Tutorial Video - Covers all basics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reapy

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Video Tutorial

I put a lot more work into editing this thing, even then I'm not 100% in everything or the words I use, but I hope this video will clear up and demonstrate all the fundamentals of 1 on 1 infantry mechanics. It is pretty basic, but it has some proofs of concept in there and a little fun surprise at the end if you stick with it.

Don't mind the overly final fantasy tactic's homage going on here either :smile:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you Exhibit A. 

(Eight minutes and forty-one seconds pass)

The case of Noobs v Warband "Exploits" has been dismissed.

Very nice work, I'll be watching it again later and try to add those moves to my repertoire. :smile:

I was wondering what combat speed setting you two do your duels/videos on and exactly how that affects the game. I can't find something that specifically says what exactly the combat speed setting does.

Also, when you showed the manual blocking allowing you to strike back at an extreme angle, you didn't do the same for the shield. I noticed that after the shield blocks, you walked toward the direction he was swinging instead of moving to the extreme angle and turning to hit early.

Yes, I know you showed that hitting instantly doesn't work, but you also showed that it only really is a few inches before it starts to do damage. I'd like to see the results if you tried to outspam the shield properly as someone would do it in game, and not walked into the swings of your opponent :smile:

Part of what I am thinking though is that it might have been a "fastest" combat speed server in which I saw and was able to duplicate the shield spam problem. At least, going back to that server now, I noticed that it was set to fastest.

It is on medium and I had some straight shield spam examples where it panned out.  I can't cover all angles though and you can test out in game what you need to see.  I figured that having the fastest sickle there vs warhammer would sum up the axiom there.

Swing speed just increases the velocity of the weapon. You can swap it out in your single player and swing your weapon to see the difference. I'm not sure if it increases damage or anything, but I'm pretty sure its just sort of how fast the weapon's travel.

Superb video, and very helpful to someone like me who struggles with blocking with anything other than a shield. Going to stick this on my favorites page, and review it periodically. :wink:

Aranarth said:
I was wondering what combat speed setting you two do your duels/videos on and exactly how that affects the game. I can't find something that specifically says what exactly the combat speed setting does.

Also, when you showed the manual blocking allowing you to strike back at an extreme angle, you didn't do the same for the shield. I noticed that after the shield blocks, you walked toward the direction he was swinging instead of moving to the extreme angle and turning to hit early.

Yes, I know you showed that hitting instantly doesn't work, but you also showed that it only really is a few inches before it starts to do damage. I'd like to see the results if you tried to outspam the shield properly as someone would do it in game, and not walked into the swings of your opponent :smile:

Part of what I am thinking though is that it might have been a "fastest" combat speed server in which I saw and was able to duplicate the shield spam problem. At least, going back to that server now, I noticed that it was set to fastest.

While doing the test with the shield, I tried to adjust my character so that Reapy was right in front of me. Reapy tried to move his character so that he can position his weapon closer to me to try to spam me. If you want, we can do the test. I'll use a shield and let you spam me the "proper way" to see if I can retaliate against it.

TBH, I was surprised about the sweetspot test. Even with the long greataxe(with very high slashing damage) that can cut through flesh easily, it still whiffed off of an unarmored opponent. There were 3 early stages to the sweetspot.
1. when weapon was positioned on or very near the opponent it whiffed doing no damage.
2. causes a ministun with damage severely reduced
3. severe damage reduction but does a bit more damage (takes 6-7 hits to kill an unarmored opponent with greataxe)

I've also observed that the sweetspot is based on the time elapsed between the moment you release your swing and the moment of impact. You can spin spam or position yourself all you want to reduce the time of impact, but it simply won't do full damage until you've given enough time. Although I could be wrong about this so someone can prove me wrong.

neih said:
While doing the test with the shield, I tried to adjust my character so that Reapy was right in front of me. Reapy tried to move his character so that he can position his weapon closer to me to try to spam me. If you want, we can do the test. I'll use a shield and let you spam me the "proper way" to see if I can retaliate against it.

Well, apparently when I saw this I was on a server that I did not realize was set to "fastest" combat. If it really speeds up a swing and/or the swing rate, this could possibly have been the cause. It was the siege Medieval Mahem server, and at the time I did not note the speed settings or realize they could be the cause.

Here is what I saw when I watched your video:

You both demonstrated how it works against manual blocking from a normal position, then you showed us an extreme angle where the blocker had a greater distance to cover.

Then, when you do the shield you start from normally facing eachother, and you can see Reapy sliding slowly to the left as he swings from the right. This means instead of the extreme angle that would make it take as long as possible to swing back, he's actually sliding into your swing to make it easier. Those are the only swings that you showed us.

I was disappointed that all you showed for the shield was purposely walking toward the attacks.

Now, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it would probably be common sense to avoid intentionally walking into your opponent's swings, but rather you could walk away from them. Now, the most extreme angle possible might not be what you'd really see, but the idea being to mouse turn and hit with the end of your weapon as you walk away from, not into his attacks. Or much more simply, do the extreme angle and show us if it's even possible.

Unrelated to any of that, I wanted to say that I enjoyed the chamber blocking part of your video. I am just starting to practice that myself now that I feel I have a decent grasp on manual blocking.

I was wondering how you'd suggest practicing chamber blocking and what type of gear you'd use to do it. I tried it out in the tutorial in a sparring match with the fighter bots. It seemed easy there, but that doesn't translate at all to MP. The weapon selection is too limited and the bots always swing just as soon as they chamber, while a player may hold his swing and release it later.

It may just have been the fact that my weapons in MP were larger/slower than the sword you use in the tutorial, but I think it actually hurt my timing to practice that way.

Great video, I didn't care for the other one that was actually during a deathmatch game, but this one seems very informative

AaronJBC said:
Great video, I didn't care for the other one that was actually during a deathmatch game, but this one seems very informative
That one was simply to point out beginner's mistakes regarding melee combat, the game mode was irrelevant.

Awesome. Didn't know about the stun for blocking a heavier weapon with a lighter one before... Does that mean you could simply swing twice vs someone using a light weapon and he won't be able to slash you after the first parry?

Also what weapons count as light? All one handers?

Back
Top Bottom