SP Native Better Banners Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkQuinn

Sergeant at Arms
Note: a standard M&B version has also been included.

All new banners shown below in spoiler (mixed with a few of the old banners, but all have received my super duper post-process "fade" effect to make them nice and aged). :wink:

bannersq.jpg

MANY thanks to YellowMosquito, whose excellent Banner and Flag Standardization Pack is the only reason I decided to make new banners.  If you wish to make new flags or banners yourself, know that his pack and templates make it 10,000% easier.  That's right, I said 10,000%.  You can find the topic for his mod here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,33372.msg859746.html

Better Banners download link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1789

That is a staggering amount of win and one I shall be downloading and putting into my singleplayer installation of Warband.

I've actually got two installations specifically for banners, as I dislike seeing clan banners in singleplayer. Now I'll have awesome banners to replace the decent default ones with.

I also find it a little funny that there's still a few original banners in your pack: the white deer's head on the black field, the white bird on black field, red asterisk within a white circle on a blue field, red circle above a red crescent on a white field, the blue and white vertical stripes, white flame over white crescent on blue, red horizontal stripes on white, black asterisk w/ yellow tips on white, and the glorious fish on blue.

I particularly like bottom-right-most banner in the middle column. The black eagle, crowned, on a field of white on red.

I'm also loving the black & gold Stag on white.

Orion said:
I also find it a little funny that there's still a few original banners in your pack

Yeah, I made these for the original M&B and never released them.  I made a ton of new banners, but not enough to fill up all the needed slots.  So when it came time to add them to YellowMosquito's template, I just eyeballed the ones I liked and kept them.  I'd have liked to keep a few more actually (the purple lion over a white background) but some had to go.

EDIT: Also, my source didn't have a lot of images that were very "Mongol" looking, which is why you see several of the Khergit banners still in there.

Some of these banners are really impressive.  Are these banners readily available for other modules to use if credit is given? or are they a personal project of yours only, because I wouldn't mind featuring some of these banners in the Litus Module mod.  Credit would obviously be given where credit is due.

Nice!
I hate some of the old ones and from hat I'be seen so far, yours are all awesome.
One thing though, won't this give the Sarranids rather.. well... "occidental" banners?

Edit:
Gee.. stupid me.
Spelling.

If no ones gonna say it then I will...

BEWBS!

Epic banners, will definitely download after I'm done working.

Let me try to answer everything.

Wei.Xiadi: yes, go ahead and use these in your mod.  In fact sorry I didn't mention that these were an open resource.  The nice thing about YellowMosquito's mod is that if you have any halfway decent paint program you can very easily copy and paste my banners to your own template (be sure to use Yellow's template found in his mod though so you can be sure there will be 100% compatability between image sizes, etc.).

Wellenbrecher: The original Sarranid banners are still in there.  I just didn't include them in the pic because that page of banners received no changes, aside from that aged "faded" treatment.

Joppin: Thanks.

Mercenary88: nope, the ini is the one in your module folder (it's actually called "module").  Sorry if I wasn't clear in the instructions, but it's pretty common for all mods so if you ever see "change your ini" again, there's a 9 out of 10 chance they mean the one in your module.

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

MarkQuinn said:
Wellenbrecher: The original Sarranid banners are still in there.  I just didn't include them in the pic because that page of banners received no changes, aside from that aged "faded" treatment.
Ah, good, good.
Will definitely try this out once I'm back home.

In fact if anyone wants to make their own banners, these came from a fantastic source:

http://www.nemzetijelkepek.hu/onkormanyzat-a_en.shtml (National and Historic Symbols of Hungary)

I'm assuming many of the Mongol-type images are a reference to the Mongol invasion of eastern Europe, but why they would want to celebrate that by putting it on about 10% of their county's coats-of-arms I have no idea.  But the beauty of this Hungarian source is they have a little mix of both the east and west, and thousands of images.  I would think they're public domain, as well.  Not sure of the legalities of it, since the colors and layouts of a flag can't be copyrighted, but a specific rendition of that flag could be.  If any of the municipalities of Hungary send me a cease and desist letter, I shall remove that particular image from the pack.

Hello,

I have the Steam version 1.105 of Warband.

If I apply this banner pack on it, will the game be updated when a new patch comes out? If so, will the mod still work?

caddux, to be honest, I'm not sure.  Until TaleWorlds has settled most of the issues and releases a more or less "final patch" (or at least one that will last a good long while), what I'm doing is adding all my modded content to a new module called "Native Revised".  You can do the same thing.  Just copy your entire "Native" folder and paste it in the same modules directory.  You can name it anything you want.  Apply all your mods to THAT module only, and chose to run it from the Warband splash screen.  This leaves you with a pristine Native module which is helpful in case you ever mess something up and want to get a file from it.

In any case, like I say, until TaleWorlds settles on a long term patch, I'm just adding my content to my Native Revised mod.  When a new patch is released, I make a new "Native Revised" and re-add all my content.  Just go ahead, make a new module, add this banner pack to it, and then when a new patch is released, do it all over again.  Hopefully they won't take as long to work out all the bugs (as I fear), and we won't have to do this stuff over and over again.

Does anyone have a better answer for this question, or know of any easier way to ensure that our modded content continues to work even when the game is re-patched?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered; if you incorporate this mod into native or litus, is it save game compatible, IE will I be able to choose again what my banner would be?

MarkQuinn said:
In fact if anyone wants to make their own banners, these came from a fantastic source:

http://www.nemzetijelkepek.hu/onkormanyzat-a_en.shtml (National and Historic Symbols of Hungary)

I'm assuming many of the Mongol-type images are a reference to the Mongol invasion of eastern Europe, but why they would want to celebrate that by putting it on about 10% of their county's coats-of-arms I have no idea.  But the beauty of this Hungarian source is they have a little mix of both the east and west, and thousands of images.  I would think they're public domain, as well.  Not sure of the legalities of it, since the colors and layouts of a flag can't be copyrighted, but a specific rendition of that flag could be.  If any of the municipalities of Hungary send me a cease and desist letter, I shall remove that particular image from the pack.

Hi,
As a matter of fact, I'm Hungarian.
You've made a very nice work with the coat of arms, I don't think that anyone would object about using the heraldry from the various settlements from Hungary.
As for the Mongol type images, well, those are not mongol stuff.
We, Hungarians were steppe nomads too a good 1100 years ago, just like the Mongols (or the Khergit :grin:).
We've settled down when we conquered the Carpathian Basin, and after that we took up a more European way of life.
But we (usually:razz:) have a very strong connection to our past, so it reflects in the heraldry and in many-many customs.
Anyway, nice work, I'll definitely use this mod from now on. :grin:

MarkQuinn said:
caddux, to be honest, I'm not sure.  Until TaleWorlds has settled most of the issues and releases a more or less "final patch" (or at least one that will last a good long while), what I'm doing is adding all my modded content to a new module called "Native Revised".  You can do the same thing.  Just copy your entire "Native" folder and paste it in the same modules directory.  You can name it anything you want.  Apply all your mods to THAT module only, and chose to run it from the Warband splash screen.  This leaves you with a pristine Native module which is helpful in case you ever mess something up and want to get a file from it.

In any case, like I say, until TaleWorlds settles on a long term patch, I'm just adding my content to my Native Revised mod.  When a new patch is released, I make a new "Native Revised" and re-add all my content.  Just go ahead, make a new module, add this banner pack to it, and then when a new patch is released, do it all over again.  Hopefully they won't take as long to work out all the bugs (as I fear), and we won't have to do this stuff over and over again.

Does anyone have a better answer for this question, or know of any easier way to ensure that our modded content continues to work even when the game is re-patched?

Thank you, Markquinn,
I'll see if I do this or wait for a final patch from Taleworlds. I'm quite new to modding and I'm a little afraid to mess the game. But I'll let you know if I try to do it now, as you said, and if it worked.

Again, thanks

Just downloaded and installed. These banners are an absolute delight! You, Sir, are on my christmas card list :smile:

Too many birds, animals and odd abberation mixes of both.  :wink:

P.S.
Very nice though. I like'em. Thankies for your time making it.

Those are great! Thank you!  :grin:

Is there a way to force a banner change? I'd love to use one of these banners, but I don't want to start a new game yet.

Back
Top Bottom