How do you become a king in warband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Some of you might not know this because a lot of people dont even know this or have a hard time with it but you can convice other vassal's from other kingdoms to join your kingdom but beware the king of the kingdom gets pissed at you so I suggest you only do it with kingdoms your at war with, btw if you have a companion who can go to the kingdom your at war at and can gather info, do it cuse you learn all you need to, and people who have no fiefs low rep in there kingdom and hate there king very much are most likley to join you more and if your militalry more safe and feels more confy with you and your compainion. (So far with my kingdom I won against the new faction, TAKE THAT SULTANATE) and with that I was able to take contol of there entire kingdom and I conviced one of there lords to join me and there screwed cuse they have no fiefs lol.

Maybe, not sure.
I was going through the menus with Rolf, and I eventually got to tell him "I aspire to be the ruler of these lands" and sent him to all the villages to spread the word of my nobleness.

I was a noble birth guy.

But I kinda disobeyed the king by capturing a peaceful king. He didn't like me anymore, so I deleted him. :razz:

deleated? i could do with editing my king. How did you do that?

You know whats rediculas is my king has taken the last 4 feifs for him self and i ahve 640 renown and only a village. why am i not getting any  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . I know my chance is higher if i lead the attack bnut the king wasn't either and ive seen the formulee its very hard to get new fiefs once you own  so much and the king owns everything

I've just signed up to this forum to try and offer some guidance in this area.

To become a king, there's several steps you must take. Going on the assumption you're spending the initial portion of  the game as a mercenary/vassal of an established King, the MUST DO steps are:

Recruit a party - Ymira, Benduk and the other named recruitables through taverns - this will be the backbone of your new empire and some will make up your initial Lords. I typically assign one or two as "Diplomats" - that is, level them up so there is a high persuasion skill (which, IMO should be a charisma skill, not intelligence, but there we go)
Make friends! Relationships will make the difference as time passes - I'm unsure if it makes much difference BUT if you go the war route, it can't hurt to utilise those relationships to give yourself a few hours breathing room.
Decide whether you're going down the marriage route or not - I understand it's not essential to do so, though you gain some Right to Rule (RtR) from it *I think* as well as the facility to hold feasts (haven't done this yet)
If you're going to rebel against your liege, you must capture a castle or city (Cities (Praven, Velucia, Wercheg, etc.. ) are probably the best to go with economically speaking, castles are usually easier to capture on a troop to troop basis
If you're not going to rebel, and renounce your liege instead, you simply talk to your King and tell him so. You'll lose relationship with him either way. Renouncing your liege and holding properties is a surefire way to start your kingdom off at war with your former colleagues
Also, if you're doing it the "peaceful" way, you'll need to get a negative relationship with another faction BEFORE you can assault one of their cities. Either pick on one of their lords, raid one of their caravans or attack some of their citizens moving between a village and city. You cannot besiege a castle/city until you have a negative relationship with that faction (not the lord, the FACTION)

At this point, whether peacefully or under threat of war, you'll be prompted for a name for your new faction.

This is where your "captains" come in (those named NPCs you recruited from taverns). Start sending them around to promote you as a new legitimate heir to the throne. You'll only be able to send one or two at a time, so plan for this. Also plan for not having your captain for some time as it will take time for them to accomplish their task. With each one, you can get a RtR raise of +3.
Now you need to protect your assets. This is also where your "diplomats" come in to play. Once you've assigned your minister (Partner/Random person/Captain), start sending those with persuasion to other factions to built a rapport with earn some recognition (raises to your RtR).

When recruiting opposing lords, be consistant. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear - they WILL call you on it and that can only be a negative thing.

This is rough and probably full of holes but it should be enough to get you started. The most important this is don't rush it. Bide your time and once you've taken the decision to be independant, stop capturing assets for your current liege - a weakened kingdom is a good starting point to build your own.

Oh, and you can't "delete" a king, nor edit them, as far as I'm aware. If your king isn't assigning you fiefs, check your Controversy (can be found in the "characters" section - easiest way to get it it is to hit "Q" for Quests, then click "Characters" at the bottom) - a high controversy means you're less likely to get offers. While I haven't fully explored this concept, I do think it's greatly tied in to how well you protect your current assets - if your fiefs are being raided and not prospering, this will sky rocket - not a good thing..

I believe you can not become king of a already faction you must Make a new faction and defeat that faction then Rename your kingdom it its name and bam your the king of that faction :grin:

first of all you must not be in any fanction..
then just siege one castle or town....i would reather castle beacuse towns have really strong army..
then when you take the castle it will ask you if you wont to have castle for yourself click yes beacuse you cant give it to anyone else cuz u only have one castle then when you have more castles or town you can give them to your warrior that you both him or her on tavern....anyway
it will ask you for what flag you want asswell.. pick witch one you want to have and that is it you start to build your own kingdom.....

ps: watch out when you take a castle or town the enemy army will be atacking like crazy beacuse it will wont t take castle back garrison as much army as you can in.....
and dont join any fanction beacuse youll lost all the castles and towns...
good luck

[In Warband]
Just want to be perfectly clear...

-So you can't become king, ie rise to power, from being a vassal in an existing faction no matter how much every other vassal in the kingdom may like you and support you.
-The only way to become king is to either take territory from never being a vassal or to renounce your existing vassalage and keeping your territories.
-You can't edit savegames to do this either? [where exactly are the games saved anyway?]

Also, when you do rebel from your kingdom, you do get pretty nastily pummeled from all sides so you need vassals of your own to defend and command.
3 questions kind of about this,
-You can convert vassals that are in other kingdoms to your cause by "talking to them privately". Assuming that you choose the 'correct' goal in your aim for rule, how much do they have to like you and at what persuasion skill, generally?
-You can also appoint companions to be your vassals. Can your companion vassals ever renounce their vassalage or is it only non-companion NPC's that can do that?
-I was Vaegir when I rebelled and I noticed that my newly appointed vassal, Jeremus, raised an army of Vaegir units. When you are a rebel King, what units do your vassals typically get/ what units do you raise from recruiting from your cities? Do you just get the units from the kingdom you rebelled from? [this raises some party moral problems when you're fighting your previous kingdom]. And if you never committed to a king from the start, what units can you raise from your taken cities?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really curious about these game mechanics.

LaXo said:
Lennit said:
You need to have negative relations with the faction that you're trying to take a castle/ town from.

The enemy hate me and i leave my factions , but i cant attack a castle/town. Thats **** , because in Wercheg are only 100 defender and its easy to take.
I tried to get it as vassal and than leave the faction again , but than i have nothing.

Any help?

you have to have at least 50 men in your party i think

No, I've sieged before with no more than 10 or 15. I assume that you could even siege a castle by yourself. However, the building times for the ladders/towers would be huge.

SciHunter said:
No, I've sieged before with no more than 10 or 15. I assume that you could even siege a castle by yourself. However, the building times for the ladders/towers would be huge.

You can't siege if you have no army - even with ladders (I don't think - I know you need to have SOME troops to siege with a tower). Why you'd want to try it with 10-15 is unfathomable, unless you're REALLY good with your weapons or are using cheat mode/a trainer to top up your health. Though that would be excellant for your renown.....

YongQing said:
Ok, I am a king now and I defeated all the other kingdoms. So what happens next? =/

you start a new game and do it agin or get some mods.

liwolfbyte said:
SciHunter said:

You can't siege if you have no army - even with ladders (I don't think - I know you need to have SOME troops to siege with a tower). Why you'd want to try it with 10-15 is unfathomable, unless you're REALLY good with your weapons or are using cheat mode/a trainer to top up your health. Though that would be excellant for your renown.....
even then, the enemy will clusterf**k around u n u wont be able to get a single hit in...><

is it possible to become king of an allready existing faction beside found your own realm and steal each vassal one by one?

You can't usurp a current faction - you have to start your own. Once established, build your right to rule through companion missions. As you build relationships with other lords, you'll eventually get the stance necessary to attract other lords and/or make them defect. A high relationship with opposing Lords helps.

There are 6 companions that are of Noble Blood (and one who claims he is, but isn't) - these make good starting lords.

Oh god, I was so hoping to become King of the Rhodoks, I conquered EVERYTHING for them, save the Khergits..., oh well, time to conquer for myself...

Back
Top Bottom