Suggestions on player voices

Users who are viewing this thread

Im going to be doing some hero voices, some people have mentioned that they have some ideas on what their hero should sound like. Feel free to post here.

Dont expect me to come up with miracles though  :eek:
Its hard to do voices shouting/screaming yelling. I think for the hero voices shouting will do. I did alot of screaming for generic battle sounds in the voice pack and normal sounds.

You might want to consider the following in your descriptions:

-Actor/person you associate the voice with (not nessacary)
-accent
-generic emotion.

I assume we're just talking about Marnid and Borcha, and not Yrima?

I think of Marnid as a 25 year old failure.  He should have the emotions similar to Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh (in other words, always downcast, resigned, and defeated).  I'd say his voice would have an average tone, neither nasally nor high-pitched, nor deep.  I don't think he should have any noticeable or heavy accent.

Borcha, however, I think would be around 40 years old.  He should have a grizzled voice, quite like you'd expect a stereotypical mountain man to have.  His tone should be brusque and masculine.  I'd expect that he would have a rather deep voice as well.

For the player, I think a choice should be ideal. Otherwise, seperate voices for each class would be excellent. Eg.

Squire/Lady - Kind of posh, upper class accent. I.e. Lara Croft in Tombraider
Hunter - Gruff, rough and ready. Lower class, but not civilized. Possibly Arnie in some of his earlier roles
Merchant - Kind of midway, standard style voice.
Priest/Nun - Should sound a little more charismatic than average - used to addressing people. Patrick Stewart.

Alternatively, in an ideal world:
Squire - Brian Blessed
Hunter - Brian Blessed
Merchant - Brian Blessed
Priest - Brian Blessed
:lol:

I think he's talking about player characters. The big one for me is to have a good variety to select from. Even by trying to define one voice that I'd like using text, I find it hard.

I think if we're going to take advantage of the non-historical setting, this is the time to do it. Poorly-faked accents ruin so much.

It is absolutely vital that the voicework be UNDERSTATED . . . ESPECIALLY for the hero characters. The bandit voices are good because they are campy, but if you do something that is over-the-top and takes itself seriously. If you make this corny like a generic western fantasy RPG, in which my character says something like, "May ravens feast upon thy flesh!" every time he draws his sword, I will leave this game and never come back.

In summary:

- Understated is optimal
- Humorous is acceptable
- Melodramatic is not acceptable

You didn't canvass the fans for free voice actors, did you? I'm only 21, too young to be a James Earl Jones-caliber basso profundo, but God did bless me (I'm working on a Mozart aria in which a big stupid Turkish brute sings several low 'D's). At any rate, as talented as you may be, I think it would be best if you have at least two or three actors with significantly different voices.

I meant voices for player charachters yes.

Im open to auditions for anyone who wants to include their voice in the game however I wont accept samples sent with to much background noise.
So far Ive recieved one audition and am waiting for another. Patience is the key here.

Eogan said:
You should get Liam Neeson, James Earl Jones, and Sean Connery to do the voices. :wink:

Sean eh... ? hmmm...

Guys, when making a suggestion try to elaborate if possible.

For example old style heroes... what would that entail??

Thanks.

rejenorst said:
For example old style heroes... what would that entail??

Thanks.

An old scratchy-sounding voice would be nice. As would a nice deep one. I'd get a kick out of an effeminate male as well (not neccessarily old though). Mainly, multiple options at different ages.

Jeremy Irons as opposed to Orlando Bloom, for instance.  Or Russel Crowe as compared to Ewan McGregor.  Older-style vs younger. 

A range of voices at a range of ages sounds good, but intensive.  These are basically being done for the battlefield commands, right?

Merentha said:
Jeremy Irons as opposed to Orlando Bloom, for instance.  Or Russel Crowe as compared to Ewan McGregor.  Older-style vs younger. 

A range of voices at a range of ages sounds good, but intensive.  These are basically being done for the battlefield commands, right?

Yeah pretty much. :smile:

rejenorst said:
Im going to be doing some hero voices, some people have mentioned that they have some ideas on what their hero should sound like. Feel free to post here.

Dont expect me to come up with miracles though  :eek:
Its hard to do voices shouting/screaming yelling. I think for the hero voices shouting will do. I did alot of screaming for generic battle sounds in the voice pack and normal sounds.

You might want to consider the following in your descriptions:

-Actor/person you associate the voice with (not nessacary)
-accent
-generic emotion.
Very cool as usual Rejenorst. :smile:

Marnid=Owen Wilson!! With a soft, whiny, downtrodden voice. (Almost comical, but not really).

Borcha=This is tough. I'm thinking Charles Bronson but he's more of a leader. Borcha has street-cred, but he's no leader figure. The voice should be a bit sleazy and persuasive. Note how Borcha convinces the player to free him. I'm thinking of a gruff-sounding actor but I can't come up with one.

I'm thinking James Brown but white and just a lot rougher, more rugged and deeper boom.

As far as auditions go Im looking for a middle aged / deep voice for M&B.

Im 24 and my voice is quite young sounding so for an additional set of battle sounds wouldnt mind a second older sounding voice.

I used to use the camera mic on my old vhs camera which was a superb mic, however it didnt let me set the gain which caused alot of problems volume wise. If you want to audition for something record at -3 to -6db (i use soundforge).

I definitely think the player should be able to choose from a few voice sets for their main character.
To that end, I think I might have some vocals to contribute. Will post a few samples later (like "Archers!", "Charge!" and so forth).

Back
Top Bottom