Gentlemen's guide to dueling

Users who are viewing this thread

EDIT: well, I've no intention to touch WB with a ten foot clown-pole in the near future, but I imagine this guide became a touch outdated with the introduction of the duel mode.

Since Armagan and the team apparently didn't consider a gamemode dedicated to dueling a necessary addition, dueling has to be handled via DM. Because of this feelings tend to get heated every once in a while because of misunderstandings and such, even when we don't count the backstabbers, an unfortunately common species of illiterate halfwits. Because of that, and also because of being immensely bored, I have decided to write down some guidelines to newcomers and people who usually don't duel.

These are not necessarily strictly enforced rules, as those vary between different duel servers. These are general guidelines to follow if you wish other players to think you're a worthwhile opponent and a nice person. 

Challenging:
EDIT: With the implementation of the duel gamemode, all this blocking up to greet stuff can be ignored, but please, people. After the fight has started, back the **** down a few steps and give your opponent a few seconds to prepare. Repeatedly instakilling folks who accept your challenge isn't about mastering a working strategy, like some halfwit insisted a while back, it's about being an annoying ****.

-To greet, face your opponent and do an upwards block. Some people do some other block and when they come at me, I'm a touch uncertain whether I should attack them or not. It's not nice. Greet with an up block. If you have a shield, nudge it towards the sky(by looking up while you block) for a bit to make things more clear.

-When you greet, leave some distance, so that when your opponent accepts your challenge, he has a second or two to prepare. It is a dirty trick, and quite rude to walk up to hugging distance of your opponent with the upwards block, and the second he accepts, stabbing him in the gut before he has a chance to react.

-If the person you wish to challenge doesn't react to your upwards block, do not go kicking or punching him to get his attention. It's annoying, and may bring an end to quite a killing streak if he has low HP. Your opponent is most likely able to see you, but he may be writing something or altering his equipment, for example. If he doesn't accept your challenge, go look for someone else to fight, or wait until he finishes whatever he's doing.

During combat
:
-If you have multiple shields with you, it's generally not very nice if you switch to another one if the first one gets smashed. If your opponent smashes your shield, be a gentleman and rely on your manual blocking until one of you dies. This is a rule on the Einherjar server, although not a very strictly enforced one. I suppose using multiple shields is understandable if the person is quite a measly blocker, but it's also frustrating if the opponent happens to be a measly attacker as well.

-Let your opponent know what weapon you're planning to use against him. It's not very nice at all to have a person challenge me with a shortsword, and immediately switch to a gigantic warhammer and smash through my block. This is especially important on a duel server which allows ranged combat. If you have a shield and throwing axes for example, and you challenge by holding your shield up, your opponent can not see your throwing axes. He'll quite likely get mighty annoyed when he receives one in his forehead, too. Many unnecessary ban & kick polls can be avoided by following this simple guideline. Throw your axe to the ground next to you, or simply tell your opponent that you're using them.

-If you feel like jousting or some archery duels, and find people who wish to do that as well, be a gentleman and move away from the infantry duelists. The maps are large enough,  and everyone is happier when they don't have horsemen bumping into them in the middle of a duel and when they're not receiving stray arrows/bolts in the eyes.

-If you knock down your opponent, let him stand back up. Now this is the gentleman move. It's not necessary at all, and many people agree that you're using an advantage you well deserved when you kill an opponent you just knocked down with a blunt weapon. However, when I'm knocked down and instead of finishing me my opponent backs down and lets me stand back up, I wish there were an animation to raise my hat.

-Do not attack horsemen randomly just because they're on horse. While it's true that a good percentage of horsemen on duel servers are backstabbers about to lance duelists in the back, there's still a chance that they're not. They might just want to joust, or use the horse to move from point A to point B quickly, for example to train with a particular player away from the others.

General behaviour

-Be friendly. If your opponent is clearly worse than you, and getting frustrated, give him some hints & tips and general advice. LOL NOOB STFU & LERN 2 PLAY =/= constructive criticism.

-Swearing, calling names etc are ok as long as you make sure your opponents know you don't mean to offend. Add a smiley there somewhere.

-Kicking, feinting, spamming, hugging, backpedalling etc. Any of these words raise your blood pressure? Well tough ****. They're there to bring variety and balance to the combat. Please don't complain if your opponent repeatedly utilises one or more of these tricks. None of them are unbeatable strategies, if you have enough skill. I admit that falling to that same triple upwards strike - stab - upward strike feint five times in a row is embarrassing and frustrating, but to start calling my opponent an abuser or somesuch is just another of saying "I can't beat you, please be a worse player because I'm a bad loser and about to burst in tears" the way I see it.

-Polls. If you start a poll to kick/ban a person, always state why you're doing so. If the person is backstabbing, say "xxx has backstabbed me twice and I've witnessed him do so on others as well" for example before you start the poll. It makes things a lot more clear.

-Voting in polls. Now this is important. Whenever's there a poll to kick/ban person without any explanation offered to why the person should be kicked out, do not just vote yes, unless you're absolutely positive that the person being voted out is indeed breaking the rules, like the person has backstabbed you and/or you have witnessed him do so(don't decide by his nick if he's a backstabber or not, you may very well be wrong.) This is because the backstabbers are rude cocksuckers, and occasionally start polls to get rid of people who they dislike as well, like a person who stopped their killing spree, for example. I see this happen every once in a while, and it's quite underwhelming to see an innocent duelist get banned for nothing, just becuase the other players go "well he's probably just another backstabber. I'll just vote yes." I know the duel servers occasionally get crowded with backstabbers, and that it's very frustrating, but trust me. It's far more annoying to be banned for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and knowing that the ban poll was started by a backstabber himself.

Well, that's about all I can think of. Discuss.

I don't see much to discuss here. It's a perfectly formulated post that is sure to help newcomers and hopefully decrease the amount of times you get stabbed in the back by someone who's not aware of the rules while you're dueling.

I'm fairly new to multiplayer myself and the first server I ever joined was a dueling server. I have to admit that I fell in love with the concept of duels in Warband, mainly because I'm a sucker for skill based game modes that require more than just being in the right place at the right time with your weapon raised. I've played a lot of Jedi Academy in my days and I felt a very warm feeling inside when I read "dueling server" amongst the server names on the list. :smile:

What about insulting your dueling partners parentage, is this frowned upon or considered a legitimate dueling tactic?

As long as it's related to social status and not race. Human races that is. I have beaten many calculating and careful opponents by calling their dads drunken dalmatians or greasy greyhounds, causing them to lose their nerve and make stupid mistakes.

I'm just bumping my own thread because I think I'm such a great person, and also because there's still plenty of people challenging with a sideblock at hugging distance.

Duel mode would be a very good idea to implement. I loved duels in Jedi Academy. Too bad Australia only seems to have one server which is a 32 player deathmatch server... We used to have two, the other being a battle server but that disappeared.

In regards to the face hugging, I shall stop that. And hitting people on the ground: I never used to do it, but what with all these new guys who wouldn't think twice I decided to just finish them. Or do as UsF does, kickslash them :razz:

And I disagree with the last one. Backpedalling is a pain in the ass. I want to fight, not run after you :neutral: If someone starts backpedalling I just do it too and then when they start following me run forward and thrust. It'll learn the stupid **** to stop running away and get into some proper blocking.

I suggested a gamemode similar to Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy, but it didn't catch on. I suppose TW just didn't think it would suit WB.

EDIT: That's the right approach, actually. Adapt. If someone's strategy is based on backing up and waiting for you to attack, so he could dodge it and immediately do a counter attack, adapt. Don't play as they'd like you to, they'll grow impatient at some point and switch to a more agressive strategy. I've had ridiculously long stareoffs, when someone just chambers the stab attack and waits for me to come near, and I do it too.

Nahkuris avatar scares me  :neutral:

Good post though. Enforcing all this is another matter entirely. Hopefully by this post it will come to the attention of more people who frequent these servers.

Mordgrim said:
Nahkuris avatar scares me  :neutral:

I've always taken it as a personal homage, since I had Travis as my avatar in the wayback days. :wink:

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and make the switch. This thread is definitely much more up-to-date than the old dueling rules one.

yeah i actually naturally follow this conduct, as im always lookin to improve my gameplay, i wont rape someone on the ground, but will allow them to get back up, as for a fair fight, instead of just going for the win

Nahkuri said:
As long as it's related to social status and not race. Human races that is. I have beaten many calculating and careful opponents by calling their dads drunken dalmatians or greasy greyhounds, causing them to lose their nerve and make stupid mistakes.
Keep in mind that there are Dalmatians of the non-canine variety.  Be careful with your insults.

Nahkuri said:
-If the person you wish to challenge doesn't react to your upwards block, do not go kicking or punching him to get his attention.

Can't stress that enough.

If you're in the nK duel server and you see a guy who looks suspiciously like that merchant companion in singleplayer running around with his weapon sheathed, God help you if you attack him. It should be common sense not to attack someone with their weapon sheathed in a dueling server, and pestering the admin is not advised.

My general policy has always been that if some dingbat runs up and kicks me on the rump, or has a go at my gonads because I don't want to accept his challenge, I'll just consider that a random attack and take it as free license to cut them down. I really don't appreciate that sort of thing at all.

Back
Top Bottom