SP Native Fantasy [WB] New Calradia - Magic Presentation Video Released

Users who are viewing this thread

Astral

Recruit
New Calradia

I have been scripting Mount&Blade for quite a while, and now that Warband is released, I thought I should make my very own first module. I want to implement features which I believe Mount&Blade has always lacked, such as: storyline, religion, magic, bandit and barbarian factions, character class system, mercenary armies. And so on.

Features
Storyline
New Calradia will have a storyline. When you left your home in Geroia for a while, your father passed away. That made you the last alive member of your family. Your fathers good friend, Albert, decides to help you out.

Religion
This is one of the most important features I believe that Mount&Blade has always lacked. Religion will be very important. If two factions share the same religious views, they will most likely become allies. Religion will also promote magic usage and allow the hiring of special troops.

Rhodok - Christian.
Swadia - Christian.
Vaegir - Christian.
Barbarian - Norse.
Nord - Norse.
Khergit - Tengriism.
Sarranid - Islam.

Magic
Depending on your religious views, you will gain access to magic. Each religion has a special style of magic. For example, the Norse magic mainly focuses on melee magic, while the Christian focuses on projectile magic.

Wands create small projectiles, like a magical arrow or a bolt. Staffs create bigger projectiles, such as a fireball or a ice wave. If you happen to find a Runestone somehow, you will have access to greater magic.

Class System
The player can choose himself a unique class. The class will give you starting advantages, but nothing too serious, so if you pick Warrior as a class, you can still become a Mage.

Knight - renown, charisma, ironflesh and persuasion are boosted.
Warrior - strenght, power strike, shield, athletics and ironflesh are boosted.
Archer - agility, power draw, athletics and ironflesh are boosted.
Mage - intelligence, charisma, persuasion and magical capabilities are boosted.

Paragon/Renegade System
Each action the player makes will define his characters personality. For example, if a Belligerent Drunk happens to come into your way and you decide to slay him, you will gain Renegade points. If you let him go you will gain Paragon.

New Factions
There will be three new "small factions" which you can't even join, these factions are Bandit factions. But one faction will be completely developed, and that is the barbarian faction.

Siburian Bandits - Vaegir bandits.
Steppe Bandits - Khergit bandits.
Berber Nomads - Sarranid bandits.

Barbarians - These barbarians settle in the north of Calradia. They share the same religious view with the Nords. They are fierce fighters in melee. Their attacks can devastate a knight in full plate. They fight brutally, usually cutting off their enemies limbs and eating them in the middle of the battle. However, they wear close to no armor, and that means that ranged units can wipe out entire armies of Barbarians easily.

Journal
I'm not completely sure if this feature will make it in, but I want to at least try. Basically, the player can access his Journal at the camp menu. There he can: write notes and view them later and start his very own "quests". What I mean is that the player sets up the quest title and description text himself and also cancel it at will.

Permanent Death
If you die, then you die for good. However, if your faith in a religion is strong enough, you will heal fully from your wounds.

Bridge Battles
If you start a battle near a bridge, then you will fight at a bridge. This will provide a tactical advantage.

Bank System
If you're worried about losing a great amount of your gold, then you can deposit your gold at a Bank. These banks can be found at towns all over Calradia. Alternatively, you can deposit your gold and earn rent. Depending on the amount of gold, you may receive up to 10% additional gold every day.

Lord Killing
Now you are able to kill the lords you capture. However, that is not a noble deed and will cause many other lords and the faction itself to hate you. To be able to kill a lord the noble way, you must challenge him to a duel of life and death. Be wary, as if you lose this duel, then you will die permanently instead.

Captain Choice
You can choose your Captain before battles. Fight as a companion while you stay behind!

Graphical Enchantment
I want to make the mod look even better than it is now. My aim is to make the whole world darker and grittier. Battles, even in day-time, will be darker.

Other
I just listed the main features in here. There are many other features I wish to add.

Media
Magic Presentation (v0.1 Alpha)

Credits
Thanks to Zaro for his Graphical Enhancement pack and Aquil for his Face Textures pack.

I would really appreciate any kind of feedback.
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I'll make the Vaegirs Orthodox. Gameplay-wise it's easier for me to implement them as "regular" christians.

This sounds interesting, but I have a few questions.

Astral said:
When you left your home in Geroia...
What is Geroia? I am Bulgarian, and in my language the word "hero" is "герой", (transliterated - "geroi"), therefore this should mean something like "Land of hero(es)". But what is it?

And about the religion:
Astral said:
Rhodok - Christian.
Swadia - Christian.
Vaegir - Christian.
Astral said:
the Catholic focuses on projectile magic.
I don't see any Catholics here.

Anyway, good luck.

Havoc said:
Magic? i quite like the lack of magic in M&B. Goodluck though.
Well, each to his own taste, I guess. I think I'll probably add a "switch" to magic, so you can disable it at the start of the game if you want.

Lumos said:
This sounds interesting, but I have a few questions.

Astral said:
When you left your home in Geroia...
What is Geroia? I am Bulgarian, and in my language the word "hero" is "герой", (transliterated - "geroi"), therefore this should mean something like "Land of hero(es)". But what is it?
Apparently, Geroia is a land in Mount&Blade. It is mentioned quite a few times by companions. So I thought I'd use it, since it's already in-game. Sort of.  :razz:

Lumos said:
I don't see any Catholics here.
Sorry. Fixed.

It's a good opinion.

Anyway, I'd really like if you guys would tell me what would you want to see in a mod. Feature-wise. And thanks for the feedback so far.  :wink:

I really like adding religion into the mix, I think it could add a little more depth into the game.  Will wands and staffs shoot a modified magic projectile?  Will they be limited in number of shots like bows/xbows are now?

ajen said:
I really like adding religion into the mix, I think it could add a little more depth into the game.  Will wands and staffs shoot a modified magic projectile?  Will they be limited in number of shots like bows/xbows are now?
Yeah, they'll be limited in uses. You need Magic Essence to cast something, and each time you use a wand/staff you will lose a bit of Magic Essence.

The magic projectile will depend on the weapon. A Fire Wand will shoot out a small ball of fire (particle system).

Good mod,but you are very mistaken in one thing,Christianity will NEVER allow magic,it is considered heresy and the use of black magic. Chucrh always burned alive,those who here considered doing it (as you obviously know). I think it should be even more lot interesting if you dont give christians ability to use magic,but give them some other abilities to counter-attack magic,but overall,make it so that every faction is balanced. Well this is your mod,and you can do anything you want with it,i just gave you an advice, Good luck,ill definetly download this when its released.

Astral said:
Tundra Bandits - Vaegir bandits.
Steppe Bandits - Khergit bandits.
Sand Nomads - Sarranid bandits.
I have better names. These sound too boring. As these will be factions, they should have a approriate name.

Siburians (As the Vaegirs are based on Russians -> Siberia)
People of the Steppe
Berbers (Sarranids are the Arabs, right? -> Berber Nomads)

Just something to think about.

Oh, and good luck! You have me an great idea...

Suggestion: Rename the religions to something fictional, especially Christianity - that should keep the debate at bay..
Apart from that: Great concept, looking forward to seeing it done!

Yeah, fictional names might be best. Since they talk of the Heavens and God in the default texts, it should be fine to inherit the language of the various religions more or less (also since the same names are used, e.g. count, emir, boyar...), but I suggest something a little more original as to the actual names.

Now, other than that, I think you should make it so that religion = culture. By converting the populace, you also convert the 'culture' of villages (since towns don't really matter, unless you'll make faction-specific inventories to them, which would be cool). Once converted enough, the villages will start spawning their culture's soldiers. I think that'd be a pretty nice way of actually eradicating another kingdom : instead of them just changing colour, their actual soldiers and people would disappear entirely. Of course, this would mean each kingdom should have a different religion - then again, you could just implement a separate culture slider as well...

Lords should have a new 'religious' trait (like they now have different personalities, e.g. nasty or honourable) - these would give quests like "this peace with the heathen Sarranids has gone on for too long, they must all be put to the torch in the name of the Maker" and the like (if "militant religious") and maybe "I want you to go spread the good word in the heathens in this and that village [+ relation with quest-giver, -relation with lord of other village, + culture/religion in village - quest would work like the 'raid' quest except wouldn't end up looting the village] if the lord is "honourable religious". And so on. Anyway, make the religion a presence otherwise than just "magic!"

Good initiative!

Thanks for your post, Wolfrug. Good thinking. And it shall be done.

Please give me good fictional religion names.
Also, uploading a video of the magic system (still in beta, though).

EDIT: Video uploaded..

Now that the Warband MS is released, I can start working.

I'd like if you guys would give me good fictional religion names. Make something up, I will be grateful.  :razz:

maybe, Trinity, Selene for Christianity and Islam.
I think having Christians have anti-magic powers like in Dragon Age would be pretty cool. Like magic bubbles and kryptonite.

Back
Top Bottom