LeMat Carbine

Users who are viewing this thread

Nocturno

Squire
I swear this time is true !  :roll:

Among other sources came this from Dr. John Murphy's "Confederate Carbines & Musketoons."

Apparently tested (and used ) by CS army, serial numbers ran from 1 up to 200-something, mostly percussion,
and later on Union hands, converted to pinfire. This has been debated many times.
On some 1863 Richmond Arsenal invoice notes “2 packages of cartridges for … carbines.” An additional note says “… LeMats carbine.”

lematrifleright17.jpg

Some 17 or 18 surviving today, prices go up up up.
Same features than before, a .42  9-shot cylinder with the central 18 gauge smooth barrel, and
a ramrod in between, to the right.

promo105.jpg

56582.jpg

Typical upper barrels being 19 11/16" and the lower 19 1/2", there were some versions with bayonet,
at least on the pinfire versions, and, for instance, the serial number #73, had a .44 caliber rifled upper barrel with ten-shot cylinder and a rifled, single-shot .50 caliber lower barrel.

Some pics from # 73 here:

Note the folding leaf rear sight.

H3925-L06942459.jpg

H3925-L06942490.jpg

H3925-L06942492.jpg

H3925-L06942479.jpg

Other examples on the carbines would be

* Serial number 7 , has a 18 3/4" 44 caliber pinfire rifled upper barrel and 56 caliber rifled percussion lower barrel. The rear sight is a folding two leaf with graduations from 100 to 500 meters.
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/scarce-lemat-pinfire-carbine-serial-number-7-with-9-p-a4f5fd3414

* The #114 got 45 cal./20 ga. 23" barrels. Both the rifle and shotgun were for center fire cartridges.

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/rare-lemat-type-carbine.-sn-61-p-9vyzmuq78l

* The serial number 152 had a  part octagon 23 1/4" 11mm rifled upper barrel and 20 gauge lower shotgun barrel. Rear sight is a folding two leaf with graduations from 100 to 400 meters.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/rare-and-unique-lemat-cartridge-carbine-38-u-b5d1d6a610

* The 206 , a pinfire/percussion LeMat carbine with a 19 3/4" octagon to round 11mm rifled upper barrel and 18 3/4" round 58 caliber rifled lower barrel.

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/rare-lemat-pinfire-and-percussion-carbine-11-p-f630b74c80

-----​

Finally, some guys went to workshop and came out with this one, modified from a modern Pietta revolver replica, not bad, huh?

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Cheers

p.s.: needless to say, I wanna see this one on the moood, pleeeezz  :mrgreen:

Most welcome  :mrgreen:

Notice also the difference in the trigger guard, between the original ones and the workshop project.
The workshop model still remains with the revolver trigger guard, which is the place for the middle finger
(yes, the one you use for so many things  :roll:). Original carbines had the flat, horizontal one,
which allows to do the function of forend. A bit uncomf'y to shoot i guess, but well that kept
your hand outta the front cylinder, and outta the blast inbetween the barrel and cylinder.
Sometimes, you know, front chambers werent well waxed (sealed) and BBB :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: MMMM
And if good luck wasn't with you that day, both ends of a gun will suffer almost the same damage  :lol:
if not, the scare of your life and laugh for buddies around :razz:

i just have to say... the gun on the white background makes it look AMAZING! It makes me really want to shoot it.

wow!hi guys new here! that was wild to run into my project on your site! im the builder of the lemat carbines(plural) the first one (pictured) is a
copy of the very earliest drawings and patent apps that showed the trigger gaurd as on the navy revolver ( and there is one orig with this
on it ) 
my second one is of the standerd configuration with bulged forward trigger gaurd for an off hand rest to prevent powder burns
i am unable to add a picture (let me know how or volunteer to post for me and ill pass on more resent pics

ther is a telling antique photo i have seen of a shooter trading a colt revolving rifle for a spencer and the guys hand is all wrapped after having a chain fire in the colt "OUCH!!!"
but  if you follow protocall its as safe as any other gun , seal each chamber carfully on top of bullet and never put your hand forward of the cylinder

snidervolley said:
ther is a telling antique photo i have seen of a shooter trading a colt revolving rifle for a spencer and the guys hand is all wrapped after having a chain fire in the colt "OUCH!!!"
but  if you follow protocall its as safe as any other gun , seal each chamber carfully on top of bullet and never put your hand forward of the cylinder

Not being able to place a hand in front of the chamber safely would seem to negate most the aiming advantage of a long gun IMO.

By the why, what does sealing a chamber mean? (excuse my ignorance)

sealing the chamber would be putting a wad on top of powder bullet in then greasing over the bullet to top of chamber .
if done right will seal it effectivly against chain fire
the hand on the trigger gaurd does not effect acuuracy that much as the gun is so light at forward end, i wouldnt argue that its not better and more natural but after a few rounds no big deal

here is a copy of a early (earliest known ) lemat carbine with the spur trigger just as i had designed mine after in patent dwgs

.damonmills.com/images/PS%2038/LeMat%20Carbine%203200.htm

sarted a big debate on the lemats carbines use in civil war on the nssa site (there are reciepts from armouries for ammo labeled le mat carnines and confederate recieval inspectors stamps on the guns and every book on confederate arms lists the carbine in the ranks?hmm.

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/10-buidling-two-lemat-carbines

IMG_2471_zps99800f3b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom