B Tutorial 2D Texturing

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry i have a problem: when i select a part of the model and "paste it" in the map, i move to another one and so on. Ok, but when i get back there's nothing in the previous map. Nothing showing and seems to be redone. Same way all the pieces.
Here the steps:

Moreover (i'm doing this with a helmet) i always have a error saying that closed surfaces can't be mapped when i try to map the cheek pads who have cylinders on top.

I don't know if are the cylinders or not but it's now two weeks i'm in front of this UV mapping windows and i'm going mad.
A helping hand is desperately needed to evade any alterations of personality and augmented aggressive behaviour....

@caprera: Probably your first problem is that you are trying to do the UVmapping piecmeal. Dunno what this tutorial says on how to do it (I skipped that part), but try this method:

-Select your 'object'
-Right click, and choose the 'UVmapping' option (the bottom, I think) and Either [a]left click if it is a model that is completely new(never been UVmapped) or {b]press the RMB(right mouse button).

Either choice will bring up a new window, where you 'cut' out the faces to be laid on a flat texture. You have a couple of options here; you can either break up the faces into different colored segments(It becomes quite apparant how to do this), or the quicker method of just selecting certain edges and [right clicking--->mark edges for cut] You do understand the basic concept of uvmapping, hopefully. Two other great tutorials are the video ones by Highelf and Yosiboy. I just kinda glanced at them and dicked around in Wings for a while to figure it out on my own, so I am by no means an expert on this stuff. But, so far my stuff has worked. :razz:

Hopefully that gives you enough info to figure out the rest on your own :grin:

Oh,and as far as closed surfaces are concerned, Im fairly sure that means you didn't make a cut in a certain area, and Wings is so frigggin confused it spits out that error. Just check your mapping be [right click]--->[Uvmapping+middle mouse button]

Edit: also, check for faces in-between the top of the cheek guard and the helmet. Just right click--->Hide so they don't trouble you any more. Rember to rotate the helmet properly. I just exported the male_head mesh from vanilla and import it to get my helmets the correct size and proportions. Also, make sure you make all faces trianglated. Easy way to do that is select your faces, [right click]--->Tesselate--->Triangulate......

Triangulation shouldn't be made just before porting to BRF ? It gives me many more faces to care about....

Also i don't get the coseld surfaces issue because those are simple cylinders, there are no faces in between.

Btw i tried again with simpler models and it worked. I made our new cavalry shoes texture with no problems at all and a sword, cavalry as well, that came out with out the back of the blade but not bad. I don't understand why sometimes i don't see the rear part covered.

Also in the Video tutorial about helmets it was shown that half of the helmet should be "hidden" but when i click "mirror" at the end the result is Wings freezing....

The one part about only mapping half the helmet I never quite got. Then again, I never finished watching it. I just map parts the share the same texture to the same place in the UVmap (rotated and adjusted as needed so they line up). Try that and you should have more success....

CounterPoint391 said:
I usually just put those pieces that share a texture in the same space on the UV map. just Center teh pieces and move both to whatever spot you want....

err...How?

Do I have to reUV map the other side?

Edit: Also would you mind uploading your tutorial sword? I made a sword but its waaaaay too complicated for me to texture. Once I get the hang of it with more simple models I try harder models.

Texture a rectangle...... Anyway, cut your pieces out and when you get to the UVmapping window with the alphabet texture, any pieces that share a texture need to be selected--->Move to--->Center and rotated/flipped so they line up....

You can map to an existing texture by cutting the pieces like usual, then go to the UVmapping window and just leave the pieces like they are in default--->Right Click+ Create Texture. Make sure the size is the same as the one you'll be using. Go to Windows--->Outlier, then nename your object, material, and texture. On the texture, Click make external---->Save as the file you want to work with in Photoshop (I use PNG, no idea why), and save it with the same name as the texture you want to use (it won't overwrite the .dds file). Open up the texture you want to use, then save it as a PNG, for example. It will overwrite the texture you generated in wings, which is ok. In wings, on the texture select--->Refresh. Your model will gain a messes up texture; don't freak out. Select your object--->(Left click)UVmapping. Move around and resize your pieces to use the parts of the texture you want it to.... The rest should be easy to figure out... :grin:

Thanks but i meant overlaying the selections not the sheets. for example today before making the usual mess i put one side of the spearhead of a model over the other side on the texture. I was wondering if it works as logic would say. With selections overlaid you paint two faces at once.

Sorry for this late-ass post. (Sorry for digging it up again)

But I used this method (it works nearly perfect but..), but there is only one side textured, and I'm not sure what to do with the other side, does someone know what I should do? Thanks in advance! :smile:

How do i add another texture to the outline box, i'm trying to texture a BAR and it keeps giving the barrel a wood texture(i recently textured the stock) but i want to add a metal texture.

Back
Top Bottom