Nvidia 8800 GTX, roast for 8 minutes in 200°C. Add seasoning to taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Voutare said:
Sort of like the towel trick for the Xbox, I guess. I've done it twice, worked the first time, and the second time it worked for about a month.
Ya towel trick is amazing. It worked for a bunch of my friends, the ones that didn't burn their houses down. I kid of course, but the **** gets pretty damn hot.

The frosting would go well with the crispy sensation.
When you bite into it, its sort of like a... chip kind of crispy. Yes... a chip.

Leprechaun said:
PrinceGhaldir said:
Sushiman said:
How the **** does someone discover this?

"Ok, i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
i reflashd the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of oven trick

i put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS"

Just click the first link...
...Which then begs the question of how the trick was discovered for the xbox.

I knew someone would say that...

If you had a Geforce4 TI 4200 like I do, then you would have already done this to fix it.

Reverend L. Lamb said:
So... I just fixed my ruined 8800 GTX graphics card by baking it in the oven :???:

Went from heavy artifacting on startup followed by a BSOD to flawlessly running M&B on max graphics for 5 minutes, haven't had time to test it further yet.

Mindboggling ****ing stuff...

It's apparently a semi-legit way of fixing electronics in general:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658
http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/fix-your-broken-geforce-8800-gtx-putting-into-oven-64140/
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034145333&postcount=1

This is similar to me reading that putting a ps2 game in the microwave would fix it, needless to say, it didn't work out as I had hoped.

Lord Burgess1 said:
If you had a Geforce4 TI 4200 like I do, then you would have already done this to fix it.

Ha, I remember those. Great cards. Hope they're RoHS compliant though, else I'd say you've got lead floating about in your oven which wont be good for food.

Microwaves just resonate on the same frequency as water molecules, agitating them and causing them to vibrate and heat up the item.

It will never, ever fix a PS2 game and I'm surprised you didn't fix yourself a nice little explosion D:

My 8800 Ultra just kicked the bucket, I was going to try this if I can't send it back to the bloke I bought it off. Else I'll be stuck with my ****ty Radeon 2100 IGP...

Leprechaun said:
PrinceGhaldir said:
Sushiman said:
How the **** does someone discover this?

"Ok, i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
i reflashd the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of oven trick

i put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS"

Just click the first link...
...Which then begs the question of how the trick was discovered for the xbox.
Common sense? When the chips get loose by heat, heat can fix it?
tbh I'm surprised so few people know about this, It works for alot of electronics that died due to heat.

So.. how the hell did you manage to take your card apart? Mine refuses to let me undo the screws, some of which are ridiculously tiny!

\edit; nvm, didn't need to touch those screws anyways, now to go out and buy stuff to remove the thermal paste.

EDIT: Okay real question, I am assuming that I should remove the stickers?

Meh it won't come off anyways, so into the oven it is! 3.5 minutes down, 3 ish to go.

EDIT: I left in in the oven for 7 minutes.
Now cooling, hope this works...

**** some small piece fell out >_<

Apparently I melted the voltage coil off. Oh well! I am very disappointed it wasn't a success, but eh I knew failure was possible.

See the black round thing with a flat top near the upper right corner?
camera043.jpg

It now looks like this:
camera051.jpg

Interesting, I might test this to some old components which I was thinking about throwing away.

To ATI X1950 which broke some time back, and then to motherboard which wouldn't start without me blowing hot air to it with hair dryer. Processor zone needed to stay above 45 celcius just to run without freezing, which is probably result of heat enlargening its metal circuits, so this oven trick could enlarge them for good.

Although motherboards might have some other parts vulnerable to high temperatures, so it could break something else while fixing circuits.

Back
Top Bottom