Alternative Campaign Idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Fencermonkey

Recruit
            I sat down this evening as was struck by inspiration to form a system for playing a multiplayer campaign of Mount and Blade : Warband. The game would be played on a gridded map which would be updated with each move. To my great distress, I did not check the forums first and later found that it has already been done! Just the same, I wanted to post what I did manage to come up with just incase somebody wanted to take it and run further.
            The game is intended to be hosted by a Gamemaster ( or Gamemasters) who will help to keep track of everybody's position and rosters. The Gamemaster should keep everything fair and keep things running smoothly. They should alter any game-rules they see fit at the beginning of a campaign or as soon as it is found to be a problem.
            In my mind, the default map for Mount and Blade was used for this ruleset, but any map could be used. If anybody likes what I've written here and desires to use or expand on it, please feel free. I would like to input a money system, but it currently seems like it would be  too difficult to enforce.

Please don't take this as an attempt to take away from any other campaign systems being used!

Basics
In the order they joined, commanders will take turns moving their units across the map. (Commanders may delegate someone to take the turn if need be)
After each turn, their position will be updated on a map kept by the Gamemaster. (Hopefully posted online)
The map will be gridded by letters and numbers to make movement easier.
If units overlap, they may battle.
The overall goal is to conquer the entire map for your nation. When this goal is reached, the game ends.

Forming a Party
If you wish to join the game, send an e-mail //the gamemaster// with the name of your country and the names of any players in your party. (Bandits and outlaws welcomed!)
To form a party, you must first choose a starting city or be a part of a current party.
Every party must have a commander who will choose where they will move and when they will fight.
New recruits may only be added to the roster in a town that your nation controls.
If a member of a party wishes to leave and start their own party, they will start in the square that their previous party occupied when they left.
Parties may be any size.

Movement
The lowest movement can get is 1 tile. The highest it can get is 6 tiles.
The default movement for one unit on horseback is 5 spaces.
For every 5 units, decrease the movement by 1.
For every battle won, add +1 morale movement bonus.

Terrain affects:
Rivers: -2
Hills: -2
Mountains: -4
Desert: -1
Snow: -1

Battles
Parties may engage when they occupy the same space.
Parties may only consist of their last updated roster.
The gamemaster will host the game as a spectator to make sure nobody cheats.
Friendly fire will always be 100% for both melee and ranged.
Manual block will always be enforced.
Battles will be fought under appropriate game modes in appropriate maps with a very high respawn time. (Siege for sieges, Battle for general fighting)
All battles will be the best 2/3 to counter issues like lag/sudden loss of internet and other uncontrollable occurrences.
If a battle cannot be arranged and fought before either side's next turn, the smaller force will lose. In the event of even (or a small difference like 2) forces, the battle will be a draw and neither side will lose or gain.

Sieges
Sieges will be fought in the siege game mode.
When attacking a town, fort, or castle, any clan from that settlement's country may choose to act as the inhabitants until a player force arrives.
Sieged towns will have access to 2 NPCs, cities will have access to 4, castles will have 6, and capital cities will have 10.

Victory and Defeat
Upon winning a battle, you may choose to hold a party captive for up to 2 turns.
The captured party may not move during this time and will be taken with your party.
Captured units may attempt to escape on their turn, but they must do so without armor and only free weapons.
At the end of the second turn, the unit will be released into an adjacent square and become untouchable until the end of their next turn. They may still choose to fight on their turn.

Government
At the end of the first round and every 5 rounds after, a King will be elected.
The King will have the power to grant Knighthood, form alliances, declare war, and make requests.
***Any player is welcomed to ignore their King's orders, but will face possible consequences.***
Kings may not break up a party or change their commanders.
Kings may offer the position of commander to any knight when attempting to form a new party under their country.
Kings may exile as they see fit.
***An exiled player becomes countryless and may join any nation with permission of the King or go rogue. Some Kings may give a task to be completed before allowing the party to join.***
If a bad King is elected, a rebellion is possible. You must declare your rebellion and march on the capital.
Defeating the armies of the King, and thereafter the King in a duel, will result in the winner becoming King.

Miscellaneous
Any rule-breaking will result in the automatic defeat of your party (and possible expulsion from the game)
If a week passes without a turn being taken, the turn is forfeit. (Commanders may delegate someone else to take the turn if need be)
Villages may be raided (capture the flag) to earn a +2 morale movement bonus on your next turn.
Do not whine over losses. The best 2/3 is fair.
If you are exiled or punished by a King, take the punishment whether you deserve it or not. Kings do as they please, and maybe you'll better serve another lord.
Remember, the idea is to have fun. If you are in a position of power, try not to abuse it. Please keep griefing to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom