The new morning star

Users who are viewing this thread

I have to agree with shrinking the 20 pound lump of iron head and increasing spike, base width will improve it a great deal.  Currently I'd almost classify it a WoW weapon, and no, I don't like WoW art.

Orion said:
Dig the middle one there, LL.

They just need to shrink the ball and maybe make the spikes a little thicker at the base. Plus, it will look weird regardless of where you put it on your person - it isn't meant to be "sheathed" in any way. It's too awkward-shaped for that.

The "spikes"?
You mean those prickly things?

Kotyonok said:
Orion said:
Dig the middle one there, LL.

They just need to shrink the ball and maybe make the spikes a little thicker at the base. Plus, it will look weird regardless of where you put it on your person - it isn't meant to be "sheathed" in any way. It's too awkward-shaped for that.

The "spikes"?
You mean those prickly things?

Yes, I do believe those, sharp, pointy things.  Bascially the parts that would cause your mother to have a fit if you ran with it or swung it at your friends.

I like the new model better, it looks cool, realism be damned.

My problem is with the new stats, it's near-useless.  Before, it was a passable 1-h (especially cavalry) weapon.  Now, it's outclassed by another weapon in any role you might think of.

1-handed?  Nope, military pick is way, way better.
2-handed?  The range is too low, combined with the crappy parrying from the "unbalanced" mod, and it's too slow.  Never mind that lots of 2handers both out-range and out-damage it, desipite the benefits piercing confers.

The only plausible reason is to use it vs heavily armored targets (ie swadian knights), but again, given its low speed, a heavy/balanced military pick will most likely outdamage it over time, and keep you safer.

The "crushes through blocks" happens way too rarely, and in addition, since the AI is so predictable with its attack timing, if it's blocking your attack, it's because you messed up.

Oh well.

L00ter said:
cool :smile:

maybe someday we can make one with an animated ball and chain that would be suh..weet!

That would be so cool...

I've never played a game that actually had an animated flail in it. Has anyone?

I guess no developers want to spend the time making unique animations for just one weapon.

darkweaver said:
I like the new model better, it looks cool, realism be damned.

My problem is with the new stats, it's near-useless.  Before, it was a passable 1-h (especially cavalry) weapon.  Now, it's outclassed by another weapon in any role you might think of.

1-handed?  Nope, military pick is way, way better.
2-handed?  The range is too low, combined with the crappy parrying from the "unbalanced" mod, and it's too slow.  Never mind that lots of 2handers both out-range and out-damage it, desipite the benefits piercing confers.

The only plausible reason is to use it vs heavily armored targets (ie swadian knights), but again, given its low speed, a heavy/balanced military pick will most likely outdamage it over time, and keep you safer.

The "crushes through blocks" happens way too rarely, and in addition, since the AI is so predictable with its attack timing, if it's blocking your attack, it's because you messed up.

Oh well.

I am away from the game for a while, does that new model appeaar in multiplayer as well? If so it looks like a big rhodock nerf. Loved Morningstar before as the rhodock bastard hammer, and could load out with a star, shield and pike (star and stripes if you choose a good emblem) and be prepared for everything. Now I guess it is back to hammer, sickle and pike and shield, ie the (Communism loadout). Goodbye star, I will miss you.

I liked the old one, but only because I killed a lot of people with it.

Is it too difficult to hang the ball from a chain? Hold the mouse button to start a spin, throw in a swing animation, smash someone in the head? Could be a great cavalry weapon.

I liked the old model, actually.

I personally feel like it would have been a much better solution to just touch up the old model and texture, and adjust the length stats accordingly, instead of giving us this oversized, unswingable giant spiky prison ball on a pole.

Elric_de_Melnibone said:
I liked the old model, actually.

I personally feel like it would have been a much better solution to just touch up the old model and texture, and adjust the length stats accordingly, instead of giving us this oversized, unswingable giant spiky prison ball on a pole.

I like how you say that like it wasn't one of those before. I still think the morningstar should use Talak's model, it's already the approximate length, it looks good and is realistic.

It wasn't.

Of course the ball was bigger than the ones that were actually used, but it was still alot smaller than the new ball.
Additionally, it was a reasonable weapon, even with the large ball, due to it's size.
The old morningstar was rather short (I'm talking about looks, not data), it looked wieldable.

But what we have now... ugh.

Of course Talak's model is superior to both.

Ferago said:
L00ter said:
cool :smile:

maybe someday we can make one with an animated ball and chain that would be suh..weet!

That would be so cool...

I've never played a game that actually had an animated flail in it. Has anyone?

I guess no developers want to spend the time making unique animations for just one weapon.

Temple of Elemental Evil had one.

The really cool thing was they had a ball and chain too. As in, the player holds onto this huge ass chain and whips the ball at the enemy at medium range before dragging the ball back :razz:

Back
Top Bottom