Help with Host a Game

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been trying to setup a non-dedicated server using the "Host a Game" option in the multiplayer section inside the game. The problem is, once started nobody was able to see it in the server list, even when "Add to official game servers list" was checked in the server options. Each of us tried to host per turns, pressing "start search" and "refresh" several times for several minutes to make sure it wasn't a problem with the master server not updating the server list fast, but to no avail.

So, questions:
  • Do you need to open a specific port in your router or firewall to start a non-dedicated server?
  • If so, which port?
  • How do you search for a specific IP address for servers without the option "Add to official game servers list" activated? There's no right-click popup menu for that purpose, nor an input field, nor anything I can find, which makes that option mandatory. If it's purpose is to differeciate LAN from internet servers, then the name of the option should probably reflect that, IMO.

The point is, I've seen non-dedicated servers listed, so it's definitely possible to start one. We probably were missing some basic and silly thing but the information on this subject is scarce at best. Any info you can provide on this will be more than welcomed.

Thanks.

I'd like to know how to do this too. Would be mighty fun to play with 0 ping :razz:

I fixed this issue by opening ports 7240 - 7245 on my router.

The reason info is so scarce is that this option wasn't available in the beta, so it's new to everyone.

HTAPAWASO said:
I fixed this issue by opening ports 7240 - 7245 on my router.

The reason info is so scarce is that this option wasn't available in the beta, so it's new to everyone.

really? please can you teach me how to do it?

It's different with each router. Your best bet is to check this site and click on the name of your router in the list below.

You'll see a list of games to setup your router with. Warband isn't there, so just click any game and read the turorial. Follow the steps and just change the ports for the ones provided by HTAPAWASO instead of the listed there.

kenoxite said:
It's different with each router. Your best bet is to check this site and click on the name of your router in the list below.

You'll see a list of games to setup your router with. Warband isn't there, so just click any game and read the turorial. Follow the steps and just change the ports for the ones provided by HTAPAWASO instead of the listed there.

Thank you very much,but iv got a little problem here... i havent got a router here,iv got a different internet,i think its called Fiber Optic or something like that in English,i dont know well :sad: any ideas about that?

GeorgianCrusader said:
Thank you very much,but iv got a little problem here... i havent got a router here,iv got a different internet,i think its called Fiber Optic or something like that in English,i dont know well :sad: any ideas about that?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that kind of connection but if you don't have a router then you definitely have a modem. It can be external (a thing on your desktop with wires and a green light :smile:) or internal (inside your computer). In any case, there are several modems listed in the site I posted above, along with routers. Try to get its model name and search for it. Other than that I'm afraid I can't help you further.

Don't bother about your "physical" connection, wether it is cable, fiber, sattelite, whatever. Do the port forward, UDP. You may choose different ports.

Hint: Sometimes it takes a lot of refresh to see it come up, especially if not on a dedicated server per se and hosted from home.

Hint: With Steam and Xfire you may see the IPs of the servers which your buddies are connected to, although there's no way you can select which server to join via IP input.

Google it :smile:

Theres a manual for each type of router online i'm sure to help users to setup games :smile:

Also be sure to setup your router and firewall.

Hethwill said:
Google it :smile:

Theres a manual for each type of router online i'm sure to help users to setup games :smile:

Also be sure to setup your router and firewall.

Ok ty,but one thing.. how can i know what router do i have? i downloaded a Port Forwarding softwares but it requires me to select my router model,which i dont really know...

You probably got some sort of mixed modem, router.
Write 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something like that in your browser. That should take you to some kind of configuration page even if you don't use a router and there you should be able to open a port or something.
If it's not working try open the Command Prompt and write: ipconfig and then press enter.
Check what your Default Gateway is and write the numbers into your browser.

Btw. I have opened the required ports but I have the same problem as you with the server not showing up for other players.
And if you don't activate the "Show on official server list" option you'll just host a local server.

My tips is to download the dedicated server files. They are easy to use too.

Timmo92 said:
You probably got some sort of mixed modem, router.
Write 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something like that in your browser. That should take you to some kind of configuration page even if you don't use a router and there you should be able to open a port or something.
If it's not working try open the Command Prompt and write: ipconfig and then press enter.
Check what your Default Gateway is and write the numbers into your browser.

Btw. I have opened the required ports but I have the same problem as you with the server not showing up for other players.
And if you don't activate the "Show on official server list" option you'll just host a local server.

My tips is to download the dedicated server files. They are easy to use too.

I cheked now and it turned out that those ports were already opened for me,but my friend still cant see my game even if i host it locally and we are connected. I used dedicated server files too ( i only tried sapmles) but it hosts game officially so we still cant play... 

Thanks everyone for help.

Make sure your firewall is set to allow Warband. Just in case add the UDP port your wish, defaul is 7243 if i'm not mistaken.

Go to your modem/router admin page. In many cases it's something like 192.168.1.254, being the 254 the adress for your home connection "gateway".

There you will find the interface allowing you to make the port forwards.

Make sure your incoming port translates into the port you wish. For easy setup, use 7243 into 7243.

Hope you can sort it out.

I finally managed to try the "Host a Game" option today. We opened the ports and waited several minutes searching and/or refreshing the server list in hope the server was listed. It wasn't.

So, there's something definitely wrong here. Maybe those aren't the ports, maybe this feature doesn't work as intended, maybe we are unlucky.

Anyway, I give up on this. Thanks to all of you who tried to help.

Same deal here... and no servers at all show up on the join list. I can't host or join.  Lol

Are we sure the server defaults to 7243?

Back
Top Bottom