• grappling

Votes: 62 28.7%
  • animations

Votes: 124 57.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

ares007

Master Knight
I participated in a large portion of the beta testing for Warband. I was very encouraged that the developers took some measures to improve Mount and Blade's [melee] combat system. Chamber blocks, kicks, block crushing, and stun were all introduced to make a more interesting fighting system. However, while being more fun and interesting, Warband combat still suffers from some serious issues. To anyone first playing Warband, the combat system will seem unnatural and generally not very realistic, and will be subsequently much harder to grow accustomed to. This is because there are some fundamental things that need to be fixed. Unfortunately, however undeniably great developers Taleworlds are, they have seemed to neglect these fundamental issues that others (such as Berserker Pride) and I have been pointing out for a long time.

Now, I don't have the fixes, but I at the very least would like to try to get the issues fixed. I'm not a great experienced modder; nor am I a great coder. However, I have a vision of what Warband could be in terms of melee combat. I will try to learn what I can and do what I can, but it is almost undeniable that I will need help. I honestly do not care much for bragging rights and such, I just want to see Warband living up to its potential.

goals:
-rebalancing weapons
-new animations that are more natural/realistic/historically-valid that also aim to improve gameplay (and reduce lolspinning)
-new weapon features/abilities (for example half-swording)
-and more

Pictures and stuff to come

Half-swording:
"Know and note that not one thing on the sword is without its use or reason" - Hanko Dobringer (from 1389 fechbuch)

Progress Report
Animations: beginning stages. Currently collaborating with Papa_Lazarou to obtain his unfinished animations.
Sweet Spots: Have successfully implemented my own sweet spot mechanic, but it needs much refinement.
1-time Counters: Currently in the theoretical stage, but I'm pretty sure I will be able to pull it off
Takedowns: same as 1-time counters
Disarms: theoretical stage. Not so sure about this one
Weapon Lengths: Looks like Taleworlds has been taking care of this one finally :grin:
Balancing Weapon Stats: Brainstorming stage. There is also the possibility of collaborating with Ron Losey (hope I spelled that right :grin: ). I'm not totally sure yet.
half-swording: implemented, but needs refinement
hitting around shields: currently working on a mechanic to make it easier to hit around shields.

Sounds Great if you and some other could do it!

I played Mount & Blade extensively and loved it, but when I got Warband the animations seemed....somehow like they were in slowmow and I couldn't hit anything from horseback any more!

I'd like to help, but, I have no modding experience in Mount & Blade and my modding experience in other games is limited to a tiny amount of scripting and retexturing!

But if there is anything I might be able to do, let me know and I'll have a crack at it.

Hope you succeed with the mod, Monkey's_Uncle

Another goal of this mod could be closing gaps in the equipment selection
of the factions. For example Swadian Infantry needs a tuned down military hammer
row, so they have an 1hand option against armor. I'm gonna post a list  with
additional items I'd like to be added in the near future.

If you'd like a more realistic system, the RCM (Realistic Combat Model) is planned for Warband. Definitely agree that the combat system doesn't really feel natural... You can swing a 20-pound hammer similarly to a one-handed sword.

I don't really mind the combat animations, but better, more realistic ones, if they exist and work, sound very worth-while.

Seems there are a few requests for half-swording (including form myself), and it'd make sense with the new weapon-mod feature. Be fun to see, though I don't know what uses would be best for it (smashing people with the hand-guard for blunt damage would be more effective against Armour).

Good luck to you. Not sure what improvements are left to be scrounged out, but I'm sure you'll manage something :smile:.

Well, the Realistic Combat Model is primarily just stat tweaks. This aims to be more (and I dare say that I'm not entirely sure I agree with every change in the Realistic Combat Model).

One thing the animations will do is combat the infamous "lolspin". In other words, the sideways swings will not be a huge street-cleaner sweep. It will be focused toward the front at the enemy in front. This will make it harder to turn into the swing and get near instant attacks, cause the slower speed of the axes/hammers to be more of a factor, and also make it harder to kill teammates with melee friendly fire.

In addition, new polearm animations will give the 2-handed polearms the reach that they deserve and will also look more natural.

Half-swording will be implemented (and already is :grin: though I've still got polishing and balancing to do). It will have a very powerful piercing thrust to simulate the added point control and thrusting power (hand on blade means a more rigid blade that transfers force into the target more effectively). I also hope to add in somewhat lower powered blunt swinging strikes with a chance for knock down to simulate the leveraging half-sword throws.

@Urist: I gladly welcome any input and suggestions (especially from you :razz: )

Conners said:
You can swing a 20-pound hammer similarly to a one-handed sword.

No, you can't. Hammers have been nerfed to oblivion some time ago.
They are now:
a) very, very slow
b) heavily unbalanced
and they
c) give a very big movement penalty
d) have the shortest reach of all 2handers

Another topic: I suggest to slightly increase the duriation of the kick animation
to give the kickee the chance the block the kickslash. Unless the majority is against it.

Hello there, great to see this thread.

For me, the most important aspect that is lacking in discussion and not properly addressed is the AI aspect of the game. There's an abundance of mods out there that deals with graphics, new troops, new items, but so very few of them actually addressed the AI especially the Battle AI.

I can do away with not up to date graphic/model, but not the core game mechanic.

Hope to see more AI enhancement discoveries/code snippets from the many of our greatest modders out there. Find a viable way to make the AI at least put up a challenge instead of making things harder for the player (wages etc), which can be overcome easily given some time. But better AI adaptibility means thing would be as bit as challenging as when you start out to when you have a larger armies.

The formrank kit and some mods have already implement some AI enhancing code,  I guess it's a good place to start experimenting with coding and scripting AIs.

Kudos to all of the modders :smile: !!

ares007 said:
Well, the Realistic Combat Model is primarily just stat tweaks. This aims to be more (and I dare say that I'm not entirely sure I agree with every change in the Realistic Combat Model).

One thing the animations will do is combat the infamous "lolspin". In other words, the sideways swings will not be a huge street-cleaner sweep. It will be focused toward the front at the enemy in front. This will make it harder to turn into the swing and get near instant attacks, cause the slower speed of the axes/hammers to be more of a factor, and also make it harder to kill teammates with melee friendly fire.

In addition, new polearm animations will give the 2-handed polearms the reach that they deserve and will also look more natural.

Half-swording will be implemented (and already is :grin: though I've still got polishing and balancing to do). It will have a very powerful piercing thrust to simulate the added point control and thrusting power (hand on blade means a more rigid blade that transfers force into the target more effectively). I also hope to add in somewhat lower powered blunt swinging strikes with a chance for knock down to simulate the leveraging half-sword throws.
You plan to re-code the game in your quest for better combat :shock:? That's awesome, if so. Still, Ron is an expert on the subject of realistic combat. He'd be a handy aid for your project. His bleeding script is a nice optional pack, for example.
I can contact Ron for you, if you like.

Theoretically, someone could do a huge-street-cleaner sweep. Get what you mean, though, that it's WAY exaggerated. One benefit with the huge swings, is the fact you can be standing almost side-to-side with your opponent, dragging your blade across their stomach as you move away (as far as I'm aware, this is a legitimate move)--you could always have smaller swings and larger swings, by holding down the attack button longer?
The huge weapons would still be made a bit slower?

Well, if you want the pole-arms to have reach, it's mostly a matter of modelling ones of those 20-foot-halberds that were used. The current animations seemed fine to me, but I haven't studied combat martial arts too closely. Improvements are welcome.

Damage would be piercing, I agree, but I'd say it'd be less than the normal thrusts' damage. Since you're putting less metal in the other guy. It'd still do more damage to people wearing armour, of course--but generally you're better off with the blunt-swing, against heavy armour. Unless, somehow, you could get your sword up a very obvious weak-point in the armour :eek:.

Thanks for explaining more :smile:! Good to talk with someone who is trying hard to improve Warband.

Urist said:
No, you can't. Hammers have been nerfed to oblivion some time ago.
They are now:
a) very, very slow
b) heavily unbalanced
and they
c) give a very big movement penalty
d) have the shortest reach of all 2handers

Another topic: I suggest to slightly increase the duriation of the kick animation
to give the kickee the chance the block the kickslash. Unless the majority is against it.
Maces don't count? I was number one on the deathmatch server by ten kills with my two-handed mace (and most of these fights were face-to-face encounters, not sneak attacks). It seemed just as unusually fine and quick as before, to me.
Maybe I'll try hammers, to see how they are. They might be too slow now ,for all I know (they'll certainly SEEM too slow, considering the giant axes alter your view of how fast they should be).

I can often block after being kicked, mostly because I'm lucky. If you don't time the kick-slash right, it doesn't swing. I believe it is OK as is. Mostly a matter of not getting kicked, or kicking first, as far as I've seen.

morviuz said:

For me, the most important aspect that is lacking in discussion and not properly addressed is the AI aspect of the game. There's an abundance of mods out there that deals with graphics, new troops, new items, but so very few of them actually addressed the AI especially the Battle AI.

I can do away with not up to date graphic/model, but not the core game mechanic.

Hope to see more AI enhancement discoveries/code snippets from the many of our greatest modders out there. Find a viable way to make the AI at least put up a challenge instead of making things harder for the player (wages etc), which can be overcome easily given some time. But better AI adaptibility means thing would be as bit as challenging as when you start out to when you have a larger armies.

The formrank kit and some mods have already implement some AI enhancing code,  I guess it's a good place to start experimenting with coding and scripting AIs.

As far as large battles where it's hard to tell what is going on goes, the AI seems fine at the highest setting. You don't want Swadian recruits outfighting you, also xD. Still, I do agree, that if it didn't cause extra stress on the engine and make things stuttery/laggy, I'd like improved AI. It'd also be good to have different levels of AI, so that swadian recruits can hardly fight, but Nord Hurscarls are a proper challenge AI-wise. Lords and Kings could vary in skill, and companions could gradually get more skilled as you A) Put points into their "AI" skill, or B) Level them up.

Formations do show that some AI improvements are quite doable, as you say. Would be good to see easy use of Formations for both players and Computers with improved AI, in more mods.

Kudos to you also, for coming up with this interesting suggestion.

I must say that I prefer Warband's animations over the originals'. What I don't like is that the animations of both these games ignore weight al-together. I wonder, is there such thing as animation speed? I'd imagine there is. Slowing it down for heavier weapons might improve things. I say might, because realism versus gameplay is always a factor overlooked at first.

Second thing is, that I think Taleworlds decided to make warband too complex. Complexer than their engine can hold somehow. Or they lost track of everything they added. For as you said, something doesn't feel right. Animations are great but seem to respond weird at times, or feel chubby. And while the horse(back) animations are better and will not cause the rider's wrist to break when hitting something (like in original) in Warband I never seem to hit any at all. xD

I still enjoy the game a lot, but I understand what you mean. ;P
Servitor

There is an animation sequence's duration for each of actor animation. Like

["release_overswing_twohanded", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_continue_to_next,
  [0.61, "attacks_twohanded_overswing", 26, 55, blend_in_release],]

Those blue is the animation duration. for overswing there's the ready animation (where you bring your 2h weapon up), release (where you swing it from up to down), and continue (where you bring you weapon back to it's default position).

Conners said:
You plan to re-code the game in your quest for better combat :shock:? That's awesome, if so. Still, Ron is an expert on the subject of realistic combat. He'd be a handy aid for your project. His bleeding script is a nice optional pack, for example.
I can contact Ron for you, if you like.
eh... I don't know about re-coding :razz:

I've actually discussed things with Ron before on the other forum (whatever it is) and I must admit that concerning some matters, he is not an expert. For the most part, yes, he generally knows what he's talking about and is generally quite a nice guy to talk to. On the other hand, he seems to be more knowledgeable about Asian Swordsmanship rather than European. Although the fundamentals are generally all the same, there are some significant differences that he doesn't seem to appreciate (and you can only appreciate if you study the art as the Medieval/Renaissance Masters taught with the realization of what context in which the art was employed). That is why I'm somewhat skeptical about certain things he says/advocates.

For example, he seems fundamentally apposed to the idea of halfswording with a longsword (or other "sharp" swords). He seems so familiar with the heavily over-sharpened Katana that he thinks all swords were light-sabers and could never be held with a hand. The European sword, however, was designed to last a life-time or more. It was sharpened to an "apple-seed" edge that would preserve the edge for much longer (in other words, the edge was convex rather than concave like a knife). This means that when the edge was intentionally drawn across or forcefully applied to a target, then it would inflict injuries. However, as long as the blade is not sliding across something, it is not cutting. There is more that I could say to further support my point, but that is enough for now.

That being said, he is definitely more knowledgeable than most people I've confronted here on these forums, and he seems to be a sensible person in general. I would be glad for any help he could give. That bleeding script sounds interesting too.

Conners said:
Theoretically, someone could do a huge-street-cleaner sweep. Get what you mean, though, that it's WAY exaggerated. One benefit with the huge swings, is the fact you can be standing almost side-to-side with your opponent, dragging your blade across their stomach as you move away (as far as I'm aware, this is a legitimate move)--you could always have smaller swings and larger swings, by holding down the attack button longer?
The huge weapons would still be made a bit slower?
In the crowded chaos of close-quarters combat, you generally don't want big sweeping cuts. These kinds of cuts have the tendency to catch on environmental obstacles, hack into your brother-in-arms, and etc. Hanko Dobringer in his 1389 fechtbuch, tells us to always take the shortest route to the opponent and do not do wide ungainly strikes as the "play masters" do. There may be an application of a wide "street-cleaner" strike, but it's not very often. The animations I aim to put in will still have range and power, but the stroke will be diagonal and focused to the front. Whether we make the huge weapons slower or not depends on how animations affect balance. Right now, the huge 2-handed axes seem faster than they are because people utilize the "lolspin" technique. The animations will aim to make that much less of a problem. Also, I will be removing the ability to wield the long-axe family of weapons as pure 2-handed weapons. They will be polearm only.

Conners said:
Well, if you want the pole-arms to have reach, it's mostly a matter of modelling ones of those 20-foot-halberds that were used. The current animations seemed fine to me, but I haven't studied combat martial arts too closely. Improvements are welcome.
I plan on having the player hold the polearms further down the haft so that they gain more range. Also, the animations will be more realistic/historically-accurate. Polearms will also be balanced in other ways.

Conners said:
Damage would be piercing, I agree, but I'd say it'd be less than the normal thrusts' damage. Since you're putting less metal in the other guy. It'd still do more damage to people wearing armour, of course--but generally you're better off with the blunt-swing, against heavy armour. Unless, somehow, you could get your sword up a very obvious weak-point in the armour :eek:.
All you need is 5 inches into someone to kill them. In half-swording, you've still got about a foot of blade to pierce the body. That is enough to inflict sever injury. What is most important in dealing damage with a thrust is the placement of the thrust (in a vulnerable/lethal area or not) and whether or not the thrust is strong enough to get through whatever might be in the way. Half-swording has advantages in both of these areas.

Actually, against very good armor, half-swording is generally preferable to normal cuts because normal blunt cuts don't do **** to very good armor. Against plate armor, a normal cut would more likely damage the edge of the sword than anything else. With a gauntlet/vambrace, a knight could actually block a sword blow with his forearm. Now with mail, a normal cut will deal damage to someone, but halfsword will still apply the power needed to deal a more deeply penetrating thrust. So unless you're fighting someone with plate armor or partial plate, then half-swording and standard hand position are not really better than each other but rather more effective in different positions.

Another important application of half-swording is the leveraging ability. Even without armor, in a close situation, half-swording could be effectively employed to take someone down. So that's another thing I want to do with it. I want the swings to have an ok chance of knocking someone down to simulate this.

Conners said:
Thanks for explaining more :smile:! Good to talk with someone who is trying hard to improve Warband.
Thanks. I hope I don't sound too much like a arrogant bastard :razz:

morviuz said:

Better AI would definitely make for a better more realistic game. I'll definitely consider it. But it is not a top priority as of now. Right now, my top priority is animations.

Servitor said:
Second thing is, that I think Taleworlds decided to make warband too complex. Complexer than their engine can hold somehow. Or they lost track of everything they added. For as you said, something doesn't feel right. Animations are great but seem to respond weird at times, or feel chubby. And while the horse(back) animations are better and will not cause the rider's wrist to break when hitting something (like in original) in Warband I never seem to hit any at all. xD

I still enjoy the game a lot, but I understand what you mean. ;P
Servitor
I don't think that it's too complex. I think that the problem is some other fundamental problems either got neglected or added. For example: lolspinning makes huge axes seem unnaturally fast. When a pike point is 2 meters behind you, it can still somehow stab you. If you step up into to hugging distance of someone swinging a long-axe, you still somehow get cut in half. Things like that cause the game to feel unnatural.

Oh and BTW, it seems like Taleworlds is working on matching the weapon models with the game lengths :grin:

You guys might find this vid interesting, it was made to show one of the few still known european fighting art, German Longsword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg&feature=player_embedded

I would also like to point out that you notice how very similar this fighting style is to Kendo? the only difference in the basics that I can see is that the Germans make use of a part of the blade that the Japanese did not have, the long and wide hilt.

Though I am not a master swordsman.

EDIT: and yes I do think that most of these moves were taken from the book you mentioned.

This mod sounds like something I would greatly like to see, I'm a fan for realistic combat.

Something I feel would be a huge improvement to the feel of the game would be directional shield blocking and realistic shield coverage (none of this forcefield nonsense).

Ex.

Up block can be the current block we have now that protects the upper body. Counters overhead swing.
Down block can be a a lower mid and lower level body protection. Counters thrust.
Left block is an angle block protecting the upper left front and side. Counters enemy right to left swing.
Right block is an angle block protecting the upper right and side. Counters enemy left to right swing.

Gasp skill based shield use :razz:

Also a rework on weapon swing recoveries would be welcomed.

The longest recover would be swing and miss, next would be striking an opponent, then swinging into a block.

Just some random ideas  :lol:

If you need some help I'll gladly offer any, while I'm not the most experienced I have basic coding and animating knowledge (and too much free time :razz:).

Fenix_120 said:
You guys might find this vid interesting, it was made to show one of the few still known european fighting art, German Longsword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg&feature=player_embedded

I would also like to point out that you notice how very similar this fighting style is to Kendo? the only difference in the basics that I can see is that the Germans make use of a part of the blade that the Japanese did not have, the long and wide hilt.

Though I am not a master swordsman.

EDIT: and yes I do think that most of these moves were taken from the book you mentioned.
Well, Hanko Dobringer talks about the techniques, but he doesn't give any illustrations.

And you'll be happy to know that I actively study German Longsword with ARMA :smile:

I will say that there are definitely differences in technique between German Longsword and Japanese swordsmanship. For example, the Katana typically uses drawing cuts to get the most out of the curved edge. The German Longsword, however, does not use draw cuts. You are right that the use of the German Longsword includes the use of the cross piece and pommel. Basically, there are many similarities and also many differences.

I have seen that video before (as well as others by the same people). Good to see people studying the Historical European Martial Arts. Honestly though, I've got to critique the video for a lack of martial intent. Many of those techniques and applications cannot be understood without applying them in a forceful violent context (that is sparring).

Here are some good videos from ARMA that show a more violent application of the techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsGU5KI1qJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz-07Dtp-Qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnqOMbFDEAI

I will definitely do what I can to improve shields and make their gameplay more dynamic as that is an extremely important thing to me. However, some of that stuff may be hardcoded. I will be thinking about what I can do within my limits.

morviuz said:
There is an animation sequence's duration for each of actor animation. Like

["release_overswing_twohanded", acf_overswing, amf_priority_attack|amf_use_weapon_speed|amf_play|amf_continue_to_next,
  [0.61, "attacks_twohanded_overswing", 26, 55, blend_in_release],]

Those blue is the animation duration. for overswing there's the ready animation (where you bring your 2h weapon up), release (where you swing it from up to down), and continue (where you bring you weapon back to it's default position).
  Yes, I knew about this. I don't see why I asked what I did... I kinda thought you needed a ... global animation time in order to edit things... >_> .. ? Uh. I guess... It's my other game that's messing its code around in my head. (Several other games) Thanks though, for reminding myself and me of this. ..

Have mercy, I didn't sleep tonight.
Servitor

ares007 said:
eh... I don't know about re-coding :razz:

I've actually discussed things with Ron before on the other forum (whatever it is) and I must admit that concerning some matters, he is not an expert. For the most part, yes, he generally knows what he's talking about and is generally quite a nice guy to talk to. On the other hand, he seems to be more knowledgeable about Asian Swordsmanship rather than European. Although the fundamentals are generally all the same, there are some significant differences that he doesn't seem to appreciate (and you can only appreciate if you study the art as the Medieval/Renaissance Masters taught with the realization of what context in which the art was employed). That is why I'm somewhat skeptical about certain things he says/advocates.

For example, he seems fundamentally apposed to the idea of halfswording with a longsword (or other "sharp" swords). He seems so familiar with the heavily over-sharpened Katana that he thinks all swords were light-sabers and could never be held with a hand.
The European sword, however, was designed to last a life-time or more. It was sharpened to an "apple-seed" edge that would preserve the edge for much longer (in other words, the edge was convex rather than concave like a knife). This means that when the edge was intentionally drawn across or forcefully applied to a target, then it would inflict injuries. However, as long as the blade is not sliding across something, it is not cutting. There is more that I could say to further support my point, but that is enough for now.

That being said, he is definitely more knowledgeable than most people I've confronted here on these forums, and he seems to be a sensible person in general. I would be glad for any help he could give. That bleeding script sounds interesting too.
Maybe too much to ask. Hopefully adding code to improve things is possible.

Would I recognize your username on there? I would wonder whether Ron doesn't know as much about European swords, though I believe he knows enough for accurate depictions (not super accurate, as someone who knows European swords might be able to get). If it's that Ron's more understanding of Asian weapons, and you of European, I mostly see this as all the more reason for two experts to put heads together (in a non-aggressive fashion) and create a superior product than either could give.
Is it all right if I ask about the particular issues you are sceptical of, out of curiosity? I'm guessing it'll be over my head, though.

He does seem opposed to the idea, I agree--though I don't know enough of the matter to say either way for it's effectiveness. I would guess that while it'd be completely useless for stabbing through an armour's thickness of steel plate, it'd likely be an improvement for stabbing through mail. I do think you exaggerate somewhat with Ron's understanding of European blades, however.
That does sound like amazing longevity, though I don't know how long the Katana's lifespan would be (I assume both would need caring one a while to avoid rust). I always wondered how half-swording was possible, without cutting the hands badly, and assumed you needed metal gauntlets--it's very amazing to hear that you can hold it without cutting yourself (much)... though perhaps MORE amazing that you can swing or stab a sword with a grip on that thin metal bar, and not slide your hands. I'm very interested on the fundamentals of half-swording, and other fighting, both for general perspective and for use in games/stories, if it doesn't take up too much of your time.

I mentioned this thread in a post. When he notices it, he may become interested in helping. I'm not sure yet.

ares007 said:
In the crowded chaos of close-quarters combat, you generally don't want big sweeping cuts. These kinds of cuts have the tendency to catch on environmental obstacles, hack into your brother-in-arms, and etc. Hanko Dobringer in his 1389 fechtbuch, tells us to always take the shortest route to the opponent and do not do wide ungainly strikes as the "play masters" do. There may be an application of a wide "street-cleaner" strike, but it's not very often.
The animations I aim to put in will still have range and power, but the stroke will be diagonal and focused to the front.
Whether we make the huge weapons slower or not depends on how animations affect balance. Right now, the huge 2-handed axes seem faster than they are because people utilize the "lolspin" technique. The animations will aim to make that much less of a problem.
Also, I will be removing the ability to wield the long-axe family of weapons as pure 2-handed weapons. They will be polearm only.
Oh yes of course, I'd never recommend doing that--just meant that a wide swing is occasionally useful (rarely). Might be forced to do it, against heavy armour, where you need all the force and leverage you can muster... would be interesting to have swords inflict Blunt Damage against heavy armour, with a possibility of knock-down should enough force be delivered.
Note deeply that with the directional-blocking system, having it too hard to tell the difference between attacks could get tedious. VERY tedious. Just a warning as something to consider, though a realistic-extent of being hard to tell one swing from another wouldn't be so bad (just that when you have a 25% chance of picking the right direction, that I'd get annoyed).
Ron has commented that big weapons move as though in slow motion. You seem to have done some training with swords, so I'm not sure if you did any tests with big weapons. Problem isn't going fast, I expect. Rather, keeping your weapon in your hands, and keeping your body upright above the ground, after a fast swing.
It does appeal as more of a polearm then a twohanded weapon. What are the exact differences game-wise, though?

ares007 said:
I plan on having the player hold the polearms further down the haft so that they gain more range. Also, the animations will be more realistic/historically-accurate. Polearms will also be balanced in other ways.
Though, it seems that polearms can't be held too far at the end of the shaft, since humans can't bear that much weight of leverage. May want to consider it a while, depending on the polearm used.

ares007 said:
All you need is 5 inches into someone to kill them. In half-swording, you've still got about a foot of blade to pierce the body. That is enough to inflict sever injury. What is most important in dealing damage with a thrust is the placement of the thrust (in a vulnerable/lethal area or not) and whether or not the thrust is strong enough to get through whatever might be in the way. Half-swording has advantages in both of these areas.

Actually, against very good armor, half-swording is generally preferable to normal cuts because normal blunt cuts don't do **** to very good armor. Against plate armor, a normal cut would more likely damage the edge of the sword than anything else. With a gauntlet/vambrace, a knight could actually block a sword blow with his forearm. Now with mail, a normal cut will deal damage to someone, but halfsword will still apply the power needed to deal a more deeply penetrating thrust. So unless you're fighting someone with plate armor or partial plate, then half-swording and standard hand position are not really better than each other but rather more effective in different positions.

Another important application of half-swording is the leveraging ability. Even without armor, in a close situation, half-swording could be effectively employed to take someone down. So that's another thing I want to do with it. I want the swings to have an ok chance of knocking someone down to simulate this.
Yes, but this game is doing it with Hit Points, so it's a matter of working out realistic logistics. Ron's RCM theory works out great in practice, so discussion with him seems good ideaness. A foot is still quite a bit, though.. .so assuming you can get all of that in through whatever armour, you're looking at a good percentage of the original damage in piercing.

I do think half-swording would be preferable, if well used, even if mainly for the striking with the hand-guard. Normal cuts are only useful if you do huge power-swings, to try and bruise your opponent under the armour. Appears to me we see more of the same idea than I first believed. Was wondering if you meant half-swording was a handy way to kill plate-clad knights xD (well, it may be more handy for dealing them in some ways, but it's mostly trying to hammer them as hard as you can, unless you get some weird chance to stab through a visible weak-point). Good to hear from someone who'd know that metal vambraces actually can block/deflect blade--I pla to have that for a particular character.

Yeah, Ron accredited the leverage also. Hope knock-down chances can be edited, with WB.

ares007 said:
Thanks. I hope I don't sound too much like a arrogant bastard :razz:
Oh no, not at all. You sound smart, and reasonable. Not necessarily 100% right--but I rarely trust people who can sound 100% right :mrgreen:. Hope to get the best possible result from you, with whatever help I can arrange to be supplied.

ares007 said:
Better AI would definitely make for a better more realistic game. I'll definitely consider it. But it is not a top priority as of now. Right now, my top priority is animations.
What is the next priority, after improved animations? I'd be interested in a "Realism Compilation Mod" where you combine all sorts of systems for realism. Realistic bandit spawning, gold/princes system, weapon stats, animations, AI, formations, etc..

ares007 said:
I don't think that it's too complex. I think that the problem is some other fundamental problems either got neglected or added. For example: lolspinning makes huge axes seem unnaturally fast. When a pike point is 2 meters behind you, it can still somehow stab you. If you step up into to hugging distance of someone swinging a long-axe, you still somehow get cut in half. Things like that cause the game to feel unnatural.
I HAAAAAATE the pike thing. I can put up with spinning to speed up strikes, but I despise the workings of weapons so that the wooden shaft of an axe of spear acts like a razor sharp blade.

ares007 said:
Oh and BTW, it seems like Taleworlds is working on matching the weapon models with the game lengths :grin:
YAAAAY!!! That's the other thing I despised... weapons being longer then they look. It leads to the question of why have different weapons.

Thanks for the discussion!

Are you also trying to redo some very old animations, like reloading and shooting a crossbow, blocking with shield and using a bow?

I really like your idea. Combat in Warband is way too unrealistic in my oppinion.
I am especially unhappy with the backbone of Medieval armies -> polearms. At the moment, a spear doesn't make much sense. because the enemy can run through it and then your weapon is useless. Is it possible to add some kind of pushing back effect on polearms? If you successfully stab an enemy with a polearm, then he will be pushed back 1-3 feet. That way, a spear wall would start to become really useful.

Bismarck said:
I really like your idea. Combat in Warband is way too unrealistic in my oppinion.
I am especially unhappy with the backbone of Medieval armies -> polearms. At the moment, a spear doesn't make much sense. because the enemy can run through it and then your weapon is useless. Is it possible to add some kind of pushing back effect on polearms? If you successfully stab an enemy with a polearm, then he will be pushed back 1-3 feet. That way, a spear wall would start to become really useful.
Spears are actually quite useful, just not against very good armor. Of course, the stab doesn't work too well when the enemy is right on you, but you always bash them over the head :smile: . And don't forget about the kick that Taleworlds implemented. That will put someone in good range for a polearm. Also, polearms are useful against horses because they usually stop the horse when they stab it making the horse and rider very vulnerable to getting swarmed.

Saatana said:
Are you also trying to redo some very old animations, like reloading and shooting a crossbow, blocking with shield and using a bow?
We'll see. I mainly want to work on the pure melee attack and block animations. If there is the opportunity, we might look into other animations though.

Maybe too much to ask. Hopefully adding code to improve things is possible.
definitely

Would I recognize your username on there?
Eh, I don't even remember what my username is there. It might be the same as here though.

Is it all right if I ask about the particular issues you are sceptical of, out of curiosity? I'm guessing it'll be over my head, though.
well, not too many issues with what he put in there. I guess the only thing that I might not like is his treatment of bigger European straight swords. They're much faster than most people realize. Even people that have swung them around don't know how fast they can be unless they use proper technique with a properly constructed/balanced sword. Though honestly, just about everything he actually changed was qenerally very good. I guess I'm just wary of his doubts about half-swording and hope they won't get in the way of whatever we would cooperate on (though I expect we might just help each other on our own individual projects which should result in no conflict)

I'm very interested on the fundamentals of half-swording, and other fighting, both for general perspective and for use in games/stories, if it doesn't take up too much of your time.
Well, at the moment, I don't have enough time, but in the near future, I would love to explain further.

Also, a longsword is not blade-heavy enough to really unbalance someone who is in armor and mentally prepared to take the blow (but get definitely do internal damage to someone wearing mail armor, however mail plus leather plus clothe... :razz: ). There is however a technique called a mordhau in which you hold the sword by its blade and strike the with the cross-hilt or pommel. In that case there is enough mass behind the strike to actually damage the armor (not to mention the almost sharp part of the cross-hilt).

Also, you're right a half-sword thrust could not penetrate plate armor. However, in addition to its increased power, half-sword thrusts have more accuracy. This means that in close, it is much more possible to thrust into the weak points of the armor. This usually involves grappling a lot. Realistically speaking, the mordhau is the only kind of strike in which a sword can deal damage to someone in plate armor from distance.

What is the next priority, after improved animations? I'd be interested in a "Realism Compilation Mod" where you combine all sorts of systems for realism. Realistic bandit spawning, gold/princes system, weapon stats, animations, AI, formations, etc..
Well, after animations, rebalancing stats. I'm not sure exactly how my priorities will fall after that. It really depends on how those changes effect gameplay and realism. Some time in the future, I would definitely like a compilation of many realistic changes to many aspects of gameplay. Maybe I could work together with other modders for that because they probably know a lot more about the non-combat stuff than me.

I HAAAAAATE the pike thing. I can put up with spinning to speed up strikes, but I despise the workings of weapons so that the wooden shaft of an axe of spear acts like a razor sharp blade.
Yep. I don't know about the thrusts, but some polearm animations I'm thinking of might affect the "speed bonus" in closer so that it deals even less damage. I definitely want to try to do whatever I can to alleviate this problem.

BTW, I'm definitely not an expert. I've just been training with ARMA some, so I understand more about European swords than most people.

Back
Top Bottom