Does buying supplies from a town increase prosperity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Atmostfear

Recruit
I have always wondered and have never had a clear answer to this.

If the answer is yes does this also include cattle.

It did increase prosperity of villages in the old mount and blade. 
3000 denars bought from the village would = 1 prosperity point increase.

For towns I think the only way to increase it would be making sure caravans and farmer parties reach town safely.

Pode said:
I *think* cows count more towards prosperity than money does, so buying cows from a village can make it poorer.
That's stupid. Unless the farmers are a bunch of low-life non-intelligent persons who can't count...oh wait...

Mastermind said:
Pode said:
I *think* cows count more towards prosperity than money does, so buying cows from a village can make it poorer.
That's stupid. Unless the farmers are a bunch of low-life non-intelligent persons who can't count...oh wait...
Fail.

And yes it is stupid if thats true, it should be the other way around  :???:

Trading a cow that converts grass into milk and additional cows for a one time lump sum that you can't invest (no banks invented yet) makes you poorer long term.  Planning on eating your silver denars?

I've always found the village and town prosperity to be a bit of a black spot in M&B, would be nice to finally get some good info on how it works and how to improve it. *Hint* *Hint* to any devs who decide to read this  :roll:

With all the looting of villages that goes on the player would have to make defending any one village his full time job to have any hope of it's prosperity going up.

Oh and farmer parties returning from their trip to town increases prosperity as well.

Berserker Pride said:
With all the looting of villages that goes on the player would have to make defending any one village his full time job to have any hope of it's prosperity going up.

Oh and farmer parties returning from their trip to town increases prosperity as well.

Would it be worth it, moneywise?

Well I guess all the bandit loot can be considered a bonus as well.  I've been seeing a lot of threads complaining about a neverending horde of bandits though.

CaseD said:
I've always found the village and town prosperity to be a bit of a black spot in M&B, would be nice to finally get some good info on how it works and how to improve it. *Hint* *Hint* to any devs who decide to read this  :roll:

I agree, I can't find exact answers about prosperity. You guys that have answered above, are you talking based on sure facts (maybe grasped from developers) or you just post what seems to be reasonable based on common sense? I just wanted to know.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that what Berserker Pride said is true, buying from village increases its prosperity (I think I had read it on M&B module system).

I'm sure about the stuff I have mentioned.  A couple other things that help prosperity is bringing cattle to villages and getting them grain as well.  I think that raises prosperity by 5 a quest.

CaseD said:

It's not that complex, but you don't get to see the numbers.

For villages:
Farmer parties leaving and returning to the village increase prosperity.
Economic quests (cattle, grain etc) increase prosperity once completed.
Buying stuff from the village as the player increases prosperity
Building certain buildings such as the windmill in your village increases it's prosperity.
Bandit attacks/infestations decrease prosperity.
Looting resets prosperity to 0

In addition there's a flux value. I'm not sure if it's random, or based on some factor like the prosperity of their town (i.e. if the town it's trading with is at high prosperity, the prosperity increases from farmer groups are higher).

For towns:
Caravans arriving increase prosperity
Farmers arriving increase prosperity
Economic quests for the town increase prosperity

Note in both cases, a farmer/caravan which leaves town and does not arrive at the destination reduces prosperity. So if you've got bandits camped on the doorstep prosperity will rapidly plummet every time a farmer party leaves and is attacked.
Range band seems to be higher for towns too, generally it takes a lot more caravans and farmers to increase a town's prosperity than it does for a village.

I just remembered something.  There is a trigger that randomly picks a town or village and sets it to medium prosperity.  I've seen it at work when the cheat mode messages are on.  So this could be good if your village just got looted but it could be bad if your high prosperity town is selected.

Archonsod said:
CaseD said:

It's not that complex, but you don't get to see the numbers.

For villages:
Farmer parties leaving and returning to the village increase prosperity.
Economic quests (cattle, grain etc) increase prosperity once completed.
Buying stuff from the village as the player increases prosperity
Building certain buildings such as the windmill in your village increases it's prosperity.
Bandit attacks/infestations decrease prosperity.
Looting resets prosperity to 0

In addition there's a flux value. I'm not sure if it's random, or based on some factor like the prosperity of their town (i.e. if the town it's trading with is at high prosperity, the prosperity increases from farmer groups are higher).

For towns:
Caravans arriving increase prosperity
Farmers arriving increase prosperity
Economic quests for the town increase prosperity

Note in both cases, a farmer/caravan which leaves town and does not arrive at the destination reduces prosperity. So if you've got bandits camped on the doorstep prosperity will rapidly plummet every time a farmer party leaves and is attacked.
Range band seems to be higher for towns too, generally it takes a lot more caravans and farmers to increase a town's prosperity than it does for a village.

Thanks a lot Archonsod. Yeah, it is not that complex. However you didn't mention buying something from a town, which is exactly what the title of this thread asks (I figured it out only now). So if I buy stuff from the goods merchant, is it going to change something for the town? And from arms or horse merchant?

For Berserker Pride, I remember too something similar that changes prosperity of villages or town, but it was more like with time prosperity points tend to converge towards medium prosperity.

Not sure. I've never seen a town's prosperity rise from me buying anything, however like I said the prosperity bands seem a lot wider for towns so it may simply be that the increase it generates isn't large enough to push it to the next level.

I'm hoping that it's a Quantity vs Price here?  With me owning Wercheg, it produces alot of Fish.  So I wouldn't be buying much Gold wise if I constantly hauled out Fish, compared to that Khergit City producing alot of Spice.

What about Tools? How many of them should I bring to village to see "Farm implements look rusty and broken" messages removed? Does this message actually mean something for lord who tryes to increase prosperity of a village?

Back
Top Bottom