SP Native Better Banners Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

It's not that easy, if you want different banner without starting your game, you have to find your current banner in texture files, and then replace it with banner you want using some kind of picture editor (paint.net for example).

I was hoping someone would release a decent banner package. I might release my own soon enough as well, although it's nowhere near as comprehensive as yours.

This is an impressive work, congratulations! Yet I feel that for Native we should have better banners but following most of the current heraldry. My swadian banner reworked, a poor first attempt for my own "mod." :wink:

2duxm3m.jpg

Hey all.  Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Let me reply to some things.

bordapapa: I saw many images of a horseman holding the head of some defeated enemy (I think I included one).  Do you know what that's a reference to?  Is it Vlad the Impaler?  If so, I thought the Turks killed him, not the Hungarians.  Also, I saw MANY images with a knight or a horseman and some kind of peasant at his horse's feet.  The knight is protecting the peasant or showing kindness to him in some way.  I figured this was either a general symbol of nobility protecting commoners, or it must've been some specific historic event or mythical story.  I liked that imagery very much, and you can see I used it several times.  Sometimes I like to pick one of those banners, implying that my house has a tradition of benevolence, but --- for the sake of irony --- make those my most fearsome, bloodthirsty characters. :wink:

Nierra: You're probably right.  Sometimes I feel there's a lot of monotony in these as well. (EDIT: actually, when I think of it, it bothers me more that I added so many suns and moons.  It's true that they were a common theme in my source material, but in many cases I just pasted them onto the top of a flag to make up for an otherwise empty space.  In retrospect, I should've just left many of those empty.  Every flag didn't have to look so busy.  Now, when I play, I just pretend that Calradians have a particular fetish with astrological symbols)

Belisarius: If I understand you correctly, you're saying we should rework the existing heraldry of the game to keep their vanilla themes, but make them better?  If that's what you're saying, I love the idea.  I really do.  When I made this mod for MB 1.011, I was in such a rush to create something --- anything --- to substitute the many TaleWorlds banners that I didn't like.  So, aside from making sure "western" style banners went on the western pages, and "Khergit" style banners went to the Khergit page, I didn't pay much attention to whether these ones matched the originals.  But I like that idea and if you or someone made such a mod I would definately use it (again, I can't stress enough that such a task would be next to impossible without YellowMosquito's pack).  I would be careful to try to match your new colors to the originals as closely as possible, as well.  Because I didn't do that with these, and because M&B has some strange convention regarding the color on the back of a tabard (it's not always the same as the color on the front), I can't be sure what kind of strange combinations you might find with lords wearing heraldic tabards.  You might find purple fronts and green backs, or a dark shade of red on the front and a clashing light shade of red on the back.  So far I haven't seen anything too bad yet.

Saint-King: Yep.  It's compatible with any other mod as long as that mod doesn't change anything to do with banners or flags.

Last week I was complaining about the quality of certain banners, mostly clan banners, but I had no idea how to make my own until now. I think I'm going to make a huge pack of completely original and visually appealing banners for everyone to use, ESPECIALLY clans, as my first tribute to mount and blade. Hopefully it's not too complicated.

To add new banners with existing ones add the following lines to module.ini

load_module_resource = std_banners
load_module_resource = std_banners_default
load_module_resource = std_flags_vertical

skyy80 said:
Those are great! Thank you!  :grin:

Is there a way to force a banner change? I'd love to use one of these banners, but I don't want to start a new game yet.

If you want to be able to use your newly installed banner of your choice in a previous game and not have to start a new game, simply open menus.txt and search for the following line..

mno_action_modify_banner  1 31 2 144115188075856163 1  {!}Cheat:_Modify_your_banner.

change the 1 to a 0 and then save file.

Then simply load up your save game, select camp and take an action and you will seee an option to choose your banner.

REMEMBER to always back up your files before editing.

These are really nice, I even added them to my main folder so I don't have to look at the crappy native banners in multiplayer.

Outstanding work.

I did a good bit of bannermaking on the original M&B, would you be interested in incorporating some of my old banners (they were based on the banner standardization pack too) if you like them? I'll try to dig up the files later and you can feel free to use them.

They were an attempt to introduce realistic heraldry to the M&B world. I tried to follow the rules of european heraldry as closely as possible.

EDIT: Some of them, maybe all, are here. Hope this works, it's an old link.

2ca494.png

11id6p0.png

2iseald.png

29aqkjb.png

whiq82.png

2hyjbkg.png

2igiulz.png

Well, this thread certainly carries some impressive banner-work. And considering I need a few dozen new banners I would not at all be loathe to use some. Not all as some are not quite my taste, but I'd certainly be willing to use some of yours, MarkQuinn. :smile:

Hotcobbler, how about yours? Those free to use as well if I give credit? Because I certainly see one, two, three, maybe even four or five among yours I'd love to use. (Not that the rest isn't great. :wink:)

hotcobbler: thanks but I'm pretty happy with and use to the collection I have in there right now.  But if you want to make a banner pack you're free to include any of mine that you like.

Someone at the Repository asked if these worked with standard M&B.  They don't, but I uploaded the version that does.  It's all included in one file now (M&B + Warband).

Kizz said:
To add new banners with existing ones add the following lines to module.ini

load_module_resource = std_banners
load_module_resource = std_banners_default
load_module_resource = std_flags_vertical

I feel like an idoit asking ,but where is this module.ini? which your suppose to put the lines?

Edit: It's possible that I found it ,but there is lots of diffrent load_module things there where execly do I put it?

its in your main folder list of the mod you are using

mountblade warband\Modules\Litus\

for example then the file your looking for is called "module" open it in notepad and add it (scroll down and for example add it under "load_resource = barrier_primitives"

atleast thats what i did and works fine

Back
Top Bottom