see it was in use by another map and my entire scene was wiped during compiling.

GetAssista said:
Knight of the Rose said:
Just lost 12 hours of work... you really should tell people not to name there map scene 23.
sco files themselves are not rewritten during compiling. Only links on them can be

Is there a way to recover it? How do I access the old file?  When I renamed the scene back to what it was I still get the blank scene template.

Back
Top Bottom