Eligible Bachelors: The gold digger's guide to Calradia *spoilers in here*

Users who are viewing this thread

trash

Recruit
Eligible Bachelors
The gold digger's guide to Calradia

In our world, it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife. Unfortunately in Calradia, the words of our beloved Jane Austen fall hollow (as they do on some unconvinced ears, even here). Many lords simply will not be interested, though in possession of much fortune and being very single. Many pitfalls and heartaches await our dauntless heroines in the brutal simplicity of Calradian courtship. This guide will hopefully assist you in choosing the right path for your character, to avoid investing too much time and emotion in lost causes and perhaps even win eternal love or fame and fortune with the handsome single lords that populate Calradia.

Content
Part 1 - Summary
Part 2 - Marriage proposals
Part 3 - What does it mean to be an admirer?
Part 4 - Personalities breakdown

Part 1 - Summary

a) Have high charisma
b) Have high renown
c) The man must be unmarried, and you must not be in a different faction. Being unaligned is perfectly fine, and I don't think affects anything.
d) Choose carefully - not military or upstanding individuals; not interested in someone else (see part 2 and 4)
e) Build relations when you are sure the man could be interested, i.e. not military/upstanding (doesn't say give the response about ideal wives, or that they are interested in others when you suggest marriage)

Part 2 - Marriage Proposals

You have probably never asked anyone's hand in marriage before, or at least not had much practice (I hope). In Calradia the matter is simple, I wish they implemented it in the real world the next revision round, it would make things much simpler. Here's how it goes in Calradia:
Try speaking to unmarried men (look them up in the debretts of Calradia, the wondrous 'Notes' tab), then select:
1) I wish to ask you something
2) What would it take to cement a lasting alliance...
3) Yes. That is my proposal (didn't know my hero was so un-romantic!)

If the potential husband says:

1. My lady, you are a woman of great spirit and bravery, possessed of beauty, grace and wit. I shall give your proposal consideration.
If you have fairly good relations with the Lord (7+) show him that you can actually be a good wife and do as he says.
Wait a few days or so and then speak to him again and he should propose (otherwise wait longer). If you reject him when he proposes, you can always ask him again, and that resets the wait.
Otherwise, he needs a little more convincing. Build your relations with them and try again. Sometimes when you speak to them next you will get a relations boost, then just ask them for marriage and they may propose.

2. Nah. I want a woman who will keep quiet and do what she's told. I don't think that's you.
I love the politically incorrect-ness. Basically he's actually telling you he thinks you are ugly, so get yourself more charisma (11+). I had 11 Cha, 14 relations, <300 renown. I think this only works with admirers.
If he does not admire you, then you may have no hope with these ones (test with 40 relations, 1080 renown and 32 charisma)

3. My Lady, while I admire your valour and your beauty, you will forgive me if I tell you that a woman like you does not uphold to my ideal of a wife: feminine, delicate and pure.
The bastard, questioning your purity! Military and upstanding personalities give this response. There might be no way around this! Tested with 1080 renown; 33 CHA; 90 relations

4. My lady, there are other maidens who have captured my heart
I think this means they are on track to being married with someone else. NPCs in the game actually do marry and have wives, no idea how this works.
I think it is not 100% that they will end up with the person that has 'captured their heart'. If you wait around, they may change their mind. I know in one game after a very long time

5. I am already in love with Lady X
I think something has happened between the two in the game world. I got this response with -1 relations from a debauched character. Needless to say, he did not 'admire' me.
Try improving your relations with this character - but this guy may be off-limits.

Part 3 - 'Farewell, my lady, I shall remain your most ardent admirer'

A hidden gene in about 50% of the unmarried men cause them to say this to you. I have no idea what causes it - it is not linked to personality, renown, relations (unless negative when they are less likely to be friendly). You will find that most of them aren't actually serious when you try to do something about their ardent admiration.

The effect of 'ardent admiration' is probably that they are easier to marry (what a surprise - that people who like you actually might marry you!) If he rebuffs you, then he is likely to comment on your femininity. Work harder and you will catch them in your web! Watch out for military and upstanding men though (see below).

If a man does not express their ardent admiration, it doesn't mean he can't be married. If he rebuffs you by saying he is interested in 'others', then as mentioned above, your chances are slim. If their response is something else, then perhaps try harder at being a woman. I have gotten Quarrelsome, Pitiless and Calculating individuals to marry.

Part 4 - Personalities

There seem to be 7 personalities in Calradia, which I would say probably is quite similar to real life. I'm not too confident about my research in this section, but here are my notes. To find out NPCs secret personalities, I think you have to enable cheat mode. Then send your companions on intel missions (I'd like to ask you something; Do you know of any connections that might be useful to us etc)

1. Debauched
Be careful of non-admirers - most will have had their hearts 'captured by another' already.
Admirers should be marriageable.
Tested roughly 10 individuals, and one was an admirer. didn't get to raise relations so didn't actually marry - but he did say he would consider.
Yes, perhaps debauched individuals would turn down offers of marriage. Probably only good for a summer fling - don't follow in the footsteps of Lydia Bennett. Avoid wastrels and men who like horses at all costs! How do you spot a wastrel? Well they like horses, so indeed the first part of that description was unnecessary, my apologies.

2. Good natured
I imagine 'good natured' would be a trait most people look for in people to develop long term relationships with. Someone to settle down with by a cosy fire, perhaps into minding their own little gardens - modest men - sturdy foundations for family life etc etc blah blah.
Admirers should definitely marry you eventually. Unfortunately I have no low CHA/Renown/Relations NPCs to check with! But at 20+ relations, 728 renown and 24 Charisma they were happy to marry.
Non-admirers are probably on track to marrying somebody else, so may be off limits. Indeed, good natured people are easy to get along with!

3. Upstanding
Sadly, the more established, upstanding gentry of Calradia refuse to stoop to your level. No Mr Darcys here.
Couldn't get any upstanding NPCs, admiring or non-admiring to marry, even at 24 relations, 19 cha, 724 renown

4. Martial
Are you into King Arthur? Do you like your men in uniforms? Alexander would be 'Great' in *your* bedroom? Sorry girls and boys, no luck here. Martial men are pussies and will probably tell you that you are not their 'ideal woman' and refused to marry.
Tested with 70+ relations, 1080 renown, 32 Charisma.

5. Calculating
Does your hero believe true love is fictional
? Does she believe in using marriage to get ahead? (Does she realise this is just a game and we should welcome the fantasy?) Well you're in luck - the 'marriage as a business contract' type guys will marry you. No surprise that it does not seem that their feelings towards you matter. Plus, the history buffs (how I hate them and their realism!) and the game designers (praise be) probably agree with the fact that very few people in that time married out of love. Yes, the calculating men who can see your 'true' worth in a finite sum of denars are most likely to marry you.

6. Quarrelsome
Well, you know what they say is best after a fight...
I'm not sure you can marry non-admirers. 40 relations, 1080 renown and 32 charisma did not satisfy these men. They gave me the wonderful response that I would not do as I was told!
For admirers, I had roughly 300 renown, 14 relations, 11 cha and had Count Gerluchs marry outright)

7. Pitiless
What does it mean to be pitiless in marriage? Perhaps not as bad as being penniless or pitiful - but it does suggest these guys may be bastards so watch out!
Yes, should marry you whether admirers or not. I had a non-admirer marry me at 11 relations, 724 renown and 17 charisma

Have you done any testing concerning Persuasion, Honour (might help with the military men?), and size of your holdings (if rebel)?

I didn't think charisma had anything to do with being able to get people to like you i thought it was only perswasion effecting the coding?

Also if you marry a man when you ahve a kingdom does he join your kingdom? that could be intresting. Failing that i see no reason to play a women.

:EDIT:

This is in the wrong place isn't it?

There's another axis along which all lords are separated: Honorable and Dishonorable. I'm fairly certain this plays a big part when proposing marriage. If you're an honorable character and you're proposing to a dishonorable one, it wont work. In fact I suspect a few of your tests like the Upstanding or the Military ones may well have been tainted because of opposite honor standings. As far as how you establish who's honorable and who's dishonorable, I've only ever found one way: The honorable characters commend you on your chivalry if you release an enemy lord after defeating them in battle. The dishonorable ones will call you a twit.

My character had incredibly high honour, so that should not have been a problem. The kinds of characters that were marrying me were all dishonourable (quarrelsome etc).

Charisma definitely has an impact - I know this for sure, because I tested with everything controlled, and just raised charisma. With Charisma 9, no luck - with Charisma 11, marriage.

dhowlett said:
Also if you marry a man when you ahve a kingdom does he join your kingdom? that could be intresting. Failing that i see no reason to play a women.

:EDIT:

This is in the wrong place isn't it?

You can only get 1 lord to join your kingdom in that way - and indeed, playing as a woman is really more for the challenge then anything else.

Disturbed5000 said:
There's another axis along which all lords are separated: Honorable and Dishonorable. I'm fairly certain this plays a big part when proposing marriage. If you're an honorable character and you're proposing to a dishonorable one, it wont work. In fact I suspect a few of your tests like the Upstanding or the Military ones may well have been tainted because of opposite honor standings. As far as how you establish who's honorable and who's dishonorable, I've only ever found one way: The honorable characters commend you on your chivalry if you release an enemy lord after defeating them in battle. The dishonorable ones will call you a twit.
All upstanding and good nature lords "comment on your chivalry" while the cunning or pitiless ones "call you a twit".

I am necroing this thread to post the contents of a file I made a while ago about this topic based on my investigations of the module system.

Marriage to lady decision checklist script

• Get lord reputation type
  • Run script "get romantic chemistry with player"
        Assign the romantic chemistry variable
  • Run script "get relation with player"
        Assign the relation with player variable
  • (assign, ":competitor", -1),
Three competitor ladies are chosen from the faction and their relation with the lord is checked.
It looks like the one with the best relation(?) is chosen as the competitor.
(note: I think actually the reputation of the lady is compared with that of the player and if the player's is lower the cometitor is stored)
Then the player's fiefs are counted.

It looks like reasons for refusal include:

- the player is already betrothed,
Code:
 ("my_lady_engaged_to_another", "My lady, as I understand it, you are engaged to another."),

- bad relationship (-3 or less i think for upstanding, cunning, goodnatured),
- bad relationship (-10 or less i think for quarrelsome, debauched, selfrighteous),
    ^^so it looks like relation doesn't matter except that less than -3 or -10 depending on personality gets you acrimonious messages whereas less than 10 gets positivity but not comittment
- romantic chemistry less than 5:
Code:
("my_lady_not_sufficient_chemistry", "My lady, there are other maidens who have captured my heart.")
- or personality is martial or upstanding (automatic rejection, "not ladylike enough"),
- or quarrelsome lord with less than 15 romantic chemistry
Code:
(i want a woman who'll keep quiet and do as she's told)
- or at least 10 romantic chemistry but no fiefs = debauched and selfrighteous rejection, or with less than 10 chemistry those 2 just say **** off "you're a nobody",
- or if romantic chemistry is less than 5 (and/or?) relation is less than 20, and the lord IS NOT debauched or self righteous,
- or if the lord is cunning(?) and the faction leader has bad rep with you,
- or you're in another faction,
- or if there's a competitor (circumstances?).

If none of the above are a problem the lord will agree to give your proposal consideration and if your relation with him is above (or equal?) to 10 he agrees to marry.

Lady incompatibilities 

Conventional : Martial or Selfrighteous = -50 chance of rivalry
"A most gallant gentleman who knows how to treat a lady"

Conventional : Quarrelsome = 50
"A base cad"

Adventurous : Cunning = -50
"Treats me as his equal which is rare"

Adventurous : Martial or Debauched = 50
"Appears to value me with his estate and his horse as prizes worth having"

Adventurous : Goodnatured = 10
"A bit dull but what can you expect"

Romantic : romantic chemistry 10(?) = -50
"The man whom destiny intends for me"

Romantic : romntic chemistry less than 0 = 50
"I cannot say why but he makes my skin crawl"

Ambitious : Selfrighteous or Cunning = -20
"A man who clearly intends to make his mark in the world"

Ambitious : Goodnatured = 30
"He is a layabout and a naive prey for others who are cleverer than he"

Moralist : Upstanding = -50
"He is a man of stalwart character"

Moralist : Debauched or Cunning = 50
"He appears to be a man of low morals"

Moralist : Quarrelsome = 50
"He appears to be a man who lacks selfdiscipline"

Code:
  ("troop_get_romantic_chemistry_with_troop", #source is lady, target is man
    [
      (store_script_param, ":source_lady", 1),
      (store_script_param, ":target_lord", 2),

(store_add, ":chemistry_sum", ":source_lady", ":target_lord"),
      (val_add, ":chemistry_sum", "$romantic_attraction_seed"),      

#This calculates (modula ^ 2) * 3 
      (store_mod, ":chemistry_remainder", ":chemistry_sum", 5),
      (val_mul, ":chemistry_remainder", ":chemistry_remainder"), #0, 1, 4, 9, 16
      (val_mul, ":chemistry_remainder", 3), #0, 3, 12, 27, 48

(store_attribute_level, ":romantic_chemistry", ":target_lord", ca_charisma),
      (val_sub, ":romantic_chemistry", ":chemistry_remainder"),

(val_mul, ":romantic_chemistry", 2),
      (assign, reg0, ":romantic_chemistry"), 

#examples : 
      #For a charisma of 18, yields (18 - 0) * 2 = 36, (18 - 3) * 2 = 30, (18 - 12) * 2 = 12, (18 - 27) * 2 = -18, (18 - 48) * 2 = -60
      #For a charisma of 10, yields (10 - 0) * 2 = 20, (10 - 3) * 2 = 14, (10 - 12) * 2 = -4, (10 - 27) * 2 = -34, (10 - 48) * 2 = -76
      #For a charisma of 7, yields  (7 - 0) * 2 = 14,  (7 - 3) * 2 = 8,   (7 - 12) * 2 = -10, (7 - 27) * 2 = -40,  (7 - 48) * 2 = -82

#15 is high attraction, 0 is moderate attraction, -76 is lowest attraction
   ]),

("cf_troop_get_romantic_attraction_to_troop", #source is lady, target is man
    [   

(store_script_param, ":source_lady", 1),
   (store_script_param, ":target_lord", 2),

(assign, ":weighted_romantic_assessment", 0),   

(troop_get_type, ":source_is_female", ":source_lady"),
   (eq, ":source_is_female", 1),
   (troop_get_type, ":target_is_female", ":target_lord"),
   (eq, ":target_is_female", 0),

(call_script, "script_troop_get_romantic_chemistry_with_troop", ":source_lady", ":target_lord"),
   (assign, ":romantic_chemistry", reg0),

#objective attraction - average renown
   (troop_get_slot, ":modified_renown", ":target_lord", slot_troop_renown),
   (assign, ":lady_status", 60),
   (val_div, ":modified_renown", 5),
   (val_sub, ":modified_renown", ":lady_status"),
   (val_min, ":modified_renown", 60),

#weight values
   (try_begin),
      (assign, ":personality_match", 0),
      (call_script, "script_cf_test_lord_incompatibility_to_s17", ":source_lady", ":target_lord"),
      (store_sub, ":personality_match", 0, reg0),
   (try_end),

(troop_get_slot, ":lady_reputation", ":source_lady", slot_lord_reputation_type),
   (try_begin),
      (eq, ":lady_reputation", lrep_ambitious),
      (val_mul, ":modified_renown", 2),
      (val_div, ":romantic_chemistry", 2),
   (else_try),
      (eq, ":lady_reputation", lrep_otherworldly),
      (val_div, ":modified_renown", 2),
      (val_mul, ":romantic_chemistry", 2),
   (else_try),
      (eq, ":lady_reputation", lrep_adventurous),
      (val_div, ":modified_renown", 2),
   (else_try),