Nvidia 8800 GTX, roast for 8 minutes in 200°C. Add seasoning to taste

Users who are viewing this thread

So... I just fixed my ruined 8800 GTX graphics card by baking it in the oven :???:

Went from heavy artifacting on startup followed by a BSOD to flawlessly running M&B on max graphics for 5 minutes, haven't had time to test it further yet.

Mindboggling ****ing stuff...

It's apparently a semi-legit way of fixing electronics in general:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658
http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/fix-your-broken-geforce-8800-gtx-putting-into-oven-64140/
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034145333&postcount=1

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to put it in the oven in the first place?

Unless they or (someone they know) have certain data which would result in assuming that putting the thing in a high temperature environment for a certain duration of time would result in it working again.

I actually stumbled upon many of these articles when my 8800 fried, apparently it reheats and remakes the solder links and whatnot.

Of course it sounded like bull**** so I bought a new 9800.
I also know nothing about ovens, I'd probably break it somehow.

The first article Lamb posted explains it well enough. Basically it just redoes all the solders (so if there's a broken one, it becomes bridged) at once instead of going through the painstaking task of finding the correct connection and resoldering it. I'd think it's risky though, it could be that a connection is in fact lost because the cooling went wrong.

Interestingly funny. :lol:

Sushiman said:
How the **** does someone discover this?

"Ok, i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
i reflashd the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of oven trick

i put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS"

Just click the first link...

PrinceGhaldir said:
Sushiman said:
How the **** does someone discover this?

"Ok, i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
i reflashd the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of oven trick

i put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS"

Just click the first link...
...Which then begs the question of how the trick was discovered for the xbox.

I fixed my Xbox once; took it all apart, replaced the motherboard clamps with screws and it all worked great. Then I left the casing off because I figured I'd change the fans whilst I was at it to prevent any further overheating and my girlfriend kicked the casing one day when she was over. Cut her foot pretty bad, but worst of all is it broke it again so I bit the bullet and just bought an elite as well as a swanky new TV.

Revilo said:
I fixed my Xbox once; took it all apart, replaced the motherboard clamps with screws and it all worked great. Then I left the casing off because I figured I'd change the fans whilst I was at it to prevent any further overheating and my girlfriend kicked the casing one day when she was over. Cut her foot pretty bad, but worst of all is it broke it again so I bit the bullet and just bought an elite as well as a swanky new TV.

Curse you, Bill Gates owns too many souls.....too many...

Evilknightz said:
Revilo said:

Curse you, Bill Gates owns too many souls.....too many...

Hey, it gave me an excuse to get a new TV with built in Freeview. Freeview that I've just heard is going HD at some point.

Sort of like the towel trick for the Xbox, I guess. I've done it twice, worked the first time, and the second time it worked for about a month.

Back
Top Bottom